Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Nova Scotia Lighthouses

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone! I am planning my next big tour, and I saw a great article about over 100 lighthouses in Nova Scotia all clumped in about 300 miles of highway (or fewer - I can't remember). Anyway, I am starting my research. I have printed off a google map with all the lighthouses marked. I have contacted the Nova Scotia tourism dept, and now I am tapping this resource. I am wondering if anyone knows if this route (or part of it) is bicycle friendly. Are there shoulders on the highways? Are there better routes to take by bicycle than others? Is there a list of lodging along the way - I would prefer to do a credit card tour (I like showers) than a full on camping / cooking event. Maybe I'm soft in my old age... anyway, whatever info anyone has, I would be grateful! Thanks!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Staying in /near Lunenberg, Mahone Bay or Chester would be lovely. As mentioned under "Touring" section we cycled to these places plus Peggy's Cove (which is abit touristy, but still interesting). The main highway from Lunenburg to Halifax can be busy. My partner thinks there maybe a rail trail nearby..that was created after I was there.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-23-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Nova Scotia Lighthouses

There's a touring company that I work for that runs a trip in Nova Scotia. Basically, their trip runs from Yarmouth to Liverpool and back to Yarmouth... might be a great way to see lots of great scenery and many Lighthouses. Check out their website: Inmotionevents.net.

I cycled Nova Scotia in 2006. There was very little traffic compared to where I live. Here's a link to my report.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/wordpress/2006/07/

Clicking on either picture will take you to the rest of the photos.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Lotsandlotsandlots of information here
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

thanks, all! I have two books coming (any old excuse to buy a book), and a whole year to drool over it all... Good links - thanks!

Mind you this was 26 years ago.... but my mom and I and a family friend cycled Nova Scotia from Yamouth to Digby to Briar Island and back (we took the ferry from Maine) and it was quite nice. I don't remember much traffic after we were out of Halifax. There's not too many light houses in that area, but we did camp right outside of one on Briar Island. I remember it being very windy and difficult to set up the tent (as well as rocky so nothing to stake down to)

p.s. this is a memory of a 12 yo's opinion, but Rappie Pie looks like snot.... (made of potatoes I believe)
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N