Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Please don't apologize for asking those questions. Not silly at all.

Another possible culprit: the valve itself. I have a tube currently on the back wheel of my road bike that is really hard to inflate. For some reason, it works with one of our two floor pumps and not the other.

I suggest taking your bike and your pump to the shop.

Good luck. And please stop putting yourself down.

I went through something like this a few years ago. It turned out I was not pushing the stem far enough into the pump and it would get on just enough to let all the air out. Shove it on there firmly and then try it.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I am also small and have to use all of my body weight to pump my tires.
    Are you using threaded or non-threaded tubes? I have found the threaded ones difficult to work with for a variety of reasons, one being latching the valve of the pump on or taking it off.
    We've had several pumps and generally I've found this is a "you get what you pay for" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Edit: Ooops, while I was typing my epic response, Cunninghamair said the same thing, but better!
    Woo, hoo! I got one right. NO, I was typing my epic response
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I start struggling when I get to about 90psi on mine - have to lean really hard on my track pump to get the last 10 or so in, if I didn't use a track pump, I'd never manage it. But, I have found letting some air out before starting to pump really helps, it seems to open up the valve and it goes in much easier after that.
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by tantrumbean View Post
    But, I have found letting some air out before starting to pump really helps, it seems to open up the valve and it goes in much easier after that.
    +1

Just press the valve lightly to break the seal, you don't have to let a lot of air out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The pump you are using can make a huge, huge difference - and its not necessarily that the more expensive the pump the better.... we had a fancy, schmancy Italian Silca that I hated with a passion. It was fickle and took 3 hands and more than my entire body weight to operate. We have a Joe Blow now and other than the little rubber gasket on the head really needing replacing it is great - I can even get my TT bike tires up to 140 psi without having just pumping up the tires being an adequate warm up....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I also have a Joe Blow standup pump and once you get things going right, I can pump and pump! and i'm puny too.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I have a suggestion that might work.

A portable electric compressor (like this.

And then a presta to schrader valve adapter for about $2.00.

Now, I have not tried this yet, even though I always carry one of these adapters in case I want to use my compressor instead of my bicycle pump. You would also need some kind of gauge.
    Burning fat, building fitness . . . one mile at a time . . . one hill at a time.

I have issues pumping my tires too. Here's what you have to do... you have to unscrew the presta-valve all the way... and then tap on the top. For some reason, they can get... stuck... and then when you try to put air in, the air won't go in. Sometimes it takes a few tries of me putting the pump on... taking it off... tapping the presta-valve... trying again.

I have drained my tires of all their air sometimes because that stupid valve gets stuck.

Sometimes I worry I won't get any air in the tire because it gets stuck.

Because of the above reasons I HATE PUTTING AIR in my TIRES!

Try tapping the presta-valve and pumping it then. If you are pumping and it feels like the air is not going in, then the valve is stuck.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

This Is Such A Great Thread!!!

Thank You!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

A lot of times, you need to really push hard on the very first pump to get it to open the valve, so don't give up. Get that first push in, and the rest get easier.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Very sorry that it is so frustrating! It is definitely frustrating to always take care of oneself and not have much help.
    I train with professional athletes and if I don't have one of the "boys" help, I can't get the pump down either (they work up a sweat too)...I usually give up, as I do have people to help with the bike stuff but the day I don't, I am up sh-- creek.
    The best thing is that it shows your perserverance!
    All the above advice is really really great, thanks all.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has to use her body weight to pump up tires. My hubby and my other male riding buddies think it's hilarious to see me jumping down on the pump to get my tires to the right psi.

One thing I've found (with a Specialized floor pump and presta valves) is that if the pump handle seems "springy" and very difficult to push down, then I don't have it seated properly. Release and reapply until it doesn't feel springy.

Wow, what a terrific thread! I think most of feel like an idiot jumping our whole body down on a stupid pump to get it to work! LOL -- it lifts me off the ground sometimes! I've also let all the air out of my stupid tires a few times.

So, none of us are stupid or weak, it must have been a man that invented the bicycle pump Maybe the same man that invented mammograms!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."