Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Makanda, Il Loop?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I read online from a Carbondale cyclist that made reference to a Makanda loop. I didn't know if it was just a casual comment or if there really is such a route?! I live in Indiana, but visit southern Illinois regularly and would like to check out that area. Is anyone familiar with this loop? Thank you!

Well this post if 3 months old and I just saw it. I ride the Makanda loop quite often. It's beautiful----especially this time of year---and very hilly. It's one of my favorite rides and winds through the southern Illinois wine trail and Giant City State Park. Let me know if you want more specifics.

How far is this from Chicago?

350 miles to the south---a 5 1/2 hour drive---at the very southern tip of the state. Come on down, we have some beautiful scenery here!

I would love to! I need to get out of this deluge sometimes...

Makanda loop

To Bike Chick--thank you for the reply! I hadn't gotten any responses then I forgot about my request! Yes, I would like more info, although the hilliness intimidates me! Can I get a printed map somewhere? Where does the loop begin? Thank you!

It depends on where you live in Indiana but I've ridden over there and our hills aren't any worse. Have you ridden the Hilly Hundred? This area (Makanda loop) isn't any worse and offers some of the most challenging local hills we have. The most challenging of course is what we call "The Wall" at Makanda. It is a 20-22 percent climb but it is always an option if you want the challenge---there is another route. I've done it once just to say I have but have taken the other route since. I leave that for the guys

If you are coming from out-of-town, I would recommend starting at Giant City Lodge south of Carbondale, Illinois and going from there. The Carbondale Bicycle Club http://pctt.tripod.com/cbc.htm has a link on the bottom of the webpage showing a 50 mile radius bike map of the area. There are many rides you can take from there depending on how long you want to ride. Just let me know and I can help you map one out. I will even bring some friends, meet you there and go along. I would love to meet another TEr and everyone loves to ride this area.....just give me a few months to get back in bike shape.

After we are done we could share a delicious meal at the Giant City Lodge.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Thanks for the info Bike Chick. Sorry for the delayed reply--again! I live in northern Indiana, so it's pretty flat! I haven't ridden the Hilly Hundred and probably never will! We have hiked several times at Giant City Park and really enjoyed it. We've stopped in at the Lodge to check out the menu also!
    I went to the webiste you recommended and printed out the map, but I can't really tell where the route is. We'll be in the area over Memorial weekend and plan on bringing our bikes, but I'm not sure what our plans are yet. My in-laws live in Olmsted, so we'll ride around there and possibly more.
    We've had a pretty decent spring and have been riding quite a bit, so hopefully we'll be ready to tackle some hills! Thanks again for your help!

Enjoy your trip, Chel. Olmsted, huh? That's really down south, isn't it?

If you make it to Giant City for a meal, eat a piece of that delicious fried chicken for me! Mmmmm.

Travel safe and if you make it to the Makanda loop, make sure you post a ride report and let me know how it goes.

Jamis Coda Femme

Did you make the trip and get any riding in?

Jamis Coda Femme