Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

NYT Q&A on fueling & hydration

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...l-exercise/?em

Most interesting to me:

Q Should we keep sipping fluids while we’re exercising?

Answer

How we drink can make a difference in how optimally we hydrate our body. A lot of people sip liquids, but gulping is better. Gulps of fluid leave the stomach more rapidly. It’s important to do this. It seems counterintuitive, it seems like gulping would cause a cramp. People are more likely to have stomach cramps sipping because fluid stays in their gut too long.

When you take more fluid in, gulps as opposed to sips, you have a greater volume of fluid in the stomach. That stimulates the activity of the stretch receptors in the stomach, which then increase intra-gastric pressure and promote faster emptying. This is why gulping is preferred.
    It's difficult for me to take more than a few ounces at a time while running (since I can't breathe and drink at the same time). But I've already been trying to train myself to drink larger amounts less frequently, so I'll be able to rely on aid stations during longer events. It's good to know that there's science behind it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Interesting.

I seem to do best with tiny sips of water along the way. Or having a meal with a sizable of fluid before cycling in about 1-2 hrs. before.

I do have a bothersome habit where if i drink too much along the way, it's washroom time when I don't want to stop the momentum of cycling at all.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.