Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Is it cross season yet?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got a cross bike and I'm so excited to get into a race! The first one around here is Sept 12th. It's called Pain on the Peak. What a great name for a race (and how scary that I think that).

Anyone else getting excited for cross?

I keep thinking about it. One of the local LBSs holds a clinic for first timers in the fall. I'd have to use my steel road bike, which we think can be outfitted with fatter tires. There are weekly training rides which I'd like to try if I could not make a complete fool of myself. Well, I guess that's not going to happen as I pretty much make a fool of myself without even trying on a daily basis. But I don't want to get in the way of the serious guys. I went to see one of those training rides last year, and there was only 1 woman, and she was on a MTB, and I thought she was totally brave. Most of the guys looked pretty skillful, but you gotta start somewhere. I think it looks like an awesome workout, which would be my main reason for trying it.

Training races have started and first real one is under the lights this year! About a month.

redrhodie; Definitely give it a go. Don't worry about things. Just jump in an go. It's a blast.

I'm looking forward to trying out 'cross this year... Just wish I had two sets of wheels for my bike (specialized tricross). Not looking forward to switching out tires frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by lo123 View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying out 'cross this year... Just wish I had two sets of wheels for my bike (specialized tricross). Not looking forward to switching out tires frequently.
    Can you get a set of tires that can do both? I'm looking for narrower tires because I'm so slow on the ones that came stock on my bike (the bike's a Redline - not sure what the tire brand is off hand). Knobbier/wider might be good when it gets really muddy, but in the early season it seems like I could go with a less knobby tire and go a little faster (and hopefully not be last!).

But I've never done this before, so don't take advice from me!

Where have you been? It started a few weeks ago.

A couple of my teammates and I made the 10 hour trek from Cincinnati OH to the New Jersey State Fair for SpectraCross. It was a non sanctioned race. First day saw rain for 20 hours straight. Got the course good and ready. Couldn't believe we had so much mud for an August race.

Woo Hoo!

Our first real weekend of racing here in the Ohio Valley starts September 19. Come on already.

Jeni

Quote Originally Posted by tjf9 View Post
    Can you get a set of tires that can do both? I'm looking for narrower tires because I'm so slow on the ones that came stock on my bike (the bike's a Redline - not sure what the tire brand is off hand). Knobbier/wider might be good when it gets really muddy, but in the early season it seems like I could go with a less knobby tire and go a little faster (and hopefully not be last!).

But I've never done this before, so don't take advice from me!
    Well, I've really gotten into road riding...

I bought a cross bike because of the flexibility of being able to go off road, but I've done almost all road since I got skinny road tires (and plan to continue group road rides through the 'cross season). I want a road bike, but don't have the $ yet. So, the temp solution is different wheels because changing tires multiple times a week sounds like a real pain in the rear.

When I put the skinny tires on my 'cross bike, I picked up about 4 mph on my average speed and was actually able to hang with people on group rides. I highly recommend trying it.

Ugh...I am SO not ready for cross yet. Being a slug over the summer is not paying big dividends right now

I'm glad this thread started! While I have only raced one cross race two years ago, I have the bug for this season. I am counting the days until the first CCCX race in the Monterey area. Has anybody else raced in that series before? I get nervous and excited whenever I think about September 20th!

I'm looking forward to the season starting, but after doing 'cross for 8 years, I'm weary of the season starting too early, and it seems to start earlier and earlier every year. I go full throttle every weekend until mid-Dec., and by then I'm definitely burned out, so I won't start till October.

But I just got a new bike, sooooooo . . .
    Last edited by Voodoo Sally; 08-20-2009 at 01:03 PM.