Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding after Lasik?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm considering LASIK, but I'm trying to plan it around work and several long group rides. I'm an excellent candidate (I know they're honest-DH went first and he wasn't) and eligible for the top-tier waveless which is supposed to be the quickest recovery time. Anyone out there who can share their experiences or advice? We've got several nationally-ranked Dr.'s here. I know everyone is different, but trying to plan ahead anyway.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

You will love it!

I had it done eight years ago and it was money well spent. I had really bad eyesight and am still 20/20. The procedure is a breeze, and the recovery was quick. A series of drops for a few days and these goggles to sleep in. Talk to the doc but sunglasses and probably most importantly keeping sweat and dirt, wind out of your eyes, it shouldn't take long. I am sure the new procedure is quicker than what I had, the only adjustment was starbursting with bright lights at night. That went away. Good luck.

I too was told I was a great candidate for LASIK, and the day I went in for the procedure, they discovered they couldn't fit the eyelid retractor things in my eyes (my head is really small), so my only option was PRK. I had it done. I'm glad I did, but it was TOUGH recovery. I understand PRK is very different from LASIK. Would I do it again? Yes. Would I hope for a more clear representation of what I was in for? YES! It sure is nice to have good vision now. I will say I will NOT ever have a touch up done if they have to do PRK. Does this answer your question? ... probably not. Other than saying, it's worth it, we are all individuals and recovery times vary. Sometimes being a great candidate doesn't ensure you will be able to get LASIK, but there are other options available. It's scary, but I think you should go for it!

My DH just had the laser wave-technology done two weeks ago. In less than a week, they told him he was healed, to stop with the medicated drops and that he could skip the sleeping goggles.

He asked about cycling right away (both doctors at this clinic were also cyclists) and they said he'd be fine after 24 hours if he wore good sunglasses. He did and he was fine. Surgery on Friday, first 40 mile ride on Sunday (mowed lawn on Saturday).

All smooth sailing!

Edited to add: I got to watch the surgery and it was amazing!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

This new procedure sounds wonderful! I had LASIK in 2002 (I think). It's the best decision I ever made. I do have a little problem with reflective surfaces at night (especially in the rain), but not too bad. DH had the same thing a couple of years later, and has a little more trouble, but I think it's more because of his age-related near-sightedness, which it doesn't correct for.

The people I've talked to who had it done at the cheaper places closer to home had much more difficulty with the recovery. My eye Dr. recommended a guy in Madison, WI, so that was where I went. I think some things are worth paying more for - eyesight is one of them.

It sounds like the recovery time is even better than when I had it, and I didn't have any problems.

My eyes were BAD (started wearing glasses in the 1st grade, contacts in the 6th), and now it's as if nothing was ever wrong. No more HEAVY glasses bouncing on my nose when I run, or siding down my nose when I sweat, no more excruciating pain when dust gets in my eyes with my contacts, no more groping around blindly at the pool, etc.

Good luck!

I had PRK. Let me know if you want my experience.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I had Lasik about a little over a year ago and was riding my bike within 3 or 4 days. I did use a lot of drops to keep them cleaned out and wrap sunglasses. But there was no pain or problems.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

I have a moderately related question: I wear hard contact lenses (gas perms) and I can't ride in them because they get terribly red and itchy. I wear Native Ignitions with them and I can't imagine how bad it would feel with them. Unfortunately, I'm not yet a candidate for Lasiks because my vision is still changing (but I have really bad vision and astigmatism so I don't know if I will ever be). Is there anything I can do to get over the redness and itchiness with the contacts? different sunglasses? different eyedrops?
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

I had LASIK surgery 3 years ago, and did NOT have good results. I used to wear bifocals, but could read without my glasses quite comfortably. Now I wear tri-focals, and have terrible middle distance and close up vision. The long distance correction lasted less than a year. I went through constant vision changes for the first few months.

Not to scare you, but please do your research first. It is not all it is cracked up to be, and I think it is a huge gamble. I went to a top LASIK surgeon and spent $5,000 for the "best', and it was a total waste. There is also a website called mylasikdisaster.com (among others) which you might want to check out.

Madscot13: I always had the same problem. I didn't have my current sunglasses then, but now I have both the Ignitions and the Native Ripp RS, and the Ripp RS give me much better coverage. So I can't say if they'd solve the problem, but personally I think they'd be better (at least, the way they fit my face). They don't make them anymore, but Campmor has closeouts for $50. I love mine - I got a second, identical pair last summer, for the day when these get dropped once too often.

Believe me - I feel your pain! The memories of the paralyzing, excruciating pain whenever I got a little grit in my eyes still makes me cringe. I waited about 30 years for my surgery - it was worth the wait. Like you, I had terrible vision, including the astigmatism. For a few years I just got sick of contacts & went back to my backup glasses, and wore soft lenses for running and biking, and gave up on having very good vision while doing it. I think they do have soft lenses for astigmatism now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    Madscot13: I always had the same problem. I didn't have my current sunglasses then, but now I have both the Ignitions and the Native Ripp RS, and the Ripp RS give me much better coverage. So I can't say if they'd solve the problem, but personally I think they'd be better (at least, the way they fit my face). They don't make them anymore, but Campmor has closeouts for $50. I love mine - I got a second, identical pair last summer, for the day when these get dropped once too often.
    I had a pair or Ripp RSes but for some reason one side fit my face better than the other side. I don't know what happened in the manufacturing but one side was bent in so that it touched my cheek bones. I ended up returning them for the Ignitions.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Thanks everyone! I postponed until summer because of the shorter days in the winter and night vision--now I have to worry about being off my bike. I'll report back.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Mr Sundial had his done 2 years ago and he loved it! He had the surgery on Friday and was good to go by Monday. The first 24 hours were spent putting in eye drops every 15 minutes or so, unless he slept. He had to wear goggles to protect his eyes the first night but after that I think he was fine. He had minimal pain and was more groggy than anything from the Rx and anesthesia. And the best thing was he could choose any cool sunglasses without the prescription lens. I say go for it!

Good excuse to go sunglass shopping! I wear Serengeti's for work. I have some cheap wrap-arounds for cycling. I think I'll upgrade

I had lasik 1 year ago. I rode 3 days after the surgery. Just wore the dark sunglasses they gave me and brought along lots of eye drops. I rode 80 miles at an organized ride just over a week after the surgery and had no problems. I just set my phone on an alarm to remind me to stop to complete my eye drop regimant. I have never regretted it.

Good luck. Its definitely a decision you need to be sure. of