Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Intense Toe Pain

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been cycling for 10 years and in the past 2 years, I've had major toe pains in both of my big toes. My toes feel numb, but to the point of hurting. It's mainly the top portion of my toes, close to the nail. The pain starts within two-three miles of a road ride and doesn't let up until my shoes are off. I've used a special insert in my shoes and I've tried without, it doesn't matter, my toes still hurt.

I have a pair of Sidi's, that I've worn with no problems up until 2 years ago. One small bit of info is that I did have 4 ingrown toenails removed from both of those toes about 4 years ago.

I have no problem with my mountain bike shoes, which are also Sidi's. I'm wondering if it's how my pedals/cleats are set up on my road bike, that I'm putting too much pressure on my toes or if I should go back to the doctor.

Any suggestions?

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I think feet tend to get more swelling or 'spread out' a bit as we get older.

Get new shoes, and be sure they aren't too tight!
    You could really damage the nerves and bones in your feet if you keep riding with pain and numbness.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was having toe pain the other day on one foot because I was wearing a thicker pair of socks than usual (too lazy to find thin cycling ones).

After a couple miles, I pulled over, took the sock off, and my toes were happy as could be after that.

Thanks for the responses.

Well my shoes are not too small, in fact I bought them a size too big, b/c at the time I knew my feet would swell. I've tried really thin and thick socks and it doesn't matter, toes still hurt. I've tried concentrating and putting all the pressure on my heels, it seems to work for a bit, but then the pain comes back.

The velcro on my shoes are so loose, my shoes could probably slip off.

I just figure that the ingrown toenail removal went very wrong and now have damage to those two toes. But I could be wrong.

what pedals are you using for your road shoes vs. mtb shoes... I'd say your mountain bike shoes aren't hurting, so put those pedals on your road bike & see how that goes.

I would also check if there is a difference of where the cleats are set on your mt. bike shoes vs where they are set on your road shoes. I think on my Sidi Dominators it has two positions in which you can set your cleats.

I'm using Ultegra pedals on road and Time Carbons for mountain. I've had my bike professionally setup, so everything should be right, in terms of cleat placement. But I will double check with the bike store.

I tried for awhile riding with my mtb pedals on my road bike, but I never did like the set up.

Thanks!

they make great sandals for cycling, maybe you can use these in the summer, at least to give your toes a break?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Toe pain

I have just started riding longer distances and after 40 miles the pain in my toes is really intense. It kind of feels like they are turning into steel and are about to fall off. I also tried to put my orthotics in but they did not help. My shoes are not too tight, I used to have this problem running or playing tennis, but the orthotics did the trick. But this is not working on the bike. Help! susan

are you clipped in or using regular shoes to ride? If you're using regular shoes - find a stiffer sole that doesn't flex. If you're clipped in, you want your cleats sort of under the ball of your foot.. don't push off with your toes.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Honestly?
    Your toenails are probably too long.
    Try clipping them shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbracing View Post
    I've been cycling for 10 years and in the past 2 years, I've had major toe pains in both of my big toes. My toes feel numb, but to the point of hurting. It's mainly the top portion of my toes, close to the nail. The pain starts within two-three miles of a road ride and doesn't let up until my shoes are off. I've used a special insert in my shoes and I've tried without, it doesn't matter, my toes still hurt.

I have a pair of Sidi's, that I've worn with no problems up until 2 years ago. One small bit of info is that I did have 4 ingrown toenails removed from both of those toes about 4 years ago.

I have no problem with my mountain bike shoes, which are also Sidi's. I'm wondering if it's how my pedals/cleats are set up on my road bike, that I'm putting too much pressure on my toes or if I should go back to the doctor.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbracing View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Well my shoes are not too small, in fact I bought them a size too big, b/c at the time I knew my feet would swell. I've tried really thin and thick socks and it doesn't matter, toes still hurt. I've tried concentrating and putting all the pressure on my heels, it seems to work for a bit, but then the pain comes back.

The velcro on my shoes are so loose, my shoes could probably slip off.

I just figure that the ingrown toenail removal went very wrong and now have damage to those two toes. But I could be wrong.
    Even though you bought a larger size shoe, it might be possible that you just need a shoe with a wider toe box. This was my problem, and finding a shoe with a wider toe box (Northwave Velvet SBS) solved that problem. Notice that I said wider toe box and NOT a wider shoe in general. Just an idea that I thought I would throw out there.

I've never heard of that brand. I'll definitely have to look for them for my duck feet! It's not nearly so much of a problem cycling as it is running (or even walking), and forget about dress shoes - but more comfortable is always better. Thanks for the pointer!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler