Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Theme Help

Theme Help

To disable ads, please log-in.

After years and years of teaching Summer School dance class, my ideas and creativity are drying up! I need some help. With my older girls, I do a standard jazz routine, no problem, but I also do a prop routine where we build sets, etc. I can't come up with anything for this year. In the past I have done:

Ghostbusters: with a town, sheets (for ghosts) and buster guns
    Thriller: with tombstones and Thriller garb
    Cops and Robbers: Several different songs, Jailhouse Rock, Chain Gang, Inspector Gadget, Hit me With your Best Shot...you get the idea. Half were dressed like cops, half like robbers and during jail songs they had on striped shirts that they made. We also built a jail front.

These are the memorable ones, (and their favorites that they still talk about). It can be one song, or a whole selection, I can dub them together. Needs to be upbeat and appeal to 4-6 graders. Ideas for themes and/or music????
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Singing in the Rain, and other rain songs, umbrellas and boots as props. Fun to twirl around and make nice effects when open.

Maybe a colour theme - everyone in the same colour, or a couple of colours.

50s rock'n'roll, with wide skirts and gelled hair.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

This may be way off the mark, but do a youtube search for dog freestyle - just because those people are really imaginative and if you took some of their ideas, but without the dog, it might be really interesting.

Second idea is something patriotic
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

My daughter just finished a production of High School Musical and over 110 kids tried out from 8-18. It seems to have a wide appeal to that age group.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

Thanks for all of the help! Yeah, that High School Musical is all the rage now. That's where the jazz dance comes from, three of those movies and they aren't tiring of them yet! I think they are cute musicals and very clean, so I'm really glad my girls like them, (and of course Zac). Three years of HSM and three years of jazz dances from them.lol

I love some of the ideas. I'm really liking the color one. I can look on itunes for songs with red, white, purple, I don't know, the wheels are turning on that one. As far as the 50's, that was one of them I did, it seems to be more popular with their parents than the kids themselves, not sure why. The umbrella one is good too, all songs about weather? Expand it to sunny days? A few ideas to work with. (And of course tomorrow I'll talk it over with them too) Thanks.

I did look at youtube for the canine dance and oh my! The first one I watched was the Gladiator one, and I had to call my son in to see it. It was too funny!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

how about this?

my 9 year old has really, really been into ABBA because of a swedish pop group called the A-teens. They have a bunch of stuff on YouTube.
    She loves all those songs, I think it's hysterical. They do "Dancing Queen" and all those but also original songs like, "Floor filler"

How about Disco? Rock n Roll? Roaring 20's?

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by IGGY View Post
    my 9 year old has really, really been into ABBA because of a swedish pop group called the A-teens. They have a bunch of stuff on YouTube.
    She loves all those songs, I think it's hysterical. They do "Dancing Queen" and all those but also original songs like, "Floor filler"
    Dancing Queen song/dance theme would be awesomely fun for the kids' dance group! They could find their own dance costume interpetations of dancing queen.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Hey thanks everyone for the help! I guess I should clarify that even though they are 4-6 graders, they are all disciplined and excellent dancers! Most have danced with me for 3 years or more. Not really like a kids dance, more on the level of a High School prop routine.

Anyway, I was really pursuing the color idea, and we were coming up with songs with color when one girl goes "How about a Jungle?". Well, that was it. I knew someone somewhere could light the fire for me. Those four words were all I needed. I've ordered two metallic trees and we are building a grass hut. Using parts of Welcome to the Jungle, The Lion Sleeps Tonight (with large gold hoops) and an obscure rap with jungle sounds. I'll probably throw in 16 counts of Brass Monkey for fun. They love it and are excited now.

Thanks everyone! I appreciated the help.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    "How about a Jungle?".
    Oh - use some Lion King and Jungle Book too!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Brilliant. A jungle is going to be very very cool.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett