Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Numbers on headset?

I don't know all the terms so pardon me if I use the wrong ones but what are the numbers that I see on my headset?

I see a +8 and a -16 between the space of the two bolts that attach the stem.

Thanks,
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

What you probably have is a Specialized stem. I know Specialized has stems like these, but I'm not sure of others. These stems can provide multiple angles, usually 5 angle positions, based on using shims with said angles. You are seeing the readout on the shim. Go to the Specialized site and look under Equipment/Component/Stems and it will help explain. I provided a link but sometimes these direct links don't work on this site.

Yep, that's the insert on a Specialized stem. The number that lines up with the arrow on the right side is the one that indicates the angle of your stem relative to horizontal.