Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I guess my only *issue* is that I need something I can take on the road, and that will STAY COLD 2-3 hours later.

I pack my Camelback with ice and some water... and it stays nice and cool. I can still get cold water (in 90+ degree temperatures) 2-3-4 hours after I pack it.

Gatorade is so easy to get at the stores we stop at... whereas carrying around Pedialyte (? spelling) sounds like *effort*. And I can put it in my insulated water bottle with ice I suppose... but how is that going to taste 2 hours later?

MORE RECIPES!

These are from cptips.com. They are from the old-school camp, I think, not really kosher with the article originally posted on this thread, but people might like them.
    Check out the last one (recipe #5), I haven't tried it yet, but it looks yummy!

HOMEMADE SPORTS DRINKS
    For many years it was believed that a 2.5% concentration (glucose or glucose polymer molecules) was the maximum that could be tolerated without delaying gastric emptying and producing nausea. However a recent study of cyclists demonstrated normal gastric emptying with 6 to 8% solutions, and nausea occurred only when concentrations were pushed above 11%. The old standbys - fruit juices and cola drinks - have a sugar concentration of around 10% (a typical carbonated drink will contain 38 grams of sugar per 12 ounces with 140 Calories). Although sports drinks supplemented with glucose polymers can provide more Calories per quart at the target 10 - 11% concentration, studies have failed to demonstrate a performance advantage of complex carbohydrate drinks over those compoced of simple sugars if the same total Calories were ingested. The advantage of the polymers is the absence of a sweet taste and nauseating properties of high concentration glucose drinks, which can be a barrier to maintaining an adequate fluid intake.
    Many people enjoy their own homemade versions of commercial sports drinks. The basic recipe is not complicated and homemade sports drinks can provide all of the same benefits when mixed properly. Gatorade (tm) is formulated to give the following per 8oz serving:

14grams Carbohydrate (5.9%)
    110 mg Sodium
    30mg Potassium
    52 Calories
    Alternatives to this commercial product can be made using one of the following recipes:

Recipe #1

10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
    .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
    1 package of unsweetened Coolade mix for flavor
    Water to make 2 liters
    Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of 124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2% concentration.
    14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
    53 calories
    103 mg Sodium
    121 mg Potassium
    You'll notice that the amount of potassium is quite a bit higher than Gatorade, but the rest is pretty close. As excess potassium is eliminated from the body by the kidneys, and some experts feel a high potassium helps to minimize muscle cramps - and hypertension if taken long term - this is not necessarily bad. However, if you wanted to reduce the potassium to the level of a Gatorade product, another option would be to use 1/2 tsp. each of regular salt and the Morton Lite Salt. This would change the composition to:
    104mg sodium
    40mg potassium

Recipe #2 (if you wanted to reduce the amount of potassium, or simply didn't want to buy some Morton Lite Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    9 tbs. Sugar
    3/8 tsp Salt
    Water to 2 liters
    Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces):

14.4 grams carb (6.1%)
    104 mg sodium
    28.4 mg Potassium
    (you could substitute 2 tbs. of lemon juice for the orange juice and it would come out the same - or at least close).

Recipe #3 (using cups and quarts)
    4 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup boiling water
    1/4 cup orange juice (not concentrate) or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    3-3/4 cups cold water
    1. In the bottom of a pitcher, dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water.
    2. Add the juice and the remaining water; chill.
    Yield: 1 quart
    Calories - 50
    carbohydrate 12 grams
    sodium 110 milligrams
    potassium 30 milligrams

Recipe #4 (if you prefer an all fructose drink)
    125 mL (1/2 c) orange juice (or other sugar-containing beverage)
    125 mL (1/2 c) water
    0.25 mL (pinch) salt
    Calories - 59
    carbohydrates 14 grams
    sodium - 118 mg

Recipe #5 Lemon-orange sports drink
    1 caffeine-free lemon tea bag
    Water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons orange juice
    Bring 16 ounces of water to a boil.
    Steep lemon tea bag.
    Dissolve sugar and salt in the tea and let cool.
    Combine the tea and orange juice and chill.
    Calories - 60
    carbohydrates - 15g
    sodium -130mg

Quote Originally Posted by Technotart
    My son came home with a case of drinks given to him by one of the team sponsers yesterday - ingredients: water, fructose, flavoring, sodium, potassium, vitamins and ASPARTAME?????

now WHY would you put aspartame in a SPORTS drink???? I swear the idiots at the companies that make some of this stuff need to study A) Human physiology B) Chemistry and C) Nutrition.
    Just curious as to what your argument against Aspartame is? Other than the controversy of the side effects of consuming too much.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Just curious as to what your argument against Aspartame is? Other than the controversy of the side effects of consuming too much.
    Aspartame has been linked to increased cases of MS and Lupus plus various and sundry eye and neurological disorders. It has also been shown to create insulin imbalance. Since Aspartame is sweeter tasting, manufacturers have started adding it to foods that already have sugar in them to heighten the sweetness. Asparatame has also been shown to increase sugar cravings (probably due to causing an insulin imbalance). There are currently several cases pending against the manufacturers of Aspartame due to the medical disorders it is causing.

(getting off my Aspartame soapbox)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Thanks, Corsiar. I'm just curious if she had other objections that weren't linked to the medical side effects issues.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

what an informative article.that's for sharing

Thumbs down Aspertame? Bleckh! ~sticks out tongue~

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Well aside from what CorsairMac said, here's an artical that my Aunt just sent me a couple of days ago in an e-mail. I have never liked aspertame and really don't like it now.

~Liz

"In October of 2001, my sister started getting very sick, she had stomach spasms, she was having a hard time getting around; to walk was a major chore. It took everything she had just to get out of bed, she was in so much pain By March 2002, she had undergone biopsies, and was on 24 various prescription medications. The doctors could not figure out what was wrong with her. She was in so much pain, and so sick, she knew she was dying.

She put her house, bank accounts, life insurance, etc., in her oldest daughter’s name, and made sure her younger children were to be with her oldest daughter.

She planned a trip to Florida (basically in a wheelchair) for March 22nd. On March 19th I called her to ask her how one of her tests went, and she said they didn't find anything on

Friend of mine emailed to me... and I asked her... Do you drink Diet pop?

She told me yes, as a matter of fact she was getting ready to crack one open that moment, I told her not to open it, and stop drinking the diet pop....and I emailed her the following article. She called me within 32 hours after our phone conversation and told me she stopped drinking the diet pop, and she can walk...she went up the stairs, and the muscle spasms went away. She said she didn't feel 100% but sure felt a lot better. She told me she was going to her doctors with this article and would call me back when she got home.

She called me, and her doctor was amazed, he is going to call all of his MS patients to find out if they consumed artificial sweetener. In a nutshell, she was being poisoned by the aspartame in the diet soda, dying a slow death.

When she got to FL March 22nd, all she had to take was one pill, and that was a pill for poisoning....she is well on her way to recovery!....and she is walking!!! No wheelchair!!!! This article saved her life! The life saving article:

If it says "SUGAR FREE," on the label, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! I have spent several days lecturing at the WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL CONFERENCE on "ASPARTAME" marketed as 'NutraSweet,' 'Equal,' and 'Spoonful.' In the keynote address by the EPA, it was announced that in the United States in 2001 there is an epidemic of multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus, that it was hard to understand what toxin was causing this to be rampant. I stood up and said that I was there to lecture on exactly that subject.

I will explain why Aspartame is so dangerous: When the temperature of this
    sweetener exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in ASPARTAME converts to Formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants.) The methanol toxicity mimics among other conditions multiple sclerosis. People were being diagnosed with having multiple sclerosis in error. The multiple
    sclerosis is not a death sentence, where methanol toxicity is!

Systemic lupus has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially with Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. The victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit. He or she continues its use, irritating the lupus to such a degree that it may become life-threatening. We have seen patients with systemic lupus become asymptotic once taken off diet sodas. In the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We've seen many cases where vision returned and hearing improved markedly. This also applies to cases of tinnitus.

During a lecture I said "If you are using ASPARTAME (NutraSweet, Equal,
    Spoonful, etc.) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss-you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!" People were jumping up during the lecture saying, I've got some of these symptoms: Is it reversible?" Yes, Not drinking diet sodas and keeping an eye out for aspartame on food labels, yes!

We have a very serious problem. A stranger came up to Dr. Espisto (one of my speakers) and me and said: "Could you tell me why so many people seem to be coming down with MS?" During a visit to a hospice, a nurse said that six of her friends, who were heavy Diet Coke addicts, had all been diagnosed with MS. This is beyond coincidence! Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, etc. IS NOT A DIET PRODUCT!

The Congressional Record states that it makes you crave carbohydrates and
    will make you FAT. The formaldehyde stores in the fat cells, particularly no
    significant increase in exercise, etc., Dr. Roberts in his lecture stated that he had patient who lost an average of 19 pounds over a trial period.

Aspartame is especially dangerous for diabetics. We found that physicians
    would believe that they have a patient with retinopathy, when in fact the
    symptoms are caused by aspartame. The aspartame drives the blood sugar out of control. Thus diabetics may suffer acute memory loss due to the fact that aspartic acid and phenylalanine are neurotoxic without the other amino acids found in protein. Thus it passes the blood brain barrier and deteriorates the neurons of the brain, causing in diabetics (as well as in patients not suffering from diabetes) various kinds of brain damage, seizures, depression, manic depression, panic attacks, rage, violence (The Aspartame in thousands of pallets of diet Coke and diet Pepsi consumed by men and women fighting in the Gulf War, may be partially to blame for the well-known Gulf War Syndrome.

Dr. Roberts warns that it can cause birth defects i.e. mental retardation if
    taken at the time of conception and early pregnancy. Children are especially at risk for neurological disorders and should NOT be given NutraSweet. I can relate different case histories of children having mal seizures and other
    disturbances being on NutraSweet.

Unfortunately it is not always easy to convince a mother that aspartame is
    to blame for her child's illness. Only by trial and success will she be able to warn other mothers to take their children's health in their own hands.

Stevia, a sweet herb, NOT A MANUFACTURED ADDITIVE, which helps in the metabolism of sugar (which would be ideal for diabetics) has now been approved as a dietary supplement by the FDA. For years the FDA has outlawed this sweet food because of their loyalty to MONSANTO.

I assure you, MONSANTO, the creator of Aspartame knows how deadly it is They fund among others, the American Diabetes Association, the American Dietetic Association, the Conference of the American College of Physicians This has been exposed in the New York Times - to no avail. These Associations cannot Criticize any additives or convey their link to MONSANTO beca use they take money from the food industry and have to endorse their products. Senator Howard Hetzenbaum wrote a bill that would have warned all infants, pregnant mothers and children of the dangers of aspartame. The bill would have also instituted independent studies on the problems existing in the population (seizures, changes in brain chemistry, changes neurological and behavioral; symptoms). It was killed by the powerful drug and chemical lobbies, letting loose the hounds of disease and death on an unsuspecting public

Aspartame

In 1993, a double blind, NIH study was done on aspartame and its effect on people diagnosed with depression (like me.) The study was published and can be found on PubMed.

Long story short - this was the only study done on depression & aspartame. Out of 40 subjects who received aspartame, 13 had such bad reactions that the IRB (who oversees human subjects) shut the study down.

This was a peer reviewed, double blind NIH sponsored study not somebody's hysterics on the internet. And it was the only one.

Now, this is just observation, but anybody else notice how SSRI's such as Prozac have grown in popularity along with apartame use? Any beginning scientist will tell you that this doesn't prove anything - but I find it interesting.

I also know that Monsanto (who brings you aspartame) are big contributors to our legislators. Just check into why stevia (a natural, plant derived, non-caloric sweetener used all over the world) is not approved for use in the U.S.

<rant off>
    Last edited by Dogmama; 07-15-2005 at 01:08 PM.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

*in a cynical tone of voice*

Ah ... MONSANTO... my favourite company...

This is the company who also brought us hormone sprays that kill only weeds... and leave the plant you want to grow, growing...

So now we can spray hormone sprays across a whole field of maize or corn and all the weeds will die and the spray just gets absorbed "harmlessly" into the plants we will eat (or the animals we eat will eat)

Yup... fantastic company

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

www.gatorade.com/endurance

This is a new Gatorade Endurance Formula, which is higher in sodium (200 mg vs 110mg) and potassium (90mg vs 30mg) but has the same amount of carbs (14g). Of course, you're paying for it, too - it costs about 50% more than regular Gatorade. But it is out there.

That is definately good to know. Regular gatorade is just not enough for endurance!

I still swear by pedialyte - it does come in flavors if you just cant tolerate the regular kind, and the store brands are the same thing and much cheaper.
    The space and time for what you WANT is being occupied by what you have settled for

"You say bark I say bite / You say shark I say hey man / Jaws was never my scene / And I don't like Star Wars"

BikeDFW - Dallas and Fort Worth Area Cycling Advocacy Organization

great discussion

Great discussion. I did a charity ride last weekend (112 mi day 1/80 mi day 2). It was pretty warm and sunny on day 1 and I started suffering about mile 70. This has been a typical problem for me on long hot rides over the past several years (I've done a couple of 200k brevets). I thought I had found a better solution (I used to carry two bottles of Gatorade, then switched to one water, one Gatorade which did work better) but with the suffering this year need to search out another solution. I've written down the suggestions and will try them out before my fall century ride.

Maureen

I can't say anything about the validity of that article, but I know what works for me, and a combination of water and Gatorade definitely does it. I carry water in my camelbak and Gatorade in my waterbottles. In my experience, on long rides I need both the Gatorade and food - just drinking Gatorade all day long does not provide the nutrients that I need. But just water and food doesn't work for me on long rides either...

On my cross-country ride back in 2002, on long (70 mile range) hot days I was going through at least 72 ounces of water plus 6 to 8 water bottles of Gatorade plus food. And that doesn't include the liquid & food from breakfast and dinner... I made it through the hot days of summer without getting dehydrated. There were occassional days where I had energy problems but (in hindsight) they were due to not taking enough rest days; biking all day (almost) every day for weeks on end, my body somtimes complained.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 08-12-2005 at 04:35 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Long Rides

"In my experience, on long rides I need both the Gatorade and food - just drinking Gatorade all day long does not provide the nutrients that I need. But just water and food doesn't work for me on long rides either..."

" on long (70 mile range) hot days I was going through at least 72 ounces of water plus 6 to 8 water bottles of Gatorade plus food."

I do eat food in addition to water/gatorade. On my training rides I carry powerbars. On the supported rides I still carry power bars but also eat pb&j sandwiches and bananas that are usually offered.

I was surprised by the amount of gatorade you drink on long hot days. I'm not drinking anywhere near that for either the gatorade or water. Probably why I'm suffering?

Maureen

Quote Originally Posted by mainerider
    I was surprised by the amount of gatorade you drink on long hot days. I'm not drinking anywhere near that for either the gatorade or water. Probably why I'm suffering?

Maureen
    It's possible. I had weeks on that trip - pretty much from western New York, through the mid-west, Missouri, Kansas, and into Colorado where the temperatures seems to hit 100+ in the sun every day. And in addition to riding myself, I was traveling solo and hauling a trailer. That certainly increases the exertion - but I think I would have been drinking that much even if I'd been traveling unencumbered by my gear (as in just doing normal day rides), to combat the heat and to support my activity level.

For what it's worth, here's a link to a press release from the American College of Sports Medicine on Preventing Hyponatremia and Dehydration: http://www.acsm.org/publications/new...ehydration.htm.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 08-12-2005 at 05:29 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)