Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Question Deleting history from Garmin Edge 305

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there.
    I read Veronica's query about deleting records from a Forerunner...but I think my question is a bit different, so I'm posting it.
    I'm using my Garmin Edge 305 now for its 4th summer. I've filled up the memory in the unit now with laps and everytime I hit the lap during a ride (something I do on certain hills or for a warm-up/cool-down segments), I get an error message that the memory is nearly full and older records will be deleted.
    I figure I can (1) deal with the annoying message every ride and let the unit over-write old records, or (2) delete the history of the unit and start with fresh memory.
    If I go to the History field on my unit, and go to "Delete" I can "Keep 1 Month" "Keep 3 months" or "Delete All". Have any of you done this? I'm tempted to keep only 3 months on the unit...figuring they're all downloaded to the p.c. (yes, I use that pos Training Center ) - I'm too lazy to deal with MotionBased or to look for anything else). But is there any reason to keep ANY of them? Maybe just a month? I donwnload the unit to the P.C. after pretty much every ride.
    I imagine even if I clear the records off the unit, they won't be deleted from the p.c. Training Center...is that right?? If the unit is currently overwriting old records, it doesn't appear to have impacted the records on my p.c.
    Thanks.

I use a Garmin 305, too, and I download after every ride. I delete the history on the Edge about once a month so that I never have to worry about having a full memory. Everything is on the computer and if I want to use the "courses" setting, say after I ride a metric somewhere and want to ride it again later, (I am actually doing that next weekend as DH did not get to go and it was a beautiful ride) then I reload the ride into the Garmin and follow the route easily. I rarely use the "workout partner" feature, so do not need the rides in the unit. Once the ride info is on my computer, I back up the data on the computer and never think about it again.

It just makes me feel better if I delete everything, ride-wise, each month or two so that I do not have to worry. My DH recently did a long ride and only deleted after the whole ride was over and the info was uploaded to the computer. If you need to go back to it, then you have it on the PC.

PS I never use motionbased, either...such a pain, and they seem to never be ready with that new thing Garmin Connect! If I really want to look at a certain route, I can always put it on MapMyRide or Bikely.com.

I also export the data from TC, which I also think is a POS, to Cyclistats. That allows me to compare rides, though not laps. Laps can only be compared on TC but I really don't care except for the whole ride and it is much easier to see on Cyclistats. It was worth the $49 I paid for it three years ago and find it fun to see how I was doing on certain routes before and after a month of training, or from year to year, etc. I guess I just like stats!!!

I delete as well. You can always back up the log or Sporttracks on your computer if you're worried about losing data. I didn't download it for a long time and found that it didn't save maps, just the info. So now I make it a point to clear it's memory.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I have all my mine uploaded to GTC and motionbased so I delete it when it's full.

BTW, Garmin Connect is now working fine for my Edge 305 (on my Mac). I am loving it! Maybe you might want to set up a free account there and download them all before you clear your memory?
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    I have all my mine uploaded to GTC and motionbased so I delete it when it's full.

BTW, Garmin Connect is now working fine for my Edge 305 (on my Mac). I am loving it! Maybe you might want to set up a free account there and download them all before you clear your memory?
    Ditto

It took me a while to learn that, because I have very long rides accumulated, MotionBased/Garmin Connect works best for me when I do delete the old rides every week.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I delete ALL my history each time I upload data from my Forerunner 305. I try and upload often (at least once a week), especially if I do any long rides.

It's a bit of a pain as I have to delete running and cycling history separately.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Wow. Great! Good to know, Thanks...
    I'm always so afraid to hit "delete"....it seems so...so.. final.
    I'll check out Garmin Connect more this week. It seems like an alternative to MotionBased.

I download to Sporttracks and GTC (only because it's already on my computer). I delete all history almost every ride or run.

I will never go back to POS Garmin software, run locally or on-line.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ - Runs farther, faster, better and ultimately cheaper than Garmin. The open source business model means the developers listen and talk to you the individual user.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.