Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Latelate in Brittany

To disable ads, please log-in.

We're one week away from departing for a month's art residency in Rochefort-en-Terre, France. Thanks to all who suggested various means of riding over there. Shipping our bikes or renting road bikes were both out of our $ range, but Velo & Co was w/in our budget and will deliver touring bikes, helmets, pump, rack, etc, right to our door. We might not ride as fast or as far as we would on road bikes, but we'll ride lots!

Those with riding experience in Brittany, are there routes/destinations you recommend?

I'm so excited - I'm in sore need of soul restoration, time to crystalize this novel that is spread out all over my studio and gathering dust since my day job started to eat my brain, and oh yes, seeing France w/ Charles. This will be our first big trip since our honeymoon in Greece 19 years ago. I'm nervous at leaving my little farm & animals for a month, but my mom is housesitting (THANKS, MOM!) and neighbors will help her if she needs. (BTW, You TE'ers were so supportive when our cat Dayhunter was diagnosed w/ fibrosarcoma earlier this year. He is now a very healthy, handsome, active, demanding 3 leggidy guy - and my challenge w/ this trip is not to worry.)

Thanks for all your help - always! Lynda Gene

This is so exciting! I'm sure you'll have a grand time.

I have never cycled in Brittany, but you can check Bikely:
    http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/82/region/1797
    (also check Poitou-Charentes maybe? here: http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/82/region/1811)

Riding on the road in France is so easy because there are round-abouts everywhere in which there are signs indicating what city each road leads to. No need to scramble to remember the names of the streets/roads you need to turn on. Just examine the map and know what general direction you are going toward (small cities and larger cities that are more distant). My husband and I just returned from two weeks in Provence and the Alps and had NO argument about directions, which is a great improvement over riding in North America.

Get the proper Michelin map for the area you're going to. The scale should be around 1 cm = 2 km. Ride your bike on white and yellow roads and you'll be set. You'll most likely find the map at nearly every "Tabac" (sort of convenience store) in the town you stay in.

Also check out Michelin's trip planning web site:
    http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm

And HAVE FUN!!!!!

ETA: A photo example!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0281.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	9555  
    Last edited by Grog; 07-04-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Tulip can definately help.

I've been to Brittany a couple of times (but I never cycled there) and I've noticed that there were quite a few very well indicated routes for cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by latelatebloomer View Post
    We're one week away from departing for a month's art residency in Rochefort-en-Terre, France. Thanks to all who suggested various means of riding over there. Shipping our bikes or renting road bikes were both out of our $ range, but Velo & Co was w/in our budget and will deliver touring bikes, helmets, pump, rack, etc, right to our door. We might not ride as fast or as far as we would on road bikes, but we'll ride lots!

Those with riding experience in Brittany, are there routes/destinations you recommend?

I'm so excited - I'm in sore need of soul restoration, time to crystalize this novel that is spread out all over my studio and gathering dust since my day job started to eat my brain, and oh yes, seeing France w/ Charles. This will be our first big trip since our honeymoon in Greece 19 years ago. I'm nervous at leaving my little farm & animals for a month, but my mom is housesitting (THANKS, MOM!) and neighbors will help her if she needs. (BTW, You TE'ers were so supportive when our cat Dayhunter was diagnosed w/ fibrosarcoma earlier this year. He is now a very healthy, handsome, active, demanding 3 leggidy guy - and my challenge w/ this trip is not to worry.)

Thanks for all your help - always! Lynda Gene
    That is great news!
    Have a fantastic time. I look forward to seeing some pics of your trip.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I can't wait to hear all about it!!! Have a wonderful time!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Maybe this can help

http://tinyurl.com/lnhuq9

It's the official site of Brittany. There's a link about discovering Brittany by bike.

Wow! I'm so jealous of your trip... I've never been to Brittany, but it sounds like it's going to be wonderful. Have a great time and don't forget to tell us all about it when you get home!
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm very familiar with Brittany, and with cycling in Brittany. Get a Michelin map for the Morbihan département. Morbihan means "little sea" in Breton, by the way. Amaze your new friends with that little tidbit.

Anyways, get the map, and just go explore on the roads that are either white or yellow on the map. Most roads are white or yellow. The red ones are busier, and the double red and blue ones are like interstates.

Do you speak any French? If not, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take the time to learn the very basic of basics. Do not assume that people will speak English. You have time to learn the basic 10 words and phrases. If I did it in Greek, you can do it in French. No excuses here.

Other than that, have a great time and eat lots of galettes (savory crêpes made with buckwheat flour) and crêpes (dessert crêpes made from white flour) and drink lots of cidre. When you order cidre, order a pichet or a demi-pichet instead of individual glasses. It's strong, so be ready.

Bon voyage!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

Do you speak any French? If not, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take the time to learn the very basic of basics. Do not assume that people will speak English. You have time to learn the basic 10 words and phrases. If I did it in Greek, you can do it in French. No excuses here.

Bon voyage!
    That's the spirit!

Thanks for all the great links and suggestions! I am getting SO excited. No, Tulip, I don't speak French but have a couple CD's to learn the basic courtesies. Unfortunately, the Spanish-speaking part of my brain keeps trying to be helpful. Ay-yi-yi! Charles had French in school so he's a bit better. Since we are staying in a small hotel for one month, I'm hoping I might meet someone who would like to practice English and teach a little French. A small and patient child would be perfect!

We always tried to speak a little Greek (oof! a different alphabet, too!) when we were in Greece - when traveling we're careful to be modest and observant and extremely courteous, and were abashed when Greeks would proclaim, "but you CAN"T be American!" And really, some of the things we saw Americans do were just hair-curling.

Fortunately, there is an American program director to help us out w/ any real problems!