Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A day of firsts!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, first and foremost, it was Day One of the Tour which automatically makes it a grand day in my book. We got up bright and early to watch the pre-race blithering (which, I'm ashamed to admit, I really enjoy, but ask me again in another week or 2).

But soon we had to leave the rest of the race recording on the TiVo to head out to Woodside for an ACTC club ride. It was our first time taking part in a series called "Tortoises Climbing Hills". This series of rides goes on the big climbs in the area but a leisurely pace, and no one is left behind. Nice bunch of people, a few we already knew, and a few more we met on the ride.

The ride took us up Old La Honda Road which is used by many around here as a benchmark climb to gauge fitness. The Western Wheeler's club uses climbing time up OLH as a guideline to help people decide what category of ride they're suited for. The B category rides would be suitable for people posting a time of 60-40 minutes up OLH, the C category 40-30 minutes, D 30-25 minutes, E 25-20 minutes and F less than 20 minutes (the 'official' record up OLH is something like 14 minutes. )

Never having done this climb before (another first), I thought it would be fun to see where I stacked up in the Grand Scheme, so when Waldo & I reached the 'official' start of the climb (a small bridge over a creek) I glanced at my wristwatch. I figured all those miles trying to stay within sight distance of V. and SadieKate & Kim up Mt. Diablo must have amounted to something , so I hoped finishing under 40 minutes would be a realistic goal.

OLH is a very pleasant climb - very shady and quiet. There weren't many cars on the road, and the pavement was fairly smooth for the most part. So I settled in and enjoyed the ride. I knew the climb was a bit under 4 miles but I didn't want to psych myself out by keeping track of how far I had to go, so I switched my computer readout from mileage to % gradient (hah, way to not psych myself out, eh?). I wasn't lollygagging, but on the flip side I didn't want to kill myself, I just wanted to go at a reasonable pace for me. It's a very popular climb in the area and I was passed by a lot of people on my way up, many as though I were standing still (must've been the F crowd )

At one point, as I was passing by someone (this didn't happen very often, trust me), I glanced at my watch and saw about 30 minutes had gone by. I thought, cool, hopefully I'm about 3/4 of the way there. So I asked the woman I was passing how much farther we had to go and she told me we were almost there! Come to find out we were at about the 90% mark - she told me that the house numbers roughly refected the % duration of the climb, and we were passing the 900's (or was it 9000? whatever) at that time. Well I was jazzed let me tell you! I ended up finishing the climb in a bit under 33 minutes, yee hah!

I must take this opportunity to extend a big 'ol thankyee kindly to the TE girls' hill training program, couldn't have done it without ya's.

Well, what goes up must go down - time for another first, one that I was sure I would never attempt. Seems one of the most popular ways of descending after climbing OLH is to go north a couple of miles on Skyline Blvd. and then plummet down windey highway 84 back into Woodside. I've driven this stretch of road many times in the past and was always amazed and appalled by the cyclists careening down this moderately busy road, many going waaay faster than me in my car (and more than a few doing boneheaded things like passing on the left or on the right, tailgating, that sort of thing ). Even after I'd been road riding for quite some time, I figured that descent was for the crazypeople, not I.

Well, my descending skills have improved a lot over time, so I figured I'd give it a go, and call me crazy, it was an absolute blast !!! I had an ear-to-ear grin going all the way down, what fun. Our little group really lucked out, we had no cars in front or behind us for the entire descent ( and I am ashamed to admit we exceeded the speed limit much of the way down ). It was a nice smooth wide road with well-banked turns and good sightlines for the most part. I averaged about 30 going down, maxing out at about 35 at a couple of places - I shudder to think how fast V. would have done it. At one point a woman from the Webcor team blew right past us (after very politely calling out), she must have been doing 40-ish, whee.

And when we reached our cars, one of friends suggested lunch at the Alpine Inn, also known as Rosatti's or "Zotts", a fixture in the area but one I've never been to, another first. We enjoyed burgers & fries and Sierra Nevada on tap (yummm) under a shady tree in their backyard seating area. Good place, I'll be back.

A day of epic & fun firsts.
    Last edited by jobob; 07-02-2005 at 07:43 PM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Woohooo!!! Sounds like a great day Jo!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Thumbs up

Give the lady a 10 for landing a triple! Yippee! I tell you, we ought to consider packaging and selling the TE Girls' Hill Training Program.

Did Lee ride? He was probably riding caboose telling everyone how proud and happy he is with his cycling demon of a wife.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Wow! How cool Jobob, congratulations!!

I wish I had a hill like that around. Ours (Mount-Royal) take about 5 minutes to climb for the likes of your F group and more like 8-9 to me. (It's a stage of the Women's World Championship, they go around it 11 times ...)

How can we join the TEGHTP thing? !! I'm interested!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grog

How can we join the TEGHTP thing? !! I'm interested!!!
    Take a trip to San Francisco and ride a whole bunch of hills with us. It started out as Thom (my hubby) wanting to ride the local mountain twice a month and morphed into Sarah's goal of climbing 100,000 feet in the year. So when we choose a ride to do together it usually has some decent climbing in it. I've seen both Jo and Sarah become real climbing fiends this year. It's kind of scary.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I've seen both Jo and Sarah become real climbing fiends this year. It's kind of scary.
    Hee hee. In my case it's still a "wait for meeeeeee" sort of thing - as I improve, so do V. and Sarah, darn them , but at least I'm not lagging as far back as I used to!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Yay jo! That's one of Marcia's rides, correct? I've ridden with her before, very easy going, nice. I'm going to do my damndest to stay healthy and injury free, and join the tortoise series next year. I'm hoping to join the TE girls hill training later this summer - can I bungee cord my bike to Waldo?

congrats jobob who writes "So I asked the woman ... how much farther ... and she told me we were almost there!.... she told me that the house numbers roughly refected the % duration of the climb, and we were passing the 900's (or was it 9000? whatever) at that time."

what impresses me is that you finished the climb in under 33 minutes WITH breath to talk. Not just "gasp...how...gasp...much...wheeze...more...?" but really talk. It's like on ALC when I got to the top of Evil Twins with two other women riders and we sang our way to the top. Not breaking ANY land speed records mind you but singing "Aint No Mountain High Enough". Ok, I'm slow as molasses but on my bike and singing...very badly.

OK coach spazzdog, I'm off to crosstrain.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Jobob... you so totally rock! I saw that ride listed and thought... nope! Too hard for me! Maybe someday I'll join you. Old La Honda is no easy climb and you did it!! And that rockin' descent... you have every reason to be very proud of yourself!

I want to ride to 'Zott's someday and eat a big lunch. Somday I will.

Jo, you give me lots of inspiration to work hard and attain my goals. Thanks for sharing your ride report with us!

Way to go Jo!! Wooohooooo what a Great ascent and how much fun was that descent!! So were you officially placed with the "F" group??...and did Webcorp offer you a contract??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Take a trip to San Francisco and ride a whole bunch of hills with us. It started out as Thom (my hubby) wanting to ride the local mountain twice a month and morphed into Sarah's goal of climbing 100,000 feet in the year. So when we choose a ride to do together it usually has some decent climbing in it. I've seen both Jo and Sarah become real climbing fiends this year. It's kind of scary.
    That sounds great!! I'm already turning into a climbing fiend and I'll have some Hills Training by later this year so I might actually join you for more hills training sometime this Winter. I'm moving to Vancouver and I have a friend in San Francisco whom I really want to visit while I'm there. I might as well bring my bike and ride with you gals!

I'll let you know when I can come, probably sometime in November!! And then maybe we can have a Vancouver Training Camp in March or April.

I wonder if my roomie would mind me coming to CA for like... 2 months?

spazz

(i think she'd kill me... )
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    I wonder if my roomie would mind me coming to CA for like... 2 months?

spazz

(i think she'd kill me... )
    We'll write you a note...."Please excuse Spazz....."