Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Scott makes a nice bike. Is it carbon? Another thing I forgot to add is that you want to check the warranty. Some companies only warranty carbon for three years.
    Giant is lifetime on the frame, and I have replaced a couple of older frames for folks.
    I'm not positive but I believe trek is the same way.
    Scott is a smaller company so may not be able to do that. I'm not sure though?? So I would check.
    They are a VERY nice bike tho! One of my friends rides a plasma and I love when he brings it in for service.
    Which shop has the Scott?

Running Mommy, can I ask you a question, as a Giant dealer? If you don't want to answer, that's fine.

Will the Avail 1 serve me well if I want to get into racing down the road? Will it serve me well on long rides (like a century)? Is it just me, or are the handlebars narrower than the norm? It seems more upright than usual too.

I like the Scott because it seems more 'race ready' if I ever want to go that way in the future, but when I get on the Giant it's like home. I'm concerned that the handlebars are too narrow though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivonick View Post
    Will the Avail 1 serve me well if I want to get into racing down the road? Will it serve me well on long rides (like a century)? Is it just me, or are the handlebars narrower than the norm? It seems more upright than usual too.

I like the Scott because it seems more 'race ready' if I ever want to go that way in the future, but when I get on the Giant it's like home. I'm concerned that the handlebars are too narrow though.
    Not Running Mommy, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The Scott definitely has racier/more aggressive geometry than the Giant Avail. Can you race the Giant Avail? sure. Is it a race bike? IMO, no (and I own an OCR3, the 08 Avail).

You can ride a century on either bike. Some would argue that the Giant's geometry may make it more comfortable from the long ride prospective (it would be more upright, more stable, less aggressive), but it's all about getting a good solid fit for long rides (I ride centuries on my aggressive race climbing bike and do metrics every weekend on it, no problems).

If you want a racier feel Giant's analog to the Contessa Speedster is the TCR Alliance w. So you can get a very similar bike to the Contessa in a Giant package; it's just not the Avail. All three are nice bikes.

My thoughts on buying a bike for the future vs. buying what you need/want/feel best on now.

You may think this is the last bike you'll buy. Truth is if you really get into riding it more than likely won't be.

When I started road biking (coming from mountain only) I bought a Giant OCR3 (basically an Avail) thinking it would be the first/last/and only roadie I'd ever want. It was great for what I wanted at the time (commuter, some fun path rides, general fitness), comfortable, and confidence inspiring (I can handle a bike, but those skinny tires made me nervous until I got some miles on them!).

Lo and behold I liked road biking and wanted something more aggressive. I now have a fancy, quick, aggressive, no questions asked race bike. Honestly, had I bought it first thinking I'd grow into it or might like to race one day I think it would have scared the crap out of me. I still commute on the Giant.

My thought is, buy the bike you are most comfortable on now. Don't settle for something because you think you may like it better later on. Ride it, race it, whatever (none of the bikes you mentioned are unworthy of some beginner races). If you get to the point in your riding where you are really yearning for a more aggressive frame chances are you are going to be yearning for upgrades all around (drivetrain to a standard double or compact and probably up a component level, wheels, frame material/weight, geometry, etc) at which point it's easiest to just get a new bike. Plus you may find you end up wanting a completely different bike than you think you are going to want now (If you asked me 2 years ago when I started what style road bike I'd most likely spend big $$$ on I'd have told you touring over race in a heartbeat, still don't have a touring bike and honestly don't want one).

The Giant Avail is likely to be a little more versatile and a little more forgiving than the Scott, so I'd say start on that since you like it and the shop.

If you really want a race bike the Contessa is the better option all things (FIT!!) being equal (but the Giant TCR Alliance could be in the running then as well).

Handlebars, saddles, stems. are fixable. Talk to the shop and see if they are willing to work with you on a wider set of bars if you don't like the stock ones (many women like/need narrower bars than their male counterparts, so I wouldn't be surprised to find narrower than average bars on a "women's" bike).

Quote Originally Posted by MartianDestiny View Post
    Not Running Mommy, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The Scott definitely has racier/more aggressive geometry than the Giant Avail. Can you race the Giant Avail? sure. Is it a race bike? IMO, no (and I own an OCR3, the 08 Avail).

You can ride a century on either bike. Some would argue that the Giant's geometry may make it more comfortable from the long ride prospective (it would be more upright, more stable, less aggressive), but it's all about getting a good solid fit for long rides (I ride centuries on my aggressive race climbing bike and do metrics every weekend on it, no problems).

If you want a racier feel Giant's analog to the Contessa Speedster is the TCR Alliance w. So you can get a very similar bike to the Contessa in a Giant package; it's just not the Avail. All three are nice bikes.

My thoughts on buying a bike for the future vs. buying what you need/want/feel best on now.

You may think this is the last bike you'll buy. Truth is if you really get into riding it more than likely won't be.

When I started road biking (coming from mountain only) I bought a Giant OCR3 (basically an Avail) thinking it would be the first/last/and only roadie I'd ever want. It was great for what I wanted at the time (commuter, some fun path rides, general fitness), comfortable, and confidence inspiring (I can handle a bike, but those skinny tires made me nervous until I got some miles on them!).

Lo and behold I liked road biking and wanted something more aggressive. I now have a fancy, quick, aggressive, no questions asked race bike. Honestly, had I bought it first thinking I'd grow into it or might like to race one day I think it would have scared the crap out of me. I still commute on the Giant.

My thought is, buy the bike you are most comfortable on now. Don't settle for something because you think you may like it better later on. Ride it, race it, whatever (none of the bikes you mentioned are unworthy of some beginner races). If you get to the point in your riding where you are really yearning for a more aggressive frame chances are you are going to be yearning for upgrades all around (drivetrain to a standard double or compact and probably up a component level, wheels, frame material/weight, geometry, etc) at which point it's easiest to just get a new bike. Plus you may find you end up wanting a completely different bike than you think you are going to want now (If you asked me 2 years ago when I started what style road bike I'd most likely spend big $$$ on I'd have told you touring over race in a heartbeat, still don't have a touring bike and honestly don't want one).

The Giant Avail is likely to be a little more versatile and a little more forgiving than the Scott, so I'd say start on that since you like it and the shop.

If you really want a race bike the Contessa is the better option all things (FIT!!) being equal (but the Giant TCR Alliance could be in the running then as well).

Handlebars, saddles, stems. are fixable. Talk to the shop and see if they are willing to work with you on a wider set of bars if you don't like the stock ones (many women like/need narrower bars than their male counterparts, so I wouldn't be surprised to find narrower than average bars on a "women's" bike).
    GOOD points, and I really appreciate someone coming out and telling me all this. Money is *extremely* tight so I'd like to think this was going to be my 'only bike ever', but I'm somehow scraping together the funds now so I'll probably be able to do it at a later date too, ya know?

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to race, and with two small children it may not be feasible for the future either. I'm not sure if I can picture myself racing anything more than the occasional small duathlon/triathlon or small race. I picture myself as more a Thursday group ride/century/charity rider.

And you're right, by the time I start racing (IF) I'm going to want an upgrade in components anyway.

I appreciate you clearing my head. Thanks for making those points.

Okay I rode the Scott Contessa, and I love it, so I'm kinda back to square one!
    I have no clue about the contessa because I have never tried it - but I did test ride the Addict and it's light, fast, and very responsive. Definitely good for racing.
    What are the specs on the Contessa?
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/16...essa_speedster

I am actually trying to sell one for a friend, wrong size for me unfortunately. I was thinking of posting it in the forums.

http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/16...essa_speedster

I am actually trying to sell one for a friend, wrong size for me unfortunately. I was thinking of posting it in the forums.
    What size is it?

Small/52 cm. I decided against the Scott because it just doesn't feel right to me, or I might have bought it off of her.

Small/52 cm. I decided against the Scott because it just doesn't feel right to me, or I might have bought it off of her.
    Welp, too big for me!

I may be a Giant dealer, but I am more interested in getting people on the right bike- regardless of the brand. (well except maybe specialized as most of you know).

The avail IS NOT Giant's race geometry. As the other poster stated the TCR is the race bike. The avail is mean't for comfort on the long haul- centuries, and for those that just are not comfortable on an aggresive bike. It's actually the bike that a lot of people getting into the sport gravitate towards.

I do not know Scott's line, but you will want to make sure that it is not their relaxed geometry bike. Most manu's have them in their line now.

If you have it in your head that racing is in your future, I would defintely look towards race geometry. You can still ride centuries on it tho.

I am going with the Giant - it is way more comfortable and natural to me, and the staff was the most friendliest and helpful in my quest. They are the only bike shop (out of 4 I went to) that offered to do a full fit for me, and not just doing a 'standover, adjust the stem, and send me on my way' bit. Plus they have layaway and financing, so I may just go with the Avail Alliance or the TCR Alliance. We'll see if how much my husband will complain if I go that route.

Thanks everyone for the huge amounts of help! It is appreciated.

Hello, What Giant dealer are you dealing with? I'm located in Spokane and am looking at several bike options for my daughter. She is really liking the trek 2.1 as well. I'd like to look at a Giant as I haven't done that yet. A good bike shop with truly helpfull, knowlegable staff is worth it's weight in gold.

I may just go with the Avail Alliance or the TCR Alliance.
    If you have the choice and both fit you well - I would definitely recommend the TCR. It is fast, more aggressive geometry, and more responsive. The TCR would be good for racing if you decide to race.
    Good luck!
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

Quote Originally Posted by bmxovich View Post
    Hello, What Giant dealer are you dealing with? I'm located in Spokane and am looking at several bike options for my daughter. She is really liking the trek 2.1 as well. I'd like to look at a Giant as I haven't done that yet. A good bike shop with truly helpfull, knowlegable staff is worth it's weight in gold.
    If you can come to Coeur d'Alene, I recommend the old Schull's for a Giant dealer. I think they are calling themselves CDA Cycling and Fitness now. I can get you an address and phone number if you want. They are SO helpful and the owner is a women, she's the best. I <3 this store. Sorry, I don't know any dealers in Spokane. I don't know if you'd want to drive all the way over here.
    Coeur d'Alene Cycling and Fitness There is not much on their website yet.

For Trek, I recommend North Division Bicycle. I go over there for my Trek needs (I have a hybrid), even though we have a Trek dealer here in CDA. I made a mistake in not going over there to check out the 2.1. They are pretty nice over there and have a big stock.
    North Division Bicycle

Out of the two, I prefer the service at the Giant dealer here in CDA. Very helpful. Let me know if you need anymore help. Let me know what she gets!
    Last edited by Pan Dulce; 07-03-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Never can beat a shop owned by a woman...
    I'm just sayin'.... ha ha ha

BTW- The avail alliance is an awesome bike. I can't tell the difference between my full carbon tri bike and the alliance. I love that bike. But if you want zippy performance, go with the TCR. Unless comfort is key. Actually since they are doing a full REAL fit on you, they will be the ones that can best tell you what bike to go with, because they will be looking at you and watching your riding style.