Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Seat bag rubbing thighs

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am new to this forum and bikes. I got my first bike 2 months ago and really like it. I have been lurking here and getting tons of information that has really helped me.
    The latest problem is apparently my thighs.
    They are rubbing on the velcro strap that attaches my seat bag to the seat stem. I have already gone through 3 bags and cannot seem to find one that does not rub. I even rubbed a hole in a pair of shorts.
    Any suggestions? Has anyone cut the strap off?

I ruined two pair of shorts with my old bag. I got a medium sized topeak bag that works well. I cut the end of the velcro so there is no overlap. If you can't find happiness with a seat bag, try a bento box. That would sit on the top tube behind the stem.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    How about something that clips to the seatpost--something similar to this?

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/..._medium_Velcro

I have a Topeak medium sized aero wedge bag. Works great. Holds more than average "stuff". Plus more if you expand it. Legs just clear it.

Here is the key to not having the bag rug, imho...

secure it very tight!

I mean, velcro wrapped tight as can be around the post, cinchs pulled tight... plus "smoosh" the bag on the sides a bit. This will make the contents shift more out towards the back behind the sadde... vs the sides to rub your leg.

I have looked at many cute, fun, and diff brands of bags. In the end, nothing beats the Topeak bag. The thing is freakin bomb proof! And, does not cause the problem of rubbing that I've found.

Good Luck!

EDIT ADD ON:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...jacket+storage
    This is a link to an old thread of mine on here. Scroll down and look at the latest pic of my Topeak bag with a jacket attached off the back of it. Most importantly to your question... look at the down view pic... you can see there is nothing sticking out to bump the downward portion of my pedal-stroke. My saddle is a Terry butterfly--tri-gel version to give you an idea of width. FWIW.
    Last edited by Miranda; 06-07-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Two Options...

I have two different seat bags on two different bikes and both work well for me without rubbing velcro. The first I bought from TE because it was cute and matched the nature of the bike. It does come in colours other than pink fur! But the velcro on it grips all the way down the sides and underneath before it attaches, and there is no velcro around the seatpost at all so there is nothing to rub. It is also a fairly narrow bag. Just love it.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodKR_LGBENNY_0.html

The other one is for my MTB that I need to carry more stuff on and it is a Topeak one with tools that attaches to a clip you put on your seat rails. So there is no velcro on the sides of the bag. There is some velcro around the seatpost though - not sure which velcro is rubbing you - but it is built into a fabric strap and I've never had a problem with it.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/...lToolWedgePack

They also make these, which I haven't tried, that have the clip to attach them under the seat but have no velcro around the seat post at all.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/ProPack_m

Kind of small - so you wouldn't be fitting your cut lunch in there along with your tools!
    Last edited by pinkbikes; 06-07-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Ok, that'd be three options now!

Thanks for everyones help. I think I will stick with my Topeak small Areo Wedge Pack and see if I can adjust the velcro.
    Thanks for all the suggestions,
    Kiersten

If you have trouble after trying a fix, check out the Detour Guppy. Some have velcro, but others have a rubber hook system. The sales guy at LBS recommended it after shredding an expensive pair of bib shorts on velcro attachment. I've never had the problem but like the attachment.

Cut the piece of velcro with the hooks so that it's short enough to be away from your legs, but just long enough to hold the bag in place. The straps that hook to the rails do most of the work holding the bag on, so you don't need much velcro on the seatpost part. It'll keep the edge from snagging on your shorts so much.

If you have the problem on both sides, then look for a different attachment system.

I just covered my strap... took an old piece of lycra, sewed it into a tube and slipped it over the strap. With the velcro hooks covered there is no problem.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

duct tape... (available in black)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks for all the useful information. I especially like the duct tape. I think it comes in pink too.