Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

helping adult to re-learn

To disable ads, please log-in.

My neighbor, in her mid-60s, has asked me to help her learn how to ride a bike again. She does not own a bike but says she rode as a child - heavy bike with coaster brakes. She rented a bike a few years ago to try but says it was very heavy and that "she had trouble with it." I assume she rented a beach cruiser type (she wanted coaster brakes) that didn't fit and as you could imagine, it was hard to pedal, steer, and control.

So I'm trying to find a smaller hybrid that she might borrow for the purpose of seeing if she likes it. My thinking that it would still be lighter than the beach cruiser, but it does have the added complications of hand brakes, and gears.

This woman is not atheletic, but does walk a couple miles each day with her dog. I told her that while she was "learning" she would probably fall and that everyone does. She is afraid of hurting her back which apparently gives her some discomfort. I don't know the nature of the back pain.

So clearly she needs a lightweight, upright bike. Is it too much to learn hand brakes and gears after not riding at all for probably 50 years? I am reluctant to push her into this level. I can see her riding around the neighborhood, to the pool, perhaps to the beach (1 very congested mile). But even if she turns out to like cycling, I don't think she would ever be a roadie, or doing rides over 5 miles long.

Is it really "just like riding a bike?" Will this ability come back to her? and should I be concerned about liability in the event she falls and is hurt?

Well, you could start by putting the bike in a mid-range gear and just focus on her getting used to riding and using the brakes. Start off on a field rather than pavement.

Once she's comfortable you could work on shifting.

She should check with her doctor first to make sure there are no health issues.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    This woman is not atheletic, but does walk a couple miles each day with her dog. I told her that while she was "learning" she would probably fall and that everyone does. She is afraid of hurting her back which apparently gives her some discomfort. I don't know the nature of the back pain.

So clearly she needs a lightweight, upright bike. Is it too much to learn hand brakes and gears after not riding at all for probably 50 years? I am reluctant to push her into this level. I can see her riding around the neighborhood, to the pool, perhaps to the beach (1 very congested mile). But even if she turns out to like cycling, I don't think she would ever be a roadie, or doing rides over 5 miles long.

Is it really "just like riding a bike?" Will this ability come back to her? and should I be concerned about liability in the event she falls and is hurt?
    Already you said she rides around the neighbourhood, etc. --small mileage. Already she can balance on a bike and go. There are many adults who cannot balance on a bike at all.

She does not appear athletic to you, however it is interesting she has approached you (or at least someone who demonstrates experienced cycling a 'higher level').

While you help her hunt down a hybrid bike to borrow, to find out from her why she would like to cycle 'better'. Is it strictly for techniques to help her enjoy enjoy cycling, etc.? (she already knows how to cycle in a basic way) Ask her if she wants to go abit farther to do certain errands, explore places.

In terms of learning gear shifting...have her shift and ride comfortably first on flats in parking lot or in a park with paths, within 1-3 different gear changes. And help her understand that she should change gears as often as she needs even if she is going for only 5-20 miles...to make herself more comfortable and efficient as a cyclist. If she experiences back pain, all more the reason she doesn't overly push on her gears. Then later, you might need to ride with her to deal with gear shifting on small hills, etc.

Show her several designated bike routes and any local bike maps. You would amazed how much people appreciate this.

Showing her a few basics on better /safer cycling on road with bike, would be helpful also.

She sounds like she just wants some better fun, more independence and maybe more exploring which might translate into further distances.

Note: Suggest that she see her doctor /physiotherapist to recommend exercises/anything else for her back pain. Like many people in cycling, if you don't do safe stretching exercises for back, all over body flexiblity, etc., one will be plagued with back pain.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Trek Lime?
    Kinda spendy though, for that type bike.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Clarification - when I said I could see her riding around the neighborhood, that was pure supposition. She does NOT ride, has not in around 50 years save for 1 week rental period several years ago, that apparently did not go so well.

I think I've found a bike that would fit her - but have not seen it yet. The woman that owns it hasn't ridden it in years so it may not be any better than whatever she rented. But I can go and get it next week and will probably have to clean it up a bit before my neighbor can try it.

The ideas are good - keep them coming!

Thanks
    Martha

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    A lighter bike with some gearing is helpful. I most definitely with recommend it with someone who is not fit and is prone to back pain at times. You don't want her pushing unnecessarily hard on that bike.

She can always relearn by cycling in same gear for awhile on flat areas before graduating to gear shifting.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

If she's worried about falling, maybe some extra safety gear like elbow pads etc would help her confidence.

If she hasn't ridden in years, I think I'd focus on balance first. Lower the seat so that her feet touch the ground, and take the pedals off the crankarms. Ignore gears for now, and keep braking instruction minimal, just enough for control (rear only?). Have her practice "scooting" with her feet and towards lifting them off the ground to coast for longer and longer distances, all while balancing the bike. Once she's got the balance and steering parts nailed down, then re-install the pedals and work on pedaling and braking. Shifting can come much later, and the seat can eventually be raised.

Good luck, withm and neighbor! You'll do great!

(Sorry this sounds so abrupt- running out the door!)

I had not been on a bike since childhood when at 56 years old I decided I wanted to ride a bike. I started out with a K2 from REI - a big, heavy, clunky bike and rode it on paved trails around my house. I fell down at least once on every ride. I've blocked out everything about that bike - can't even remember what type of gearing it had. After about 3 months of that crap, I bought a Giant hybrid that I rode for about 9 months and didn't fall once in all that time. I couldn't get used to toe clips, so I just had platform pedals. It had a triple, so I had to learn the gears and shifting. Still, I stayed on the trails. After that I got my road bike, which I've been riding for a year.

So, yes, adults can relearn how to ride a bike! :-) But you really have to want it and maybe be lucky enough to know someone who rides that can guide you through getting started.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

we had a gal here for a while (on TE, I mean) that taught oldsters to ride bikes.
    What someone else said is correct, lower the seat of a bike. there are lots of entry level bikes around, you didn't mention how tall she is - that can be an issue too, finding a bike that fits almost HALF of women (as the average height of women is 64"! )
    and so far as falling, the balance idea is also good because bones thin as women age, and falling is not a good idea. (and it hurts)

Good luck
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi