Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Sit Bone Pain, how long does it last? -- New to Cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all! I am new to cycling, though my husband is an old hand. We actually just got our new bikes last week after ordering them from Trek. We both got a Trek Madone 5.2 (I got the WSD) and we love them so far. We spent several weekends renting various bikes before we finally decided to shell out the money and get what we really wanted.

My question is regarding pain in my sit bones. As i've only been riding my new bike for one week I highly doubt that my saddle is bad (Selle SMP Strike TRK) and i'm not willing to blame my saddle this early in the game. From reading other threads I figure sit bone pain is normal in the beginning, but how long will it last? I'm sure this depends on how long and how often I ride. Right now i'm only riding between 10-20 miles about every third day as I don't think my bum can handle much more. Does this last for weeks, months, years?

Any advice or personal experiences you could share are greatly appreciated!

Couple of weeks.
    You can speed it up by riding more often (every day, every second day) for a couple days and then taking a couple days off to let the periostitis (that's basically what it is) heal off. Sortofa "Sitbone training camp".
    Diclofenac cream helps in relieving pain. apply moderate amounts several times a day.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Two to three weeks more or less. Ride about 10 miles every other day if possible, or something similar. Mine was excruciatingly painful the first week when I first started riding- then less each time. Now I only get a little in the Spring or after an uunusually long ride- but not terrible anymore.
    Expect some sitbone pain every Spring if you have not been riding during the winter- but it'll likely be much less than the very first time ordeal.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd say I was in constant pain until I found a saddle that really fit (I went through 3 in a month, and I hurt a LOT that entire time). After getting my SMP Strike TRK, I was considerably sore around my sit bones for maybe a week (since they were finally supporting me for the first time)... but after that, which got MUCH better with each ride, I had no other complaints (no soft tissue issues at all) and now that saddle feels like nothing is there... I love it, and I'm glad I found it.

It is entirely possible that the saddle isn't a good fit for you though.. we're all shaped differently, and the SMP design seems to be something you either love and can't do without, or just can't stand. Some people dislike how much wider and more padded the TRK version is compared to the higher end versions. So if it is that you really need a narrower seat (I sure don't!) that could be part of the problem.
    Last edited by sarahspins; 06-29-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Are you wearing padded shorts as well?

I found that I have to ride 3 days a week and it takes a good 3-4 weeks until my bum stops hurting.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Also...and I know we are all girls here....I hope! I shave my area and had to let it grow back during ride season due to stubble friction pain. The sit bones? Give it 2 good solid weeks of riding and wear padded shorts!
    Last edited by Jow28; 06-29-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

I thought it will never stop, I am so glad I came across this post! If I wore padded shorts my backside is huge already hehehe
    You can make your life what you want it to be through belief in God and in yourself.

Thank you all for the replies so far!

I do wear padded shorts, the Pearl Izumi Elite Symphony with a 13mm foam pad. I have read in some threads here that more padding isn't necessarily better and now that I realize I definitely need a second pair of shorts I'm in the process of deciding which ones I want to try (thinking the Sugoi RS short or the Giordana FR Carbon Short though I don't particularly love the long inseam).

I'm going to give my saddle (the Selle SMP Strike TRK) the benefit of the doubt as I love the large canal and cushioning of the seat. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks and hope that my sit bones callous up to the point where shorter rides won't bother me as much.

Giordana could be good. I like their OF pad.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

my sits bone pain went away with the Selle strike smp

interesting ... mine was more related to the saddle .... because the terry saddles generally made me feel like I'm riding on wood.
    But I do think there's a pattern of toughening up at the beginning of the season.
    If it doesn't go away you will want to look at how your saddle fits, and if it's the right saddle for you. TE forums are great and there have been discussions about how to measure your sits bones for correct saddle with. I'm tall and have wide hips, so the women's Selle SMP works for me, but it is apparently too wide of a saddle for many women.

Hallelujah!!!!

Good news! I just went for a 15 mile ride (I know, still short, but hey I have to start somewhere) and I don't feel nearly as sore as I had been. I took 2 days off before I went this morning. I think my saddle is actually right for me, I feel it supports me where it should. I did realize though that I think I had been leaning too far forward on the girly parts when in all actuality I should tilt my hips a bit to shift my weight more towards my sit bones/behind.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyesaz View Post
    Good news! I just went for a 15 mile ride (I know, still short, but hey I have to start somewhere) and I don't feel nearly as sore as I had been. I took 2 days off before I went this morning. I think my saddle is actually right for me, I feel it supports me where it should. I did realize though that I think I had been leaning too far forward on the girly parts when in all actuality I should tilt my hips a bit to shift my weight more towards my sit bones/behind.
    Most excellent!!!!
    Sounds like you really have a handle on things now. You're right about the tilting the pelvis back thing too. I'm so glad it's all working out, pain in the butt is, well....a pain in the butt!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lance Armstrong had a lady ask him , Lance Im new to riding and it really hurts my bottom.When does it stop.
    And in typical dry Lance fashion he replied, Lady- my *** hurts all the time!!
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

I did realize though that I think I had been leaning too far forward on the girly parts when in all actuality I should tilt my hips a bit to shift my weight more towards my sit bones/behind.
    You might tip the nose of your saddle down just a smidge. It took a lot of adjusting both ways before I got mine where I thought it was most comfortable.

Exclamation sympathy pains

I am so glad to hear others are having the same problem as I am. I began riding my stationary bike in February when it was still cold out. I was riding for a better part of on hour every day. My husband and I bought bikes, ( not the most elite, but new nonetheless), and began riding on bike trails approximately a month ago. We try and do at least 10 miles daily before or after work and then the 25+ rides on the weekends. I have bought padded shorts, I have played around with the height and position of my seat, I am constantly repositioning myself, I have purchased a different seat, and I've taken days off in between rides but I still am having the pain problem. It's to the point I want to cry. Not just from the pain, but from the mere frustration. It does feel better after I take a day or two off but I want to find another solution. I saw someone mention some type of cream. What exactly is it and where can you purchase it? I am open to any and all suggestions. I refuse to let the bike seat win.