Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Smile

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog
    Doing anything in EXCESS can weaken your system: if you use all your energy to get better at one thing (usually: going faster) you may not have much left to fight simple infections, for example. There are a couple of threads about overtraining and/or sickness you could read from this discussion board, too. Just make sure you listen to your body and only increase your training hours/efforts gradually (10% per week is generally recommended). From what you tell us - 4 times a week, 15-20 miles - I don't think it will be an issue for you... but cycling can become addictive!!! so who knows?

Keep riding and don't worry, I'm sure you'll have tons of fun!
    I'd have more fun if I had someone to ride with. My girlfriend that I was riding with (who put my bike together for me ), is in Alaska right now with American Job Cor, building trails, so she won't be back til the middle of October. Until then, it's going to be really lonely, and is really lonely. She was a real motivator for me; brought out my competitive side. But since I don't have anyone to ride with (or even know anyone to go with daily), my motivation is only for a better body and to keep the innerds workin' like they should. But I can deffinitely agree with you; cycling is a little bit too addicting! *lol* I know watching some of the Olympic bike races (well, triathalons) was always so inspiring to me as I thought "Wow, they just seem to go for miles and not get tired....and look at those legs and butt!!! I wish mine looked that good...maybe some day...~sigh~". I never knew that one day, I'd actually be feeling like I could go for miles and have a fairly decent looking bottom half. It's kinda cool! ^^ But I doubt I'll ever be good enough to be in a race or some Olympic triatholon, that's for sure; I'm just not that gifted with that much endurance.

I did catch the thread of overtraining/illnesses that was on here as I've been surfing over this forum for a couple days now since I joined. The overtraining/illness thread was informational and made perfect sense...I do have a habbit of over exerting myself but when it comes to riding, I can't really push it too hard as it's too invaluable for me to screw things up so I cant ride. If I can't ride, I'll get sick! Or if I ride too hard, I'll be off because of my knee(s) so I have to be careful. I'm really quite in tune with my body so anytime something's wrong I can usually pin-point it and take care of the problem, so that helps....But I know I still have to be careful. Thanks alot for your advice!!! All you ladies on here are so nice and seem to be just awesome folk! ^^

I look forward to learning alot from everyone! Thanks! ~hugs to you~ ^^

~Liz
    Riding a bike takes an amount of certain skill....but riding a bike and not falling off takes true talent.

~chick on a bike

Talking

I started to ride because of my boyfriend. I knew nothing about cycling before him. My ex actually made me watch some of the tour last year and I was like.. yawn.. (OUCH I KNOW!) But I went to my currents boyfriend's races and became obsessed with it. I wanted more knowledge. This year when the tour came on I decided to watch it again and I was totally amazed at the difference in my attitude. When you understand what's going on, it's much more fun to watch. Now we'll be racing side by side next year and I'll be in awesome shape. I am amazed at how fast my legs are toned from riding an hour a day. At 5am I am up and riding and off I go with a smile on my face. Cycling rocks!
    "Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, CYCLE."

I ride because it makes me happy.

I ride because exercise is about the only thing that helps me sleep properly.

I ride because, on a nice day, why would I spend my time indoors when I could be outside?