Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Fall rides in AZ?

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's way too hot now, but I'd love to have a fall ride (thinking Oct/Nov timeframe) as a goal to work towards. I've tried to find something, but all I'm finding are things that ran this spring.

Anyone know of any kind of road rides (I'm thinking charity or fun, not competitive) coming up in the Phoenix or Tucson area? I wouldn't mind doing something up north (I *love* the high country) except I'm not too keen on anything very hilly yet. I'm looking for something anywhere in the 30-70 mile range. Bonus points if there is a "fun ride" that my kids (6 & 8) can do.

I'd also consider something in the SoCal (i.e., L.A.) area, as I have a good friend there who I could go stay with. I would be willing to do something in Sept there (since it's cooler).

El tour de tucson in November is huge!
    There are actually a lot around that time frame. Tho at the moment I can't name them.. oy.. been a long day!

OMG, that looks like *exactly* what I'm looking for. I could have sworn I looked it up and only saw last years results. Must have been an old link.

Now, to figure out exactly what I want to do and make a commitment to myself.

If you need help deciding, let me know. For example:

The 35 mile option = more of a fun ride for hybrids.
    The 63 mile option = fairly large start. You have one river crossing & a short but straight-up hill. Other than that - a nice ride.
    The ~80 mile option = typically only a few hundred people start. You may catch up with the 63 mile-ers around the river crossing.
    The big one - huge mass start. Two river crossings.

Of course you know that river crossing doesn't equal water. Just a big dusty wash, 99% of the time.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Oh yeah, I forgot about the wash crossings. You have to hike a bike those portions.

these are some that we look forward to

palo verde nuclear century in west phoenix 0ct 28 - 50 or 100 miles (sportsfun.com/gaba)
    tour de scottsdale Sunday, October 4 - 70 hilly miles (active.com)
    as el tour de tucson gets closer, they will have weekly training rides that are fun to go to (bikegaba.org)
    then there's the silverbell and tumacacori centuries to really get you prepared for el tour (perimeterbicycling.com)
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by PinkBike View Post
    palo verde nuclear century in west phoenix 0ct 28 - 50 or 100 miles (sportsfun.com/gaba)
    Have you seen anything specific to this year's event? I saw nothing on their "upcoming events" page, and when I click the Major Events link on the side, and then "Palo Verde", I get a link to information for 2007

oops. you're right. i THOUGHT there had been a lot fewer centuries last year than the years before. there used to be "around the tanks," palo verde, laveen, and i think a couple others, now there's hardly any. but i watch the links diligently so i'll keep you posted as i find out.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Dang. I like the looks of that one as a first timer because it's flat. Not a lot of places to hill train in my immediate vicinity and having to travel to bike means I won't be doing it as much.

I still may do one of the shorter legs of El Tour de Tucson. Although that one is a bit more problematic because I'd still have to work out travel/lodging. Palo Verde is close enough that I could drive over the day of. Oh well, I'll figure out something!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTexasMom View Post
    Dang. I like the looks of that one as a first timer because it's flat. Not a lot of places to hill train in my immediate vicinity and having to travel to bike means I won't be doing it as much.

I still may do one of the shorter legs of El Tour de Tucson. Although that one is a bit more problematic because I'd still have to work out travel/lodging. Palo Verde is close enough that I could drive over the day of. Oh well, I'll figure out something!
    If you need help/advice, just let me know. There are some nice places to stay,like the Marriott by the University.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Fall rides around Tucson

Once the mercury drops to a decent temperature we will all be out riding in full force. I am still riding, just really early and shorter distances.
    Check out Greater Arizona Bicycle Association - GABA - they have separate sites for Phoenix and Tucson. GABA offers training rides for El Tour de Tucson as well as their own rides. ( I love their rides, great people, relaxed starts, CHEAPER event costs and the SAG food is the best!) Look for Tumacacorri, Silverbell Century to name a few. They also are offering rides in Northern AZ during the summer (it's cooler once you get above 4000 ft.
    http://www.bikegaba.org/
    http://www.pbaa.com/ > for info on El Tour de Tucson's 109, 90,66,&35 mile rides. Also Cochise County Classic, and Tour de Phoenix (in the Spring)
    Note about El Tour: the 109 mile option is always 3000+ starters and you better plan on getting to the start by 4 am if you don't want to be at the "back of the bus with the bike fodder" ( start of race is 7 am) I did 66 miles last year, it's fun and very do-able. If you want to save some money google Ben's Bells and register through them ( you will be raising money but you only have to come up with $95.00 out of pocket now till Oct. 31 ( through PBAA it's $100.00 out of pocket before July 31) and Ben's Bells is one of the EL Tour Charities. If you want more info, just let me know I'll be happy to help any way I can. I can even connect you with some women who are signed up to ride it. I'm still on the fence but these gals are my riding buddies so I will probably ride the 66 again.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by supercutie View Post
    If you want to save some money google Ben's Bells and register through them ( you will be raising money but you only have to come up with $95.00 out of pocket now till Oct. 31 ( through PBAA it's $100.00 out of pocket before July 31) and Ben's Bells is one of the EL Tour Charities. If you want more info, just let me know I'll be happy to help any way I can. I can even connect you with some women who are signed up to ride it. I'm still on the fence but these gals are my riding buddies so I will probably ride the 66 again.
    Lynda
    Great information Lynda! I'm hoping to do El Tour this year!!! I won't be up to the longer rides but really want to do something maybe the 25 miler. I will keep the information about Ben's Bells and when I know for sure my move date I'll register with him, cool beans!
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895