Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anybody like men's saddles? Suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I never had kids, so I don't have spread out bones & women's saddles are like wearing one of those old fashioned sanitary napkins. My Serfas is so old that it is splitting.

Does anybody ride on a men's saddle that they can recommend? I tried my LBS but no luck.

Thanks!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

um, having kids doesn't make your hip bones spread. Being a woman endows you with hips wide enough and a pelvic opening large enough to bear children.

I ride a men's saddle, a Brooks B67

Start experimenting.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

they do make skinny mini little women's saddles-- I've seen them. Never tried a men's.

Speaking of saddles, if my front-area lady bits feel squashed on my seat, does that mean I should rotate the saddle with the front down a bit more? I have one of those standard bontrager seats that comes with a lot of WSD models. I'm considering one with a cutaway in the middle.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    um, having kids doesn't make your hip bones spread. Being a woman endows you with hips wide enough and a pelvic opening large enough to bear children.

I ride a men's saddle, a Brooks B67

Start experimenting.
    Thanks - I'll look at the Brooks.

I've been riding for 20 years - and when I started riding there were no women's saddles - at least not in my city's LBS's. So, I might just be used to men's saddles. (We also had to use men's shoes - that was a trick!)

I'll let my gyn know that she's wrong about the pelvic girdle spreading during childbirth.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post

I'll let my gyn know that she's wrong about the pelvic girdle spreading during childbirth.
    I don't recommend riding during childbirth.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I have Fizik Ariones on both of my bikes. I find them very comfortable.

If I were to look for a different saddle, I would be looking at men's saddles again. Even though I am very pear-shaped and have wide hips, I have narrowish sit bones (around 125 center to center), and I tend to ride with my hips rolled forward a bit. When I try wider saddles, I always feel like I am running into the wide part, if that makes any sense.

I also do not do well with cutouts.

If you are more comfortable on a narrower saddle, you're in luck -- there's a huge selection to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    I don't recommend riding during childbirth.
    Maybe with a large enough cut-out?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Does anybody ride on a men's saddle that they can recommend? I tried my LBS but no luck.

Thanks!
    I like the Terry Fly.
    Another bike of ours has a WTB Speed saddle. I think it's this one (although an older design) and it's been really good.

I never had kids, so I don't have spread out bones & women's saddles are like wearing one of those old fashioned sanitary napkins. My Serfas is so old that it is splitting.

Thanks!
    I'm not getting the sanitary napkin analogy.

What is your sit bone width?

With the sanitary napkin analogy, I'm wondering if she's talking about them being too wide in the nose, not in the rear at all? I need a narrow nose and a wide rear. (And no, I don't have children, I come by my wide sitbones naturally.)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Another Brooks mens' saddle rider here.

I tried a Brooks woman's saddle (I think it was a B17S) but I couldn't stand it.

I've been riding standard B17 saddles for a few years now, but just recently I switched to the Brooks Team Pro, which is slightly narrower in the nose area, but as far as I can tell about the same width in the rear.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Brooks makes their 'women's' saddles shorter, which sure doesn't work for me either.
    I ride their widest saddle- the B68, but in the 'men's' versions, which is 'normal' length. It's wide whether it's the men's or women's version.
    Thus, I think it's more accurate to just refer to the width and shape of saddles, because saddles are not neatly split into Men's and Women's.

Some women have WIDE sitbones and have never had children, and some friends of mine have had several children yet they have very narrow pelvises and need narrow saddles.
    It's mostly about your genetics and bone structure. When pregnant, our bodies do produce more Relaxin- a natural hormone which makes connective tissue and ligaments in the pelvis more flexible, so the pelvis can actually spread a bit during childbirth. That doesn't mean you have wider sitbones after having children, but it means the joints in the pelvis can move more during pregnancy to accommodate a baby's head passing through. After pregnancy we supposedly go back to normal Relaxin levels and the effect fades.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^