Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Pink socks, tv, etc. : commuter route celebration

To disable ads, please log-in.

Did do 50 kms. today --over 80% of route was repeating a segment 4 times for early morning tv filming at new segment along a new commuter bike route extension. Also be ride sweep for group of folks to orient them to the new route.

It was celebration event by a bike-pedestrian bridge along the route connects the core of 3 municipalities from downtown Vancouver and eastward for 24 kms...that would avoid several hills. 300,000 people live near this whole route of which 150,000 jobs are located nearby also.

Tv cameraman mounted camera in someone's wide bike basket as another possible film angle. But probably too much vibration 'cause there were no clips from her basket.

lst pic -Guy is cycling with a sample bus bike rack for demo purposes at bike-related events. Holds 2 bikes on top.

So we had 5 min. of tv fame in local news...including a 5 sec. shot of my bike shoe adorned with pink topped socks as I turned my leg 'round the pedal while on bike bridge.

Beautiful, hot day for a route that has taken ..over 10 years to complete the whole length. About 50% of route was done here and there every few years, depending municipal location of section. Involving municipal, provincial and federal parties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3382.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	9514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3402.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	9515  
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-27-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Super cool!!! Sounds like it was a great way to open a great pathway. How forward thinking of your city to start this 10 years ago.
    Cool that your pink socks made the spot!

I like the bus bike rack demo guy. I wish I could practice on one before trying to use one. I really think about using the bus (especially on ozone alert days when it's free), but I'm so worried about not knowing how to operate the bus bike rack, that I don't do it. I know- I should just suck it up and try. I just don't want to be the annoying bike girl who holds the bus up for 10 minutes while she tries to figure it out.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I like the bus bike rack demo guy. I wish I could practice on one before trying to use one. I really think about using the bus (especially on ozone alert days when it's free), but I'm so worried about not knowing how to operate the bus bike rack, that I don't do it. I know- I should just suck it up and try. I just don't want to be the annoying bike girl who holds the bus up for 10 minutes while she tries to figure it out.
    +1. Feel your aggravation. Me too, I dislike whole bus watching me struggle..at peak hr.

Photo shows an older model which is still on some of our buses. New models require hand strength to deal with the bike holder clasps on the rack. Both male and female cyclists complain about this problem.

Another pic of some participants below. The baby bike is on top of the bike trailer which there was a child inside that the woman /mother was pulling along today.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-04-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

shootingstar-sounds like you had a fun day. Is there anyway to link the actually news broadcast so we can watch. I love happy bike news.

Tri Girl- if you contact the bus company they may let you come to the bus yard to learn to put your bike on the racks. You can even suggest they have a demo day the next time your area has a bike event. I'm sure if you are worried about the racks other people are too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post

Tri Girl- if you contact the bus company they may let you come to the bus yard to learn to put your bike on the racks. You can even suggest they have a demo day the next time your area has a bike event. I'm sure if you are worried about the racks other people are too.
    You know- that's a good idea. I'd never thought to call them and ask. Thanks!!!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Jones, so far tv clip of us cycling the new bike bridge, etc. has not yet been provided free on tv station's website. I can only add dryily, that perhaps they know several parties would be interested in this clip..and they can charge a fee.

Different clip of just the tv broadcaster talking but no cycling is available immediately on website.

PHotos below show the range of different places that the route runs through.
    http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php...unicipalities/

A blog of someone's photos for event.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stchou/...th/3666900538/
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-28-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Wow that looks great. Enjoy your new bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post

It is WAY easier than you might think, and the bus driver will usually give you a hand if you ask nicely. This winter, on a bus I don't usually ride, the bus rack was frozen (they wash the buses at night) and I could NOT get the thing down. The bus driver came out and we shook it and shook it. Then a big guy passenger got off the bus and the three of us shook it until it came loose. People are psyched when they can help. Don't be afraid - GO FOR IT!
    I can do five more miles.

Congrats on the route completion, the coverage, and for being involved. Awesome all around!

+1 on calling to try out a bike rack. I've met the folks responsible in 2 city gov'ts and they're very much open to ways to get people to try. I got to try one out the first time at a community bike event where they brought a bus down so anyone could give it a shot -- and now I do it several times a week. In Denver the main downtown bus terminal actually has a full-time demo rack inside!

Another tactic is to try it out on a Saturday or non-peak hour, so not so stressful, or to test it one day by driving to the first stop on that route, or to a terminal or other non-street stop where the bus is stopped longer and there's no traffic to worry about.

Just know that it doesn't take nearly as long as you think, and you're helping increase both bus ridership and bike commuting, so you're one of the happy stats for the city employees!

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Tri Girl- if you contact the bus company they may let you come to the bus yard to learn to put your bike on the racks.
    My local transit district has two transit centers where most of their routes either start or end. There's almost always a bus or three resting there between runs. If your system has something similar, that's a good place to try out loading your bike.

For me, the hard part of is juggling all the loose items that need to be removed from a bike: water bottles, cell phone case, blinky light, cycling jacket, bike lock, grocery item (to take home), sandwich (to eat on the bus), and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Jones, so far tv clip of us cycling the new bike bridge, etc. has not yet been provided free on tv station's website. I can only add dryily, that perhaps they know several parties would be interested in this clip..and they can charge a fee.

Different clip of just the tv broadcaster talking but no cycling is available immediately on website.

PHotos below show the range of different places that the route runs through.
    http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php...unicipalities/

A blog of someone's photos for event.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stchou/...th/3666900538/
    That pathway looks AMAZING!!!!!! I can't' believe how beautiful not only the pathway is but the scenery as well. If it weren't so blasted cold in the winter in Canada (and northern USA for that matter), I'd move up there.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)