Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

You ladies are great with the advice!

I always wear clean shorts and always wear the padded shorts (mountain or road bike rides). I eat so many fruits and veggies, some would be disgusted to learn I like shredded carrots cooked in with my oatmeal. I could use more protein, though. I don't eat beef at all.

Do you guys think I should try Monistat and Chamois Butter or one over the other? I'm afraid the Chamois butter will hold in moisture making me more likely to get a yeast infection in the first place.

Monistat and Chamois Butt'r have 2 different purposes. The Butt'r is for lubrication, to reduce friction. I would not recommend putting it on your girly parts; there are lots of threads about this.. I put it on my rear or in the crease of my legs. However, i have replaced it with Body Glide.
    Monistat is for curing yeast infections. Are you talking about the cream that you can use on the "outside?" I use that AFTER a ride, when i am freshly showered, only if I am having a particular problem. You shouldn't be using the Monistat that is used internally every time you ride!
    In the spring, I have sometimes have this issue. I get a UTI from riding a lot, ramping up my miles. Then, the cure for that gives me a yeast infection. Last year I had a BVI (the worst), too.
    So, this year, I upped my yogurt intake in March. I had to use the external Monistat cream for a week or so; I thought i had an infection, but I went to the doc and it was just "itching." I am hyper vigilant about getting right out of my shorts; I ride with a group once a week and I always bring shorts to change into if there is a lunch at the end. No one else does, which surprises me. I wash my shorts in hot water and hang to dry. Things have been much better.
    And I second the suggestion that it might be hormonally based.

I read somewhere you can prevent yeast infections on rides by using Monistat externally as a sort of lubricant. I've also read that some people use it internally, one dose, after a long ride. Are any of these a good idea?

Hi Butterflysaddle and welcome to the forum. I noticed that this is the only place you have posted. Why don't you go over to the Getting to Know You Thread and introduce yourself to us! It's a great forum with lots of good advice in many areas.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Hi Butterflysaddle and welcome to the forum. I noticed that this is the only place you have posted. Why don't you go over to the Getting to Know You Thread and introduce yourself to us! It's a great forum with lots of good advice in many areas.
    Sorry! Where's the getting to know you thread? I'm not seeing it. Only "new riders"???

butterflysaddle, welcome to TE.

I personally wouldn't use Monistat as a preventative or a ride lubricant. Using it frequently will lead to the yeast strains you carry becoming resistant to it and becoming meaner and nastier. So that when you actually have a full blown infection, the over-the-counter treatments will be ineffective.

I'd go with the chamois cream unless you're allergic to any of the ingredients. If you have sensitive skin, consider a personal lube or diaper rash cream. They will cut down on chaffing. In my experience, I have less problems with vaginal infections when there is enough lubrication down there whether it's my own natural stuff or outside help. The other thing is to not use any harsh soaps that strip all the natural lubricating oils on your skin. Maybe try a mild lotion cleanser when you bathe and right after your rides. If a showering facility won't be available at the end of your ride, you could try carrying baby wipes and clean change of clothes to get out of your shorts.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Quote Originally Posted by butterflysaddle View Post
    Sorry! Where's the getting to know you thread? I'm not seeing it. Only "new riders"???
    No need to apologize! It's the sticky at the top of the Open topic (Cycling-Related) thread.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I'm 53. When I got back into riding, and had been riding about 2 weeks, I got a raging UTI and soreness. I realized that my saddle when tipped up a bit. I also sweat alot. I believe someone here told me to go to the bathroom as soon as I'm done riding, plus I get out of my 'sweaty' clothes. Haven't had any issues.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by butterflysaddle View Post
    I read somewhere you can prevent yeast infections on rides by using Monistat externally as a sort of lubricant.
    Be aware that Monistat makes different products. One is to treat a yeast infection. Another is sold in the same area of the store (or at least that's how I've seen it), but it's sold for external use to reduce chafing.

This is the stuff for chafing:
    http://www.drugstore.com/qxp139254_3...powder_gel.htm

Incidentally, I first heard about the anti-chafing stuff on a mineral makeup board...a lot of people over there use it as a makeup primer. I've only used it for that a couple of times, but I can see that it would be good for chafing...it glides on very smooth and not greasy at all (hard to explain). I'm not sure if it's meant to use close to girl bits, though, you'd have to read the label to be sure.

Ive used plain apple cider vinegar, mixed with warm water as a douche( Only on the very rare occasions I have had yeasties bothering me, a douching isnt too good for you.)
    It can sting, so make sure you dilute it. It clears any yeast infection up overnight. Monastat doesnt work for me.
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

I used to get a lot of UTIs.

Switching to a saddle that fit (so I wasn't "sitting" on soft tissues or jamming and abrading them) and getting rid of chamois (again, not jamming anything into the soft tissues and, most importantly, not sitting on sopping wet fabric) solved it.

I have very wide sit-bones and sweat like crazy. My body cried out for proper support and quick-drying breathable thin fabric, so this was the solution for me. These days I can do a 50 or 60 mile ride with no chamois on an unpadded saddle and be happier than I used to be after doing a 20 mile ride with padded shorts on a padded saddle. (Brooks B67 saddle $105 and UnderArmour compression shorts $25)

If you can figure out the cause, you will find a solution. Everyone is unique. Don't be afraid to try something that seems counter-intuitive. Hang in there!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I just had my first short ride after 6 weeks of these issues and survived! Have to say, I just got a pair of Pearl Izumi 3-D pro shorts, and they are so comfortable. I could feel the air flow with the fabric weave. It felt much more breathable than my other shorts.

I didn't realize there were different types of Monistat. That may have been where I misunderstood. Thanks for all of your help on here, ladies!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Make sure you get out of your shorts right away after your ride. Yes, that may mean changing in your car if you are on a club ride, but it's worth it. Just park a bit farther away and bring a towel. Hope you get lasting relief soon.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    These days I can do a 50 or 60 mile ride with no chamois on an unpadded saddle and be happier than I used to be after doing a 20 mile ride with padded shorts on a padded saddle.
    Well, actually I don't wear chamois shorts/tights at all. But obviously I'm the minority here. I'm not normal, I know ever since I returned to cycling, years ago. I probably seem like a freak to many here. But I am a woman!

And yea, this means for rides that are cycling for 100 kms. in a day.
    I get yeast infections, hmmm...once a year or less. I average several thousand kms. annually.

It works for me, and for for others, it might work for alot shorter rides.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 07-11-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

2 things to consider are saddle height and width.

I was having a terrible time on my terry butterfly, because it wasn't wide enough for my sit bones, so even with the cut-out, my soft tissues were supporting my body not my sit bones. Then, I had it a tad too high, so those tissues were getting sawed at with each pedal stroke. Not pretty.

For me, the solution was a Brookes Finesse Saddle, adsjuted so the nose is level, but that means the rear is quite a bit higher.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Other stuff that has been mentioned like diet and hygeine is important too. For me, I got way less UTIs once I got my blood sugar under control. If you have sugar in your urine, that will encourage bacterial growth. I do swear by chamois butter, and even though I am pre-menopausal (or peri) estrogen levels do decline with age so I find it helps to use a vaginal estrogen cream once a week. Ask your doc to check your estrogen levels, and see if your soft tissues show signs of weakening estrogen.
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 07-11-2009 at 04:31 PM.