Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Overheated while running

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I run, for as far back as I can remember, I get VERY overheated. My face turns bright red, and I get so uncomfortably hot I can't stand it (even in 50* weather with a stiff breeze!). I can't run on a treadmill because I get so hot, even with a fan blowing in my face.

Now, I've never been much of a runner, but I'm trying to build up my endurance currently. I drink lots of water while I'm running. Will this ever go away when I get better? Am I alone in this?

I can't imagine running during the day in the summer. I think I'd die. But that's when all the races are. I don't know what to do.

I am also a furnace. I sweat very easily and turn red. I joked on post here that I wish I could run topless! LOL. But I read that sweating profusely is not a bad thing - it just means your body is working hard to cool you down. It sounds like you are staying hydrated which is key. Light colored lightweight jerseys help. And practicing running (maybe shorter distances) on a hot day also helps.
    I can do five more miles.

Sweating profusely isn't bad, but remember that any sweat that rolls off is wasted. It only cools you if it's evaporating on your skin.

Make sure that you're replacing electrolytes along with water. That's super important for someone who sweats heavily, like me.

When you say you drink lots of water while running, what are you using to carry your water? Consider maybe wetting your hydration pack or belt down before your run - that'll make it heavier obviously, but also add some evaporative cooling.

I don't think turning red indicates anything significant? More to do with the capillary structure in your face? Not really sure though. Obviously overheating is nothing to mess with, I just don't know if turning red has much to do with it. What symptoms of overheating are you experiencing?

I just got a pair of Arm Coolers and they really work. They make a base layer, bolero and leg coolers as well - something to try maybe!
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-10-2009 at 05:34 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I actually don't sweat overly much. I just get overheated, very warm that I almost can't stand it. I almost feel like I can run naked, drenched in ice water, then I'd finally be comfortable! My face gets hot to the touch and bright red, my legs and core get unbearably hot too.

I bring along a waterbottle and just take swigs from that every quarter mile or so. I'll probably get a camelbak sometime this year, but I just don't have the miles right now to warrant it (both in running and biking).

The arm coolers are a good idea. I may get those for the races I'm going to do this year.

No solutions for you, but I get like this, too. It has gotten a little better over time, but it does seem like once I reach that point, *bam* I'm done. I get rapid breathing and heartbeat, and feel like I can't quite catch my breathe. I will almost invariably get a migraine later in the day when this happens (although last time I drank huge amounts of water and electrolyte replacement powder and I didn't; not sure which of these things made the difference or if it was just a fluke).

I don't think I sweat as much as other people do. One of my coworkers says his wife suffers from similar problems (headaches and all) and he said he thinks she doesn't sweat enough, and therefore doesn't cool off enough. I do know that I typically run a bit hot...I'm the first person in a room to be warm (and I live in Phoenix...great, huh?). In the past I had all my blood levels checked and everything was fine, but I think I might go have it done again, just to be sure something's not off with me.

One thing I've been doing lately is to wet a bandana and tie it around my head. It dries in about half an hour where I live; I haven't stopped to rewet it on my hour rides yet, but as I do longer rides, I will. It really seems to help a lot (as does leaving the house with wet hair). By accident I ended up wetting the back of my shirt and shorts (my camelpack had a leak in it LOL) and that helped a lot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTexasMom View Post
    No solutions for you, but I get like this, too. It has gotten a little better over time, but it does seem like once I reach that point, *bam* I'm done. I get rapid breathing and heartbeat, and feel like I can't quite catch my breathe. I will almost invariably get a migraine later in the day when this happens (although last time I drank huge amounts of water and electrolyte replacement powder and I didn't; not sure which of these things made the difference or if it was just a fluke).
    Yes, this is me too. I usually get a headache after I run. My heart seems fit to burst right out of my chest, too. No wonder I never got into running, lol!

Maybe more water/electrolytes? Sometimes I feel all sloshy when I drink a lot of water, which leads to feeling barfy.. sorry, TMI..

Do you get a headache right after, or much later? I bike, I don't run, so the slosh factor is less evident when I drink while I ride. But I use a camelpack and just sip along the way. I'll drink somewhere between 1 and 2 liters in an hour (on the high end lately because it's so stinkin' hot here). In the past I would come home and *maybe* finish up what was left in my pack and call it done. More recently, I've started drinking more throughout the day after I get home...maybe a glass an hour or so? This way I'm not building up so much at one time. I've never got the sloshy feeling (I mean, I've had it, so I know what you're talking about, but what I'm doing isn't enough to make me feel sloshy).

The water I take with me has the electrolyte powder in it. Lately I've also been adding a pinch of salt (because I am actually sweating and I can feel the salt on my skin; my powder has potassium and maybe magnesium, I'd have to check, but no salt). The water I drink when I get home is plain water.

Meant to add...for what it's worth, I never got into running, either. Seemed if I got a pace fast enough to not kill my knees, I'd quickly get to my overheated state (even if indoors). With my bike I can manage a pace that keeps me below this line (it helps that I live in a flat area). The fact that it's super-hot here now makes it trickier. I went out at 2:00 in the afternoon a couple of weeks ago, which was a big mistake. If I stick to the mornings, I'm pretty much ok.

There was just something linked here (twice actually) that said your stomach empties faster if you gulp rather than sip. So if you're feeling sloshy, try drinking just every 15-20 minutes.

Also, cold beverages are supposed to empty from the stomach faster than warm ones, if it's possible for you to carry an insulated bottle/pack or add some ice to it before your run.

Simultaneous post: if a slow pace hurts your knees, that's a great opportunity to work on form. I was a very heavy runner until I started learning Chi Running. Building miles for me has been all about working on form and learning to run more slowly. A slow pace should be comfortable and just as light as your faster paces!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I too get hot fast while running. Here's the advice I got from my coach: Take water. Use it to cool you off as well as to drink---i.e., pour it over your head, or put cold wet sponges under your bra straps, or wet a headband periodically, etc. And do slow base runs to build heat tolerance--keep your heart rate low and don't try to go as fast as you can.

It's a work in progress for me. Will let you know how it goes.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Also, I have seen little bands at the local art festival - Art on the Green - that you chill, then stick on the back of your neck. I should look into these.

I like the sponges under the bra strap suggestion, thank you.

Thanks for all the great tips and commiseration. I knew I couldn't be the only one out there!