Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help me come up with a ballpark idea of roadbike frame size for me

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would love to get a road bike but can not afford new at all right now. I've been checking out craigslist but I have no idea what frame size to look for. I know it will vary by manufacturer but I would like to get a ballpark idea of what sizes would be worth the time to call on and possibly try.

I am 5'5 1/2 and have a 30" inseam. The bike I am riding now is a Giant FCR 3W and the frame size is small.

what works for one may not work for another... body proportions, fitness & flexibility, riding style, position preference and differences in frame geometry all come into play...

but... I am similar in size to you (5'6" and 31.5" inseam) and I can make frames between 49ish and 52ish work with fairly standard length and rise stems. My current road bike is a Scott CR1 Pro size XS. It's 49cm, and I'm running a 120mm, -6deg rise stem. I have two spacers under the bars right now, so I have the option to drop the bars a little, which I'm considering doing, but overall the fit is good. My bf's bike is a 52 with a 100mm stem and a bit less drop and I'm comfortable on that too, and my commuting/all around bike is a Bianchi Axis 52cm with a 90mm stem with significantly more rise than the other two bikes, and it's super duper comfortable -- I could spend all day on it.

Some people my size ride bigger bikes though, I think.

Use the geometry of your old bike as a baseline (assuming you are happy with fit there).

The geometry of the 08 version is here: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...llections_id=3

Drop bars make the reach a little longer than most flat bars, so you may wan to go slightly shorter on the top tube.

Your best bet is to use the above geometry ("size" and effective top tube length mainly) to weed out bikes and then shop locally so you can still go try them out and confirm fit.

Also, lots of shops have a nifty laser fitting booth that calculates a frame range for you after the salesperson takes a few data points.

You're a common enough size that they should have a fair amount in stock that will fit you -- your best strategy may be to just start visiting some shops and testing some bikes.

Edit: Oh, I just reread your post and realized you are looking at Ebay/Craigslist... Hmmm... it still might not be a terrible idea to go to a shop and talk to them a bit.

I'd guess due to your relatively shorter legs that a 49/50cm frame in standard geometry might work. Possibly a 52.

I'm 5'7" with a 32.5" or so inseam. I ride a 54cm road bike with a 54.8cm top tube length a 110mm stem (that's pretty much level to the ground--not sure about angle)

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Edit: Oh, I just reread your post and realized you are looking at Ebay/Craigslist... Hmmm... it still might not be a terrible idea to go to a shop and talk to them a bit.
    It's not a terrible idea, it's a great idea!

Many shops carry used bikes, my LBS will re-sell bikes for select clients on consignment (he has a sweet custom painted Rodriguez unless it's been snapped up), they sell customer returns and exchanges, last years model (does it really matter if it was last year? let's snap those up!) they will sell from a rental fleet if they rent etc.

Is there a Bikeswap in your area? Check that for great deals often again from ..... drumroll .... your LBS.

In this economy we need to support our LBS. There are some great deals out there and you get all the service of the shop.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    LoriO, you will probably fit a medium, size 53-54.

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    I would love to get a road bike but can not afford new at all right now. I've been checking out craigslist but I have no idea what frame size to look for. I know it will vary by manufacturer but I would like to get a ballpark idea of what sizes would be worth the time to call on and possibly try.

I am 5'5 1/2 and have a 30" inseam. The bike I am riding now is a Giant FCR 3W and the frame size is small.
    I am 5'5 (a shade under but who is counting...31.5 inch inseam, short torso. I ride a 51.
    And, I am considering selling my Specialized Ruby Expert. It is only a year old, has been in one accident where it was laid on its side, but my LBS went over it with a fine toothed comb and found nothing except a few adjustments that needed to be made. I have ridden it many miles since with no problem, and there are no marks on it (yes, I took the brunt of the fall).
    I am not very excited about selling it, but I would to a good home to help me build the Colnago.

Ballpark = 50cm

Bear in mind that bikes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and what is comfortable varies from person to person.

My road and 'cross bikes are both 49cm. I'm 5'4.5" with a 31" inseam and longish arms.

Thanks everyone! I know the size will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but at least I have a general idea of what sizes to look at and try. I would hate to respond to an ad and then find out the bike will be way to big and waste the sellers time.

I thought about going to a LBS but I really feel weird about wasting their time especially knowing I am not going to be buying anything from them!

I thought about going to a LBS but I really feel weird about wasting their time especially knowing I am not going to be buying anything from them!
    Ok - so that is the nice and altruistic but very short term way of looking at it!

But there is also the longer term view. You are going to need to get your bike serviced somewhere. You will, from time to time need to buy bits and pieces for your bike, like new tyres, tubes, maybe some lube, and possibly some tools. You may also need to buy yourself the odd bit of paraphernalia for you that need to try one, like maybe a new helmet...

You need to look around and decide at which LBS you are going to spend your money when you need these things. And part of that is seeing how they treat you when you go looking for something.

I'm sure that when people go looking for bikes (I know I do this) they look at several bike shops if they can and see what is out there and why it might suit them and what sort of service they will get if they buy their bike there. Not everybody a particular store helps look will ultimately buy their bike there. Possibly they are more suited to a bike somewhere else. But if they got good service at the first shop they may well gravitate back there for the rest of their business.

So if you get good help from a LBS when you are kicking tyres like now, you may well go back there for everything else, become a very loyal LBS customer, and ultimately buy a new bike from them in the future. Good customer service is rarely a complete waste!

Lori - we have the same dimensions. I find my fit range is 47-51 cm for a road bike. Depends on the bike. My maximum TT length is 50cm, otherwise, I'm too far stretched out for comfort.

Definitely hit the LBS

The sizing charts you find online are really just guidelines - nothing can substitute for trying out the real thing, and the easiest way to do this is to visit your LBS and try them out. I'm 5'3" and have a 28-inch inseam, which I've discovered is closer to a man's proportions than a woman's (I have a longer torso and shorter legs). When I recently decided it was time to buy a road bike (I have been riding a Trek FX7.2), I thought I needed/wanted a WSD frame. Then, I actually tried out a few and found out quickly that although the standover worked, the top tube was way too short for me. I was also trying to find something on Craigslist/eBay but finally realized that I needed to be professionally fit. Ended up yesterday with a beautiful 49-inch 2008 LeMond Alpe d'Huez (Trek has discontinued the LeMond line so I saved 1/3 and it's way more bike than I ever expected to get.) I test rode a few other models, and all I can say is when you get on the right bike you will know it.

As for wasting the time of the folks at the LBS, you certainly are not wasting their time. A good bike is an investment and you need to make sure you have evaluated the possibilities! Eventually you will need your bike serviced no matter where you buy it, and "window shopping" will give you a good idea of how it will be to deal with various stores and their personnel.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

I'm 5'5.5'' with a 31.5 inch inseam and I ride a 49 cm Trek Pilot 5.0. Fits me perfectly with the seatpost adjusted right and the right size stem.

I agree with the 50 cm ballpark figure. You can always adjust the other measurements.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers