Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Austin cyclist shot in back by pellet gun

To disable ads, please log-in.

Be careful out there.

http://tinyurl.com/mapxnz

They're looking for two guys in a Prius(!).

(p.s. Twitter is useful: got this from @lancearmstrong who re-tweeted it from @mellowjohnnys.)

Yikes!
    Another story where I shake my head and think who are these people. Do they dislike cyclists so much that they forget that cyclists are other real people with real lives. I think when you put your helmet on and get on your bike your humanness to some disappears and you are a breed apart. This seems to make it ok in some minds to hurt us.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Drive-by shooter= coward

Drive-by+ shoot in the back= super coward

Prius+ scrunch down in the seat= teen-aged azz clowns driving mummy's car(?)
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Having also been shot by someone with a pellet gun while I was riding my bike....all I can do is shake my head. Some people. Good grief.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    WTH is wrong with some people??? Maybe I should get a gun rack and put it on my rear rack (just like the pick-ups around here) and have a fake gun on the back. Might keep some people from messing with me. OK, I wouldn't really do that, but stories like this make me consider it.
    I'm glad the man didn't get paralyzed from the pellet and that he didn't wipe out since he was traveling downhill so quickly.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I have been hit by a can. A local cyclist was hit by a glass beer bottle but got plates and filed an assualt charge. When I ride I now practice getting at least a partial plate. With a very accurate description and partial plate I can give cops something to work with and believe me if a can hits me again I will have enough information to file harrassment charges.

FWIW- Austin is not bike friendly, I don't know how that rumor started but it is not. Even Lance's first book addresses the hostility he encountered in Texas. I was not surprised to read this, sadly.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I have been hit by a can. A local cyclist was hit by a glass beer bottle but got plates and filed an assualt charge. When I ride I now practice getting at least a partial plate. With a very accurate description and partial plate I can give cops something to work with and believe me if a can hits me again I will have enough information to file harrassment charges.
    Me too, I practice memorizing plates and car descriptions all the time.

I need to get better at getting a quick view of the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Me too, I practice memorizing plates and car descriptions all the time.

I need to get better at getting a quick view of the driver.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one that does this. I've had a variety of items thrown at me over the years. Nothing that has drawn blood, just a bruise or two and being splattered with salsa, from a burrito. I am forever reading license plates, and memorizing car descriptions. bikerHen

There has been a lot of problems lately in Austin with cyclists getting the short end of the stick. I guess as more transplants move here the less overall bike friendly atmosphere it's becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin_m View Post
    There has been a lot of problems lately in Austin with cyclists getting the short end of the stick. I guess as more transplants move here the less overall bike friendly atmosphere it's becoming.
    I think it is just the population explosion overall. Funny thing is you can go out to the hill country and find the friendliest drivers. We rode out there last month and were floored that everyone waved. We were in a little town called Doss, away from the crazy tourist trap of Fredericksburg (they get impatient too).
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan