Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

You favorite ride?

To disable ads, please log-in.

One of the great thing about this forum is that posters are from everywhere. Everyone has their own local expertise. I would love to hear what your favorite local rides are, or what you would like to do in your area.

Montreal: My favorite local rides:
    1. Doing the Tour de L'Ile: this is a 52 km annual tour which goes through many neighbourhoods of Montreal. Crazy amount of people - 35,000 this year. Very family friendly. Apparently in the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest cycling event (over 40,000 one year). Just celebrated its 25th anniversary along with Cirque du Soleil, whose animators were on site to cheer us one.
    2. Doing an actual tour of the island (app. 130km): saw places that I did not know existed after living here for so long. Great to do during the summer on a weekend when there are so many things going on - boat races, etc.
    3. The Gilles Villeneuve race track (where F1 formerly raced). Great for finding out how fast you can go. Close to that neighbourhood: go on a Wednesday or Saturday evening during the summer and watch the international fireworks competition.
    4. Future trip: up north to try Le Petit Train du Nord (200 km part asphalt, part hard gravel). Heard so much about it. Need to get my hybrid soon.

Local notes:
    1. The bike path network is getting better all the time especially with the introduction of the Bixi (bike stations around the city that rent bikes - just introduced this year and apparently it is very popular).
    2. Watch out - our city's cyclists can be notorious for blowing through red lights, etc. And the drivers have a reputation too. Stick to the great bike path network. I ride to work 13 km each way to Old Montreal and I don't have to touch a road until I am practically at my office steps.
    Last edited by e.e.cummings; 07-13-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Tried to bold my title, does not work