Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Favorite rides in, around, and between Norfolk and Richmond (VA)?

To disable ads, please log-in.

TE'er Claudia (uforgot) mentioned in another thread that she's heading to the Richmond/Norfolk (VA) area soon and is wondering about cycling options. She's driving and bringing her bike with her......I'm a little too far west (Charlottesville) to give her a local's perspective on best routes. Thoughts about favorites and sure-fire winners from those of you who live over thattaway?? ............Thanks!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Well, Richmond and Norfolk are not next-door-neighbors. I'll try to find Claudia's post and answer her directly, but in case I don't find it, here are my observations and questions (in no particular order):

1. Is it Richmond or Norfolk? I can help with Richmond, but not with Norfolk.

2. How far/what speed are you wanting to ride?

3. Do you want to go with a group or alone?

4. For Richmond, you should take a look at the Richmond Area Bicyclists Association website (www.raba.org). They have rides every day of the week, and a cue sheet library.

5. As for specific ride routes, I'll send uforgot a PM, as I'm a little shy of posting riding routes on open websites.

Thanks, tulip! .... uforgot's question is at the end of my thread "Katy Trail....Wow!" under North Central. (I was in St. Louis last week.....)
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

Hey Thanks! It's actually both. My son is coming back into Norfolk, and one of my best friends moved to Richmond, (by VCU) so I'll be in both places. Problem is, I don't know when or how long. You'd think the Navy would let me in on their plans, or at least run them by me!

I really appreciate all of the help! I'd like to find trails or rides in either place. So, probably places I can explore alone for now. I'm more interested in seeing the sights, architercture, history, and taking pictures while I bike rather than speed. I'd like to get my friend out cycling too. I'll take a look at the raba.org site.
    Last edited by uforgot; 06-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Let me know your dates and times and we can go biking to Browns Island and all around downtown Richmond. I can also show you some nice road bike routes out in the country near downtown. Richmond doesn't have many (any?) bike lanes, but there's still some good and picturesque riding in and out of town.

Hi everyone! A few nice rides between Norfolk and Richmond are through Williamsburg and starting in York River State Park.

The Williamsburg Bike Association http://www.wabonline.org/ is an excellent bike club and is very helpful.

If you would like more of a scenic ride, try starting out of York River State Park. There are routes marked on the road in the shape of lollipops.
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker