Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Taxi cabs in NYC

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday I was riding my bike in mid town and a person in a taxi randomly opened their door(The cab had just barely stopped) and I almost ran headlong into it. I would have been pretty messed up with the glass and the door. Since moving to NYC my cycling has become more dangerous

Yes, it is essential to keep 3 feet distance from stopped vehicles (esp cabs w passengers) to avoid being doored. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    People are always throwing their cars doors open without looking behind them. Especially taxi passengers! You can depend on people to fling their car door open at the least expected moment....so best to try to avoid riding in the 'Door Zone' at all costs. Cyclists get killed this way regularly- they hit the open door, fly over it, and land in the path of a moving car.
    Keep safe!
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 07-07-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am sure you will be supervigilant from now on (like I am) It's not just taxis!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

And not just NYC
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Since it's usually impossible to avoid the door zone in NYC, I recommend slowing down a bit and being very vigilant.

I recently saw a "watch for bikes" sticker in a cab. That's good, but I doubt it will make much difference.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingqueen2k9 View Post
    Yesterday I was riding my bike in mid town and a person in a taxi randomly opened their door(The cab had just barely stopped) and I almost ran headlong into it. I would have been pretty messed up with the glass and the door. Since moving to NYC my cycling has become more dangerous
    Yeah, but there are so many "safe" places, like Central Park, Hudson River bike way, Prospect Park...
    Ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike
    Fausto Coppi
    When a reporter asked him what it takes to become such a great champion.
    Bike rentals in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Yeah, but there are so many "safe" places, like Central Park, Hudson River bike way, Prospect Park...
    Heh. I'm glad you put safe in quotation marks. I've seen two bikers loaded into ambulances on the Hudson River path. Though all the places you named are indeed safer than the street.

One of the best demonstrations I've seen is the way that LCIs are taught now to demonstrate the door zone hazard and how to deal with it... This is the way I teach it in traffic skills classes, at any rate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TQ7aID1jHs

And then you have two-door sedans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YixMuZpm88

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Heh. I'm glad you put safe in quotation marks. I've seen two bikers loaded into ambulances on the Hudson River path. Though all the places you named are indeed safer than the street.
    YeaH, especially summer time, when visitors/tourists start riding/renting bikes like crazy - a lot of acciDents(
    Ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike
    Fausto Coppi
    When a reporter asked him what it takes to become such a great champion.
    Bike rentals in NYC