Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm in DC. I recommend going to a bike shop (not REI, but a bike only shop) in the area (there are tons!) and asking all the basic questions. They can help steer you in the right direction towards a bike type that fits your needs. You can test ride different bikes. You can just go in for information-gathering about bikes and equipment and to learn your general bike size. Then you can figure out where you're going to buy the bike and if it'll be new or used. Because you are so new to getting back into riding bikes, you should probably go with new with the help of a shop. It will typically include some free maintenance if not some basics like cheap deals on water bottle cages etc. They can also be responsible for getting you fitted properly. Those services will add up in price if you go to a private buyer, plus you may have a harder time picking a bike that's the right size and right type for your comfort and the kind of riding you want to do. If you move away, you could probably sell it or just ship it back with you!

Proteus Bikes in College Park is the best shop I know of for a beginner to find a bike because the owner, Jill, really wants to get each person on the bike that's best for them. She actually listens!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Proteus Bikes in College Park is the best shop I know of for a beginner to find a bike because the owner, Jill, really wants to get each person on the bike that's best for them. She actually listens!
    I was going to recommend Proteus, too. I think it's the best shop around, particularly for beginners. Jill will match you to an appropriate bike that fits you, your riding style, and your budget.

Zen sent you an email!
    You can make your life what you want it to be through belief in God and in yourself.

ZEN sent you an email!
    You can make your life what you want it to be through belief in God and in yourself.