Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question How do you carry your flat kit?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've risked it for almost a year and left my flat kit at home... but then i got a flat and had to walk a couple of miles before I someone tossed me a spare tube!! I want to avoid that ever happening again but I'm unsure of how to carry all that stuff. On my road bike i use a saddle bag, but i've never seen anyone use one of those mtn biking. Also, I don't always take a camelbak with me riding.

How do you carry a spare tube and flat kit?!

hmm

I have a Ground Effect Spinal Tap & everything fits nicely. You don't have to put the hydration pack in...

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/produc...il-SPI-BAG.htm

Whoops, sorry...It helps if i read posts properly...:0

I can put my saddle pouch on my mtb but don't normally as i'm bad & don't drink enough with just a water bottle to try & reach.
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 07-13-2009 at 04:39 AM.

On my mountain bike, I carry tire levers, tube and patch kit in small saddle pouch. Actually, that is all that I can fit in this small pouch.
    Burning fat, building fitness . . . one mile at a time . . . one hill at a time.

Saddle pouch holds spare tube, CO2, patch kit, tools. Not much room for anything else.

Bento box is for my daily stuff - inhalers, phone, $$, keys, munchies
    Beth

Just go tubeless.

In all seriousness, DH uses a small pouch with a CO2, tire levers and carries a tube in his back pocket when racing.

You can also mount a good hand pump to your frame. The Topeak Morph pumps are pretty strong stuff.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

On regular rides, I carry everything in my CamelBack. While racing, I use a seatbag to carry tube, CO2 and a multi tool.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

why wouldn't you carry this stuff on a MTB? It's not the weight...?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I've got the Schwinn version of a fanny pack that I've got on the front of my mtb, but it's heavy. It does carry all my fix-it tools, though, plus my phone, keys, First Aid kit, and tissues (my nose runs a lot while riding). D*H thinks it's pretty ridiculous, and I agree with him, so I just ordered a seat bag and a bento box from TE here.

Somehow carrying all the same stuff in two smaller bags makes more sense than the one big bag on the front of my handlebars. Go figure.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Camelbak, but then I always wear one on the MTB. If I didn't I'd move the seat bag over from the roadie.

Ditto on the seat bag for tube & levers. Jandt used to make a really nice small one that is perfect for this. DH has a nice frame pump, I keep one in my pack.

For MTB, you want a nice little one that won't get in the way of your body english when riding.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I have a small seatbag for 1 tube, tire changer, and patch kit for when I ride with tubes. When I'm tubeless, I carry just the inflator and an old tire to be used as a boot. I keep a spare tube handy even though I'm riding tubeless. Note to self: Duck tape would probably be a good idea to carry too.
    Last edited by sundial; 07-13-2009 at 02:33 PM.

I carry a multi tool, a couple of co2 cartridges, a tube, and some tire levers either in my pocket of my jersey; or more usually in my camelback since I don't use water bottles when I mountain bike. They get too dirty and are too hard to drink from when I am bouncing around on a bunch of rocky trails.

You can use a small saddle pack; but I don't ever put the tubes in those because sooner or later the tube will get rubbed by the zipper and be damaged.

I have a tiny seatbag (PI) that holds one tube in a ziplock bag, (folded around and rubberbanded to protect the tube), a co2 pump, a cartridge and a couple of tire levers, and that practically disappears under my saddle. I can squeeze in 2 tubes and 2 cartidges in a pinch but then it bulges a little more.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

thanks for all the input everyone!! Im glad to hear that other people use saddle bags on their mtn bikes! Has anyone used a water bottle to hold their flat kits? I was thinking of doing this since I dont use my water bottle cages anyways... and this way i wont have something flopping around behind my seat and i wont have to carry my camelbak.

thanks again!!