Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting a larger butt

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I just started riding bike last year, this year I've been riding more and going longer distances. My butt is getting larger, more toned, and I'm finding some of my clothes are not fitting any more. My question is this, will my butt continue to get bigger, will it get smaller, or stay where it is? I am asking this also for myself plus another lady that i bike with, so your replies will be served well. I don't mind my butt getting more toned, but was just wondering if this is just a trasition stage or if it might be there to stay..any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have enjoyed this website, find the site informational, and look forward to any input that you ladies can offer me..thanks shellyj

Hi Shellyj. Um, sorry, but have to ask - is it just your butt that's getting bigger or is any other part of your body (or all of it) getting larger too?

I've never really noticed my butt getting noticably bigger.... but I do find track bike work does add to it a little (more muscle!) - and that's got a lot to do with the type of training for track - often hard, fast, intense.

If I'm just doing miles on the road bike, or even race training, my body just gets toned all over with no real change in size anywhere (that I know of....).

What type of riding are you doing to get a larger butt? Easy miles, hills, sprints etc?

you sure it's just not changing shape, getting rearranged, due to increased muscle tone?

compare a bubble butt to a flat saggy one. A bubble butt is bigger, but which one would your rather have?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I used to think it was my butt getting bigger. Now I think I've figured out that my thighs get bigger and this tends to make my pants fit funny because they don't pull up as high or when I sit down they pull down more than usual (which is why I thought it was a junk-in-the-trunk related issue).

If you are building muscle under your existing fat, then you very could well be experiencing a bigger butt or bigger thighs. It can happen.

The trick is to reduce your overall bodyfat while building muscle by eating right!

Hi , thanks for the replies back..I believe my butt and possibly my legs are getting bigger..I know my legs are getting more toned (I haven't really noticed an enlargement in them), and I am sure the butt thing is muscle being built underneath all my fat..((I've lost 35-40 and would like to lose 10 more))..I have noticed as Irulan stated, its not "saggy" like it used to be..I do road riding, 20-45 miles each trip, I live in the country, so some hills but no mountains to speak of..I am very pear shaped and am trying so hard to change that feature, and am hoping that the muscle will eventually overtake all the fat that has laid dormant for years and I can have a bottom half to be proud of..My fear is that the muscle will develop and the fat won't dissappear and I will be left with big thighs and butt..Again, thanks for all the input..shelly

I'm very proud of my biker thighs.

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

My partner and sons have commented to me that it is interesting to see how womens bodies respond to cycle training

They say the young girls in the club develop quite big buts, muscled, but biggish... also very powerful thighs

Whereas the older women, who started like me, midlife don't, despite some of us being as strong or stronger in a race

I have looked and its an accurate observation... interesting

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Hmmm, interesting. DH has stated, without prompting, that my backside looks much better when I'm putting in the miles. (And I have plenty of backside to look at). Talk about motivation...

I think everyone is on to something. You're getting a shape. Enjoy it.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

a pear's a pear......

Ah, it's all a bit clearer now. I agree with the others, it sounds like you're just getting more toned.

As for changing your body shape, that's unlikely to happen. But look at it this way: would you rather be a soft squishy pear or a nice firm pear?

My husband - kind and affectionate soul that he is - put it this way:

"Your hiney smiles now instead of frowns!"

Quote Originally Posted by Technotart
    My husband - kind and affectionate soul that he is - put it this way:

"Your hiney smiles now instead of frowns!"

Fabulous
    Love it!!!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Talking

I started riding last August. But several things happened that kept me from riding much during the winter. I started again in March. Riding almost daily. In August, I instantly saw a difference in my butt. I was developing one! I have never been blessed in this area. So, you can imagine my thrill to look in the mirror and actually see the curves! In March, as I rode longer and more often, my butt only improved! My pants are getting tighter, but it is because I am developing a nice firm, uplifted behind!

When I started riding, I lost about 25 libs in the first few weeks. Funny thing, as I rode, I started to gain weight! I learned to stay off the scales. Muscle weighs more that fat. I now go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. My body continues to redevelop. It is so totally awesome

Since I haven't been cycling since my accident in April (other than short rides on the trainer), my butt has definitely gotten smaller. I have lost only one lb., but I am sure I've lost muscle there and elsewhere. My pants definitely fit looser back there, and to be honest, I miss my curvier butt! I'm actually looking forward to getting it back - to me it is a sign of health and strength, since it's muscles making it bigger, not additional fat!

But everyone develops their muscles differently when cycling. I have seen many women in our bike club who ride a LOT and don't have much in the way of a butt. Some of us are just more prone to develop them, I think. I notice mine feels firmest and sorest after a long ride with lots of hills. I am sure I use the gluteals a lot when I climb.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

LOL. I love this thread! Somehow I can't picture a men's board talking about this (chuckling). I find my bum is getting more toned while losing fat so overall I'm pleased and I'm pear shaped.

Now, if I could get rid off all the bruised from my saddle hitting me I'd be proud to be naked!!
    Dar