Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post
    Side story- I was on a ride the other week and this guy friend of mine was talking about this girls HUGE cameltoe (guys do notice) and said I had to see it. So I took a gander at the next rest stop. I pointed out to him that she had one because of the inseam up the middle of her cycling shorts. When she stood with her legs together the padding buldged on either side of the seam. It was pretty bad looking.

Ok, I will definitely remember to look for teh seam. I, too, will be looking for a pair of tri shorts in the near future.
    I DO NOT want camel toes! No, not ever!
    katluvr

I had a pair of Craft shorts like that. Tossed them, never wore them (got them on sale). I can't understand how anyone could design them that way and expect them to be flattering.

After a 30 year hiatus, I'm back to swimming and remember why I spent all those childhood summers at the pool. Being an Aquarius, I love the water.

It's amazing -- the more time I spend doing laps, the better I get and farther I can go without getting tired. Working on technique really has made me better, too (thanks to all here for the generous tips).

My job is getting in the way of my biking, swimming, reading, dog walking/playing/bonding, hiking, etc. Maybe I should take my husband's advice and go part time!

I'm going to have to find a good swimming venue once the swim club closes after Labor Day.
    Last edited by Selkie; 07-09-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: corrected the manufacturer of the shorts

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Sometimes you just can't be that picky about the center seam. I've been searching for tri shorts, and the pair that had an 8" inseam (minimum inseam I can get by with) and no center seam didn't fit right at all--way too loose in the legs and way too tight a gripper.

So I ended up with some Louis Garneau shorts that have a center seam but are really long and really compressive and really comfortable and don't have a gripper. As with everything, we've gotta make compromises. I just don't notice the camel toe business on anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Sometimes you just can't be that picky about the center seam. I've been searching for tri shorts, and the pair that had an 8" inseam (minimum inseam I can get by with) and no center seam didn't fit right at all--way too loose in the legs and way too tight a gripper.

So I ended up with some Louis Garneau shorts that have a center seam but are really long and really compressive and really comfortable and don't have a gripper. As with everything, we've gotta make compromises. I just don't notice the camel toe business on anyone else.
    Which shorts are those--the Louis Garneaus?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Which shorts are those--the Louis Garneaus?
    These. I usually wear a large in bike shorts, but the XL in these is just about as tight as I could stand. Once on, they're great.

That's very inspiring, Alex!

I've done four triathlons and the swim basically killed the sport for me. I'm terrible at it-- I reckon I was poorly taught back in the days of girl scout camp and don't have the natural knack for it!

While I don't have the money to spare for TI lessons, it made me think "maybe I should start hitting the pool at school" (cause it's free) etc etc. I really need to unlearn and start over again!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    That's very inspiring, Alex!

I've done four triathlons and the swim basically killed the sport for me. I'm terrible at it-- I reckon I was poorly taught back in the days of girl scout camp and don't have the natural knack for it!

While I don't have the money to spare for TI lessons, it made me think "maybe I should start hitting the pool at school" (cause it's free) etc etc. I really need to unlearn and start over again!
    Many pools have a "perfect your stroke" sort of class; this might be a good help for you. Also ask about private lessons. It might only take a few sessions to get you swimming better.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Thanks for the tip! I could probably tap some of my friends who coach my school's swim team for private lessons for a fee. I really practically sink. Part of it is poor form and part of it is poor aerobic ability in the water. I swam a pokey breast stroke in all four triathlons I completed! Really though, swimming is the only thing keeping me from doing tris. I miss the sense of accomplishment!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Thanks for the tip! I could probably tap some of my friends who coach my school's swim team for private lessons for a fee. I really practically sink. Part of it is poor form and part of it is poor aerobic ability in the water. I swam a pokey breast stroke in all four triathlons I completed! Really though, swimming is the only thing keeping me from doing tris. I miss the sense of accomplishment!
    I was a sinker, too, until I learned better balance; it was stroke or sink. Now I can actually glide. If I can do it then there is hope for anyone.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post
    I loved Desoto stuff in the past... but their new designs starting in 2008 have sucked. Just odd seams on the tri shorts and odd cut tops. I use to love them because the neckline was up to my collarbone and the bottom came down to my hips.

One thing I would STRONGLY suggest you look for are tri shorts that DO NOT have a SEAM up the MIDDLE OF THE CROTCH and through the padding. Some tri shorts are designed this way and it looks horrible. I mean really... it gives you a cameltoe because the padding on either side of the seam bulges out. It's horrible.

Desoto luckily has stayed away from the seam up the middle of the crotch. I believe TYR has too. So take a look at those brands.
    Thanks for the shopping tips! I did try on a pair of Desoto shorts that I sort of liked. They didn't have a center seam, but the seams in front were strangely placed, shall we say...

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Many pools have a "perfect your stroke" sort of class; this might be a good help for you. Also ask about private lessons. It might only take a few sessions to get you swimming better.
    DH taught himself how to swim from the TI DVD and book and it took him quite a while. I think it's hard to do it yourself because you don't even really know what you are doing wrong. In my case, with my breathing breakthrough this week, it was as simple as not tucking my chin when I rotated to breathe. I don't know that I ever would have figured that out on my own.

I am pretty fortunate that I am a floater. My mom can't swim, but she can float for days!

Alex

I've done four triathlons and the swim basically killed the sport for me.
    Oh, that's too bad! I hope you can find someone to help you.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Thanks for the shopping tips! I did try on a pair of Desoto shorts that I sort of liked. They didn't have a center seam, but the seams in front were strangely placed, shall we say...

Alex
    UGH. Those were the 2008 model. They were HORRIBLE! The seems in the front/back made it look like you were wearing underwear under the shorts. Horrible. I'm not sure what idiot designed those.

They have created a new style of shorts for 2009 and got rid of those "underwear seams" that they 2008 model had.

The 2009's are normal and fine.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"