Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I saw the thing about the Patuxent River. It was a group of 32 or so people doing a sojourn paddle, and the trip leaders had apparently been warned by multiple sources that the river levels were too high.

There's also a new story about 2 men who're thought to have drowned on the Potomac near DC. They and some friends decided to go swimming in the river during a picnic or something. The friends were rescued but two are still missing.

I'll admit I did worry a bit about you down at Mason Neck. I'm sticking to reservoirs &/or the C&O until the levels come down.

When I used to row crew in highschool, we used to do some races on the Potomac along the Georgetown waterfront - the current used to be vicious there, so I've always avoided that part of the potomac for paddling. I can't imagine deciding that it would be a good place to swim.

At Mason neck, I had my friend with a sit on top with me - I was more worried about her. Her boat's kinda slow & fat, so I didn't want to take her somewhere where we had to do a lot of paddling to see something pretty - which the Occoquan reservoir is... At Mason neck, to get up the creek we went to, you pretty much maybe paddle about a half mile up the Potomac which you can do next to the shore, and then turn up into the creek and the creek's literally like 2 feet deep in a lot of spots - so if it's high water & 4 feet deep that didn't seem too threatening. I posted the pics on facebook if you didn't see 'em - just generally a pretty day & calm water. Mason neck's also pretty much instantly gratifying - you don't have to go far and you're almost guaranteed to see bald eagles, herons, & a ton of other wild life.

I do enough seashore paddling in waves & rough water, open water crossings, and just jumping out of my boat & practicing self rescues & rolls that I know I'm at least not going to lose my head if something goes wrong (and whether or not not losing my head is enough to help me, probably depends on the circumstances). And I usually have just in case stuff with me... spare paddle (if not 2), dry bag, bilge pumps, emergency blankets, ropes, throw bags, lights, matches, water & food, knife on pfd for in case I get tangled in lines, etc.... All of which is normally ridiculous overkill on a normal paddling trip, but they just live in my kayak (my biking backpack is similarly ridiculous overkill). However, I avoid rivers like the Potomac or ones with whitewater when they're high.

I made sure to stick close to my friend, and had a throw rope handy and some rope in case I needed to tow her... But that sit on top of hers is probably wide enough that I didn't really have to worry about her flipping.

I might bike over to the Monocacy this evening to see if I think it's safe to paddle on one evening this week, otherwise I'll probably head out to triadelphia reservoir or brighton dam one evening.

Awww . . . you guys are going again this year? I've been MIA from TE all season. Someone was asking about tubing on another board I frequent and this thread came up in the Google. I so would love to join you ladies this year but am 8 months pregnant with my first. Hope you ladies have fun!
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Hurry up and get that kid out. Then you can join us in August
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Hurry up and get that kid out. Then you can join us in August
    LOL She's not due till Labor Day weekend. No pun intended. . . ok, maybe pun intended but she really is due that Saturday.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Quote Originally Posted by F8th637 View Post
    I so would love to join you ladies this year but am 8 months pregnant with my first. Hope you ladies have fun!
    Congratulations!

Have we chosen a day yet?

We were talking about the last weekend of August but hadn't decided between Saturday or Sunday. I'd prefer Saturday.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

At this point I can do either.

If there's gonna be a show here, lets get it on the road.
    I'm just sayin'

If there's gonna be a show here, lets get it on the road.
    I'm just sayin'
    Are you volunteering to organize?

Without having to go back through the whole thread, someone mentioned an outfitter where the tubing ends at the outfitter, without need for a bus back. Which one is this? Sounds like it could be nice.

Last I heard we were planning to do this the last weekend of August. I'd prefer it to be that Saturday.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Are you volunteering to organize?
    I have no credit card.

I have no credit card.
    That's just the last step. You could figure out the trip details (outfitter, trip cost, tubing vs whitewater, etc), figure out the number going, gather the $ from everyone who is going, and someone else (with a credit card) could make the final reservation.

I just know I'm not doing it this time! It was very hard to get the final count nailed down, and I'm not up to it.

I have no credit card.
    I volunteer you to set up a western maryland rail trail ride sometime in the fall when the leaves are changing colors.

no credit card needed for that one.

I volunteer to make the final reservation if someone else is willing to gather the options.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er