Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. Let us know how the woman is charged.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Prayers to the families of those who lost their lives and to the survivor.

This makes me so angry. I agree that this should be murder, not manslaughter. But the article makes it seem like manslaughter is the way they're going. Its all about intent, unfortunately I don't think recklessness counts...Maybe there's an attorney in the house who can clear this up....

Borland was being held in the Tulsa County jail on two complaints of first-degree manslaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by fidlfreek View Post
    This makes me so angry. I agree that this should be murder, not manslaughter. But the article makes it seem like manslaughter is the way they're going. Its all about intent, unfortunately I don't think recklessness counts...Maybe there's an attorney in the house who can clear this up....
    Not an attorney (I'm a cop), but in TEXAS (and many other states) you can be charged with "Intoxication Manslaughter"...which is what this would be. In Texas, it is a second degree felony, regardless of whether it is a first time offender or not. You can, by the way, also be charged with Intoxication Assault (operating a vehicle, boat, aircraft, or amusement park ride while intoxicated and causing serious bodily injury to another while doing it).
    In intoxication crimes, there is no intent needed.
    How terribly sad for these cyclists.

Sorry I haven't come back on sooner. For some reason, I wasn't getting post reply emails on this thread. Ugh...

My fellow cycling community and I are all still very shaken up by this tragedy. For me, I wish alcohol related fatalities could be tried as murder. Manslaughter just implies "accident" and this was no accident. She decided to get loaded and get behind the wheel (again). She can risk her own life by drinking and taking drugs (there is talk she abuses xanax as well - I don't know how true all that is)...but when she gets behind the wheel, she puts innocent lives at risk. NO ONE has the right to remove someone else's safety. Its no accident when you impair yourself and then kill someone while driving. Its a consequence. She might as well have pulled a gun and shot our friends.

Christa's funeral was this morning. Matt's is on Tuesday in Arkansas (where his family lives). I found out that Matt had worked at the company where I do. He was laid off a few months ago due to the Oil and Gas market downturn (along with the rest of the economy). Even more sadness to the story, you know? I proably saw him many times in the lobby but just didn't recognize him without his team kit and helmet on. Christa was a luminous lady...always smiling and lifting others up. I should strive to be more like her..

Sad sad sad. I cannot bring myself to go ride...esp not alone as I usually do. At some point, I need to bolster my emotions and just ride. I just can't bring myself to do it yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChristaMatt.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	9407  
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

P.S. Bourland was allowed to BOND OUT for only 100,000! This was at least her 2nd DUI offense and she's caused two fatalities this time! I don't understand why our legal system runs the way it does. She's a repeat offender and now a (excuse me) murderer. She's free on bail..and Christa n Matt are gone. Not right...

John (the survivor) is recovering best that he can. He did not have to have surgery has was originally told to a lot of us. He had about 62 stiches in his back and was released to go home. He's married and has 2 children.. Neither Matt nor Christa was married or had children, but both had significant others who are now left devastated like John. I know John best of the three, but I haven't wanted to ask him about all this out of respect. People closer to him have said he is completely grief stricken at the loss of his two friends/teammates. He doesn't remember all of what happened. That has to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    If she was that far gone at that time of day she is likely a serious alcoholic and was drinking at home.
    Or while driving around
    There was an open container in her suv... and the officers said she smelled STRONGLY of alcohol right after the crash. She was also disoriented. If you've seen pictures of her vehicle, you'd really question how she couldn't know she'd hit "something". If she really didn't, you KNOW she was seriously impaired.

I just received this from a local riding group list:

Open Letter to the Tulsa World
    Posted by: "atwheelsy" atwheelsy@yahoo.com atwheelsy
    Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:49 pm (PDT)

On Tuesday, three friends were hit while riding their bikes on Hwy 51. Two were killed.

Subsequently, there were several stories in the Tulsa World about that tragic event.

Attached to these stories were comments by some very angry people about how bicyclists, some how, deserve it, or are just asking for it.

I have drafted the attached letter (See: below w/o formatting) to send to the editor.

I would like for those that wish to sign their names with me on this letter to let me know (Okpeloton@yahoo. com) before I submit it to the TW editor.

Please forward to whom ever you think may want to be a part of this.

If you wish to donate to a memorial fund for Matt and Christa, click on
    the link below to go to a Paypal account set up for them. Donations will
    be handed over to the two families to offset costs of bills associated
    with this tragedy.

http://tinyurl. com/nwqcen

You can also go to any local Bank of Oklahoma branch and donate in person
    to the Edmonds & Voss Memorial Fund

Please forward to any other folks as you see fit.

Body of Letter:

On May 29-31, the Tulsa Tough Ride and Race thrilled audiences with grueling bike racing through the heart of our fair city and Herculean rides around surrounding communities. There was even a townie ride for families to take part. The response from audiences, racers and riders was nothing short of ecstatic about the future for bicycles in and around Tulsa.
    So that's why the events of this past Tuesday are so hard to fathom than they would normally be.
    Three people were exercising on Highway 51 in Sand Springs, not only their bodies but their right to ride on the thoroughfares of Oklahoma. They had as much right to be there as anybody else according to Oklahoma Statutes.
    They simply chose to ride a bicycle rather than in an automobile.
    Then someone used their car to kill two of them while injuring the third.
    There have been allegations that alcohol or other substances may have been a contributing factor in this tragedy. Open containers of alcohol were found in the SUV.
    Now we await the blood tests of the driver to determine if further criminal charges are warranted.
    In the multitude of stories written in your paper since that event, there have been a slew of comments in your web edition about the lawlessness of bicycles and that those that choose to ride a bike "have it coming". The comments are sometimes unaware of the most basic precepts of traffic law while others have been seething in anger at bicyclists while ignoring that the only crime alleged has been that of the driver's.
    Lost amongst the vitriolic comments about bicycles were three victims. I chose not to include the driver as a victim as many feel that she committed the worst crime imaginable and furious she has bonded out of jail, free to commit the same heinous act again.
    Christa Voss's funeral was on Saturday in Owasso. We gathered to celebrate her life and try to make sense of the tragic end to such a promising future.
    Matthew Edmond's funeral is Tuesday in Arkansas. We will do the same thing there.
    The survivor has been scarred physically and emotionally for the rest of his life.
    We, as bicyclists, share the same roads as motorists. We share the same responsibilities as well as the same rights enjoyed by those in an automobile.
    What is most troubling, however, is the anger which we deal with almost daily from some motorists. A bicyclist is defenseless as the three victims in this instance were. Should a motorist choose to act on their most base and abhorrent nature, we do not know, most often, until it is too late.
    We share stories about glass bottles being thrown at us, horns blared a few feet from our tire, and obscenities shouted at us all for merely riding a bicycle. There generally is no recourse as the car is traveling too fast or we are too startled to record a license plate.
    It has reached a level that some are too scared for their safety, fearful of leaving their spouse a widow or widower and children orphaned, to ride their bike on public roads. Some bicyclists have gone the other way, looking for guns to slip into their jersey pockets.
    Have we reached the point as a nation where we cannot leave our house because we fear our neighbors? Are motorists really that angry at a bicycle?
    On Tuesday, we lost two bright, young individuals that Oklahoma could use more of, not less.
    We, the undersigned, ask that every motorist please treat us as they would their neighbor, brother, sister, mother, father, daughter, son or friend. And allow us to arrive home to our families and friends safe as you would want for your own family and friends.
    We ask that each and every motorist take a few seconds out of their drive and please exercise caution and care.
    We ask to use the same roads and share the same responsibilities and rights as you do.
    We merely ask for what the founding fathers stated almost 233 years ago and the most basic principle of this great nation:
    We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
    The Edmonds and Voss Memorial Fund has been set up at the Bank of Oklahoma. You can donate at any BOK branch or use PayPal: http://tinyurl. com/nwqcen
    Donations will be handed over to the two families to offset the costs of bills associated with this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBlueNTulsa View Post
    I've been reading way too many of those public forum comments on the news sites. I need to STOP.
    Yes, you do. I hate those comment sections. What was intended as a forum for intelligent public discourse is anything but. It doesn't matter what the subject is, the comments devolve into sheer ignorance and name calling. I wish the papers would just disable them completely.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    BabyBlue, this is just tragic. I am so very sorry for the loss of your friends and I pray that this will embolden cyclists in your region to take a stand for what's rightfully theirs--their safety.

I know you are in shock right now and you are feeling vulnerable. Can you find a quiet location to ride--either on a path or trail?

My thoughts are with you and the victims' families.

I didn't know that Matt and Christa had ties to Arkansas until I arrived at the Arkansas State Road Race this morning to drive lead vehicle. Many of the racers and organizers had ridden with Matt on the Tyson racing team. Others knew Christa from events and racing.

The Arkansas State Road Race began with a silent neutral start, in Matt and Christa's memory. An inscription was placed on the hardest hill so we could remember them once again.

There will be a Ride of Silence on Monday in Fayetteville, AR, in their memory, as well. (6:30 p.m., Holt Middle School).

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I didn't know that Matt and Christa had ties to Arkansas until I arrived at the Arkansas State Road Race this morning to drive lead vehicle. Many of the racers and organizers had ridden with Matt on the Tyson racing team. Others knew Christa from events and racing.

The Arkansas State Road Race began with a silent neutral start, in Matt and Christa's memory. An inscription was placed on the hardest hill so we could remember them once again.

There will be a Ride of Silence on Monday in Fayetteville, AR, in their memory, as well. (6:30 p.m., Holt Middle School).

Karen

Oh gosh, that is really really nice. Both of them were really kind and well-liked.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    This is so tragic. I walked to the nearest BOK on Friday and donated a little to their fund. The teller is a cyclist and knew all about it. He said he lived in Tulsa and had ridden that road many times. He was shocked. That road is much like the highway I ride on (10 ft shoulder, light traffic, heavily traveled by cyclists).
    They were doing nothing wrong and were murdered. So many scars are left on those still here dealing with it.

Our legal system is incredibly frustrating. You kill a cyclist and it's just a slap on the wrist. She had driven drunk before. She should have the book thrown at her and have many years in prison to sober up and contemplate her very bad decision. I feel for her too (don't pounce me). Her incredibly devastating decision that day murdered two people and changed hundreds of lives; that can't be an easy thing to live with for the rest of your life. She'll have to deal with that until her death.
    My only hope is that some good will come of their deaths... whatever that may be.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Today we hosted the Team Lewis & Clark Criterium as a follow up to the Arkansas State Road Race. People were there from Tulsa, and some of our team members who also raced with Christa, Matt and John. I got to hear some wonderful things about Christa. My teammate had spent a week in Colorado with Christa recently. Once again, the three of them were honored and remembered by tributes during the races, including wearing of special jerseys in their honor, and their names inscribed on the course.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

That is really heartwarming. Thank you SO much for sharing. I'm guessing some of the BOT team (her teammates) were there? Matt's funeral is Tuesday over that way.

You know, there is such great love within our sport. Don't you wish more people would ride? The world could learn a lot.