Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Aerobar

Aerobar

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm thinking about getting an aerobar. The one I'm looking at says this in the ad:

"The one-piece design has a higher, more comfortable position for comfy centuries, charity rides or triathlons. These light aluminum aerobars offers a wide array of comfortable hand positions. And, you can adjust the angle, rotation and width of the arm pads for a custom fit."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	profile century aerobar.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	9557

If anyone uses an aerobar for long rides I'd like to hear about how you like it. Do you have more "comfy centuries"?

I use one very similar to that on my road bike. The armrests on mine flip up, out of the way, when I'm not on them. Aerobars definitely give you more postions to be in, although they take some getting used to. I'm not sure I'd call them "comfy". Steering can be very squirrely. You have to think ahead if you're going to brake or change gears because you have to get out of them and back onto your regular bar.

The advantage really comes when you're going into a headwind or along a straightaway. I find that I go 2-3 mph faster without a lot of effort.

Quote Originally Posted by roadie gal View Post
    Steering can be very squirrely. You have to think ahead if you're going to brake or change gears because you have to get out of them and back onto your regular bar.
    I've seen them with brifters built in. Could you do that with any aero bar or do you have to get a specific make/model?

Stuff happens, sometimes you can't think ahead to when you'll need to brake especially on a century or charity ride with mixed rider levels. If I wanted to go aero that is the kind I would get.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I've seen them with brifters built in. Could you do that with any aero bar or do you have to get a specific make/model?

Stuff happens, sometimes you can't think ahead to when you'll need to brake especially on a century or charity ride with mixed rider levels. If I wanted to go aero that is the kind I would get.
    Usually you'll see shifters on the aerobars on dedicated tri bikes. I've never seen brakes on the aerobars, only on the base bars. You don't want to brake in the aero position. Your weight is too far forward. You'd pitch over the bars as the front wheel caught.

Unless you're riding in a team time trial, you don't use the bars in a crowd. Most group rides don't allow you to use them.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Gotta chime in about these--I'm all for aerobars if you are RIDING ALONE. But if you are in a group, they can prevent you from reacting in time and thereby result in crashes that otherwise would not have happened. Also, the ones that are not a loop design can seriously injure you or other riders if you go down. They easily stab and jab, particularly when someone falls on them.

I won't be in any races or large groups. I usually ride alone on a quiet lake road. I'm interested in aerobars to give my hands a break on long rides, during long, straight, flat stretches. It seems to me it would work well for those circumstances.

I have a one piece aerobar on my multi sport bike. I posted this pic before, but will do so again to show you here:
    Attachment 9570
    I have since made some adjustments, such as swapping out that stem for an adjustable one to raise the height to meet my comfort level. I've been reading up about adding a brake such as this:
    http://www.hedcycling.com/aerobars/t...rake_lever.asp
    There are pros and cons, but I am considering it.
    It is now possible for me to go on longer rides with pleasure. I look forward to it. Much, much less painful now. Not close to doing 100 mile stretches though! I don't do races or ride in large groups either. I ride just for the pure joy of it. I'm glad I have the aerobar now. I had to practice for a while to get used to the handling of the bike when in the aero position. I still get a panicky feeling when a big truck roars by and I feel caught up in the back draft. But, I don't like when that happens anyways. Most of my rides sound like yours Lakerider and the aerobar is working out very well indeed!

Thanks wnyrider! I'm going to check with some bike shops and probably get one soon.

I don't like the one piece aerobars. With the two-piece, separate bars you can adjust them for width, length, and angle. That makes it easier to get the fit dialed in.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I'm skimming here, so sorry if this was posted...

I don't like the ones if the arm rests do not flip up outta the way when not in use. I say this cuz if you need a smaller sized width handlebar, and the aerobar takes up most of that room, you feel cramped trying to ride on the hoods etc. Or you just want to use the tops to climb... the aerobar armrest will be in the way if they don't flip up.

Profile Design makes a couple varieties with something called a "Z bracket". That is the piece that flips up the armrests.

Also... if you can not, meaning your event / club / etc. prohibits, ride with your aerobars... don't train with them. Or get used to using them exclusively.

I know you said you ride alone. But, just make sure your body remembers what it feels like to ride without the aerobar too. Muscle memory can be a powerful thing. Otherwise if you get some ride buddies, etc.... you might have a challenge going backwards.

FWIW.

EDIT: This is what I chose, though not mounted on my new bike to date. Some of which for the reasons I note above. Nice feature to cheat the wind a bit. They are called the "Split Second".
    http://www.profile-design.com/profil...it-second.html
    Last edited by Miranda; 07-10-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerider View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an aerobar. The one I'm looking at says this in the ad:

"The one-piece design has a higher, more comfortable position for comfy centuries, charity rides or triathlons. These light aluminum aerobars offers a wide array of comfortable hand positions. And, you can adjust the angle, rotation and width of the arm pads for a custom fit."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	profile century aerobar.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	9557

If anyone uses an aerobar for long rides I'd like to hear about how you like it. Do you have more "comfy centuries"?
    I have this aerobar on my bike now and I love it!

As this has come back up... I would really discourage anyone not racing from getting an integrated aerobar like Wynrider has. They really are not the best idea for sustained riding, especially if you are not on a closed race course.

The thing is with a race style aerobar not only are the brakes out on the bullhorns (so no quick access to them), the bullhorns themselves are quite uncomfortable and pretty unstable to ride on, so if you find yourself in a situation where it really would be best to not be in the aerobars - traffic, steep twisty down hill, areas that require a lot of stop and go you don't have the regular bars/drops to fall back on.

If you don't intend to use the bike primarily for racing, I would really recommend clip on style bars to put on your regular handlebars. Then you always have the normal ones when you need them and you can remove them if necessary.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I have "shorty" clip-on aerobars on my road bike, and I love them. Infact, I don't think I could do a long ride without them. They offer me another position to give my hands/wrists a well-needed break. Not to mention the wind-cheating advantages when riding into a stiff headwind. I don't ride in groups. Most of the time, it's just me and either my hubby or a friend...sometimes it's the 3 of us, but never more than that. If I'm leading, I'll drop down into aero on long straight stretches of road. If I'm following, I will only use my aerobars if I have fallen behind and need to "catch up". Once I get close enough, I'm back onto the hoods. I think having aerobars has made me a better rider, because it forces me to learn better control and handling skills of my bike. Below is a pic of the aerobars I have on my bike...they are Profile Design Jammer GT's.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    I don't think I could do a long ride without them. They offer me another position to give my hands/wrists a well-needed break. Not to mention the wind-cheating advantages when riding into a stiff headwind. I don't ride in groups. I think having aerobars has made me a better rider, because it forces me to learn better control and handling skills of my bike.
    I agree with you nscrbug! During a long ride it's so nice to have another position to give my hands a break! I also don't ride in groups. Usually I'm alone on a quiet road without much traffic. If a car is coming or there's a curve in the road I go back to another hand position. It works wonders in the wind! I love it, love it, love it!