Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Back in the 80's it seems to me, that every time I went in the bike store the chamois shorts had real chamois in them, meaning the kind of sheepskin that comes from real sheep. I haven't seen any of those recently, and I wonder if it would help? I don't even know if those are made anymore, or if it would be prohibitively expensive. It seems like a natural material would alleviate some female issues. Also, I try to not get any soap directly onto that area when I shower, just because it might get irritating. I did a century yesterday, and I used chamois buttr for the first time. I think I am probably less chafed than I might have been, but I still fell like someone dragged me through the sand! Not on any real important parts, but where my underwear seams are hitting it today.

There's a reason they don't use natural chamois any more, and it's not just the painstaking care it requires. That stuff was awful for chafing.

Shorts designed for indoor cycling usually have a pretty minimalist chamois. I really like my ancient Terry shorts with the fuzzy cloth pad. Lots of people prefer "spinning" shorts for their outdoor rides, too - the only drawback is that the inseams tend to be shorter, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I spent years in wool cycling shorts with real chamois. It was horrible. The chamois dries out and feels like cardboard covered with sandpaper. It takes alot of care to keep it supple and I can't remember what I did nor didn't do, but the result was terrible.

Like everybody else said: Cleanliness (but don't use antibacterial soaps and don't overwash), getting out of your shorts right away, and having a the right fit and right saddle are the most important. Also stay away from sugar (hard one for me, as I have a huge sweet tooth), drink lots of water, not just sports drinks, and of course general very good nutrition.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    For me, the solution was a Brookes Finesse Saddle, adsjuted so the nose is level, but that means the rear is quite a bit higher.
    Is this on your zippy bike? I am having problems with my Brooks Flyers S on my Roubaix. It seems that my zippy bike geometry means less comfort in the saddle. I've got the nose tilted down a wee bit( about 2 mm from level) and I feel the pressure on my wrists now.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Is this on your zippy bike? I am having problems with my Brooks Flyers S on my Roubaix. It seems that my zippy bike geometry means less comfort in the saddle. I've got the nose tilted down a wee bit( about 2 mm from level) and I feel the pressure on my wrists now.
    Yeh, even on my cervelo RS I have a brooks finesse. Its on a super laid back seat post (look ergopost 2), cuz the rails are a bit short, but it works for me. I also have a shallow drop bar (3T ergonova team), and I don't have a very aggresive position, i.e. my bars are nearly level with the nose of my saddle.

So...I realize you made this post a while ago...but.... I stumbled upon it today (new member), and wanted to throw my two cents in. I used to get Yeast/UTi/BV ALL the time a year ago. Luckily, I haven't had one in quite some time. Much like you---once I got one---it was really hard to get rid of.

Preventatively, I have started using baby soap in the shower to wash---neutral (not acidic or basic, so it won't throw off your personal vaginal PH/kill the flora/fauna).

Yeast infection: i had another friend who had chronic yeast infection have great success with the use of garlic. She ate a lot of it---and also inserted it vaginally for a few hours wrapped in cheese cloth. It fixed her up well and killed her cycle of continual infection.

Garlic didn't work as well for me, but preventatively, douching with a baking soda/water mix anytime I start feeling any type of internal comfort/itching has 99% of the time kept me from developing any type of full infection. A gyno recommended this to me once, and it is a life saver! I know usually douching is bad (and even this can be overdone probably)....but.... this has been great. I rarely need it now---but....when I do--it works really well.

HOpe things have cleared up for you!

How much baking soda and how much water?

I used to get infections a lot at your age. Finally had a gyn tell me that after my ride, get into the shower ASAP & wash with mild soap. Then dry the entire area with a hairdryer (big hint - use the cool shot button! ). You might have to put one foot on the sink to get at everything - I mean really really dry. Then put on some loose shorts & go commando (without underwear) as long as you can.

Works for me.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I spent years in wool cycling shorts with real chamois. It was horrible. The chamois dries out and feels like cardboard covered with sandpaper. It takes alot of care to keep it supple and I can't remember what I did nor didn't do, but the result was terrible.
    Oh man - I remember the "real chamois." I never could get it supple again. Horrible. And they were men's shorts because that's all I could find. We're talking B.I. (before internet) when I had to rely on my LBS - run by adolescents would sneer when I walked in. Also used men's shoes because you couldn't find women's shoes.

And now we have T.E. - who'da thunk it?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I too realize this thread is a little old now but I have a suggestion to anyone with this problem that is a homeopathic remedy. If you take a small spray bottle and put water (a cup and a half) and about a teaspoon of tea tree oil in it, shake it and spray it on your girl stuff before, after whenever you feel that nagging tingling or itching feeling. It will help and it is a natural antiseptic so it keeps things from getting irritated.

Yeah that tea tree works really well, as good as vinegar!
    Oh and nest shorts in WORLD - skins womens cycling ones.
    Conquering illness, one step at time.