Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Accessories for a touring bike - pumps, pedals, etc...need help!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got my Surly LHT and need to start buying some accessories for it. I probably won't tour right away, but want to start buying things that can be used for that application in addition to my regular rides.

I was using a regular frame pump with my old road bike, but it doesn't fit the Surly (too small). Anyone recommend a particular frame mount pump that works good for all-around use + touring?

In regards to pedals, I am using road pedals...Shimano SPD-SL. Not sure if these will be good for touring because they are not easy to walk in. My MTB shoes have Crank Bros. cleats on them since I use eggbeaters on the MTB. Anyone use any of the CB pedals for touring applications? What pedals work well for touring?

Eventually I will buy racks and panniers, but not quite yet.

If there are any other accessories I should be thinking about, feel free to bring my attention to them. Thanks!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    A large saddlebag for when panniers are overkill?

Lighting?

3 bottle cages?

Got fenders?

A folding spare tire in addition to your usual spare tubes and patch kits?

Not sure what kind of distances you are considering.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have not done touring yet with my Surly LHT, but since I put three water bottle cages on my 42cm frame, I do not have room to mount my pump on the frame. Well, I guess I could under the top tube, but I simply strap it on my rear rack. (Actually on the bottom side of the rear rack, so it does not interfere with panniers or anything I might put on top of the rack. I use small velcro straps.)

As far as pedals, I am just using mountain bike SPD pedals with a good pair of mountain bike shoes.
    Burning fat, building fitness . . . one mile at a time . . . one hill at a time.

Mirror?

Map case or some kind of handlebar clip system for your cue sheets? (I just ordered the Detours Digi Midge for my road bike. It's tiny but incorporates a small clear window on top for tucking in a folded cue sheet....Detours appears to have a nice range of small, sturdy bags to help keep things handy on a stem or top tube.)

Lights to make sure that you're highly visible to traffic?

Small horn or bell?

My 54 surly long haul has a topeak road morph pump that is mounted on the backside of the seat tube.
    I've enjoyed having a front pack on mine that I use touring and for regular rides.
    I like speedplay frogs pedals better than spd's. I've not used any crank brothers pedals.
    You might consider a different width tire for regular road rides. Did you buy the complete bike or build it up from a frame?
    Have fun on your new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by canonsue View Post
    I have not done touring yet with my Surly LHT, but since I put three water bottle cages on my 42cm frame, I do not have room to mount my pump on the frame. Well, I guess I could under the top tube, but I simply strap it on my rear rack. (Actually on the bottom side of the rear rack, so it does not interfere with panniers or anything I might put on top of the rack. I use small velcro straps.)

As far as pedals, I am just using mountain bike SPD pedals with a good pair of mountain bike shoes.
    I have a 42cm LHT also. I mounted my Road Morph pump behind the seat tube, between the seat tube and the fender. There is tons of space there!

I wasn't happy with the water bottle mount spots; I can only fit small bottles, but it has worked out ok so far.

I have Shimano 324 SPD pedals. I like the clip on one side and the platform on the other.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

when I toured, I had one water bottle (but it got hot) so I pulled out my camel back - it must be more insulated - and strapped it on top of my sleeping bag and tent on my rack and would just drink as necessary....

I have bottle cages, lights, computer. Not quite ready to buy the heavy-touring stuff just yet. I thought about buying different tires for just every day road rides. Any suggestions? I was told I could do 26 X 1.25. I guess I could just buy a MTB type pump and mount it with a bottle cage - just wondering what would work best for this bike. Yeah, I have the complete.

nothing in the world can beat the Topeak Road Morph G (G for Gauge )

it weighs 1/2 pound and even a puny armed soul like me can pump tires up with the thing.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

The road morph looks like a good choice. For replacement tubes, I have the tires that came on it which are 26" X 38mm. 38mm is just under 1.5", so if buying replacement tubes should I get 26 X 1.1-1.4 tubes or 2 X 1.5-2.0 ? These seem to be my choices at Nashbar with presta valves. I am thinking about getting 1.25 tires, too, but not sure. Thoughts?

touring goodies

Have you considered getting the Keen SPD sandals? They are more comfortable than pretty much any cycling shoe. They aren't the best if you're in really cold weather, but you could always do like Sheldon Brown and wear them year round with thick wool socks

Haven't tried it but you may even be able to put booties on over them as well.

The pump I use is a crank bros. alloy pump w/gauge. You can mount it almost anywhere because it's small. It does take a little practice to get used to how it works, but once you've got it down it works like a charm.

I've also heard of people using the crank bros. pedals for touring. Some people love them and other dislike them because they claim they don't have enough float. I don't have any personal experience with them so I can't really say.

I'm assuming you may already know of this website, but if not it's SUPER helpful when planning tours and figuring out what to use while touring www.crazyguyonabike.com

There is also bicycletouringpro.com and bicyclingtouring101.com
    Last edited by radicalrye; 11-08-2009 at 12:29 AM.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalrye View Post
    Have you considered getting the Keen SPD sandals? They are more comfortable than pretty much any cycling shoe. They aren't the best if you're in really cold weather, but you could always do like Sheldon Brown and wear them year round with thick wool socks

Haven't tried it but you may even be able to put booties on over them as well.
    +1 on the Keens.
    I wear mine even in the winter. I wear Wolly Bully thick wool socks and I just bought a pair of winter cycling booties to put over them. Ordered them a size bigger than my normal cycling shoe and they slip right over. I love the Keens even better than my expensive Sidi road shoes. They're the only shoe I wear now (on multi-day trips, in triathlons, commuting, etc). They may look silly in winter and on my carbon fiber tri bike- but I don't care about looks- I care about comfort!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I have the Specialized Taho shoes. They're very comfortable. They don't bother my bunions at all and even are comfortable to walk in if I didn't bring other shoes along.

Deb