Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    +1, or alternately, start the track from a public place near your home. I live about a mile from a school, so I use that as the start/finish for bike loops that I create.

Also, if you post pictures of yourself in an event, don't forget to fuzz out the number on your race bib.
    Along those lines, if you post a photo of your car, blurring out your license plate would also be a good idea.

In this vein, is there a way to change our username without losing everything?
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

You'll have to PM an administrator to do that.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Quote Originally Posted by cunninghamair View Post
    In this vein, is there a way to change our username without losing everything?
    You will show up with the same post count but a new name. Keep your avatar so you won't confuse us all!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

To add to this for people who own their own web domains - keep in mind that your domain ownership info is available online to everyone, unless you pay a company that does private domains (the company's info will appear in place of yours).

I own quite a few domains and post a lot of photos and info online, so I pay for a PO Box and list my PO Box as my address for all my domains. It's cheaper than paying for a private listing for each of my domains, and gives me a mailing address for anything where I don't want to give my home address.

yeah do a whois for my website; "mimitabby.com"
    doesn't tell you much.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

What about meeting up with people you find on TE to go biking together? Any advice on that?

Oh, by the way Biciclista, I like your watercolors! I'm an artist too

PM's or private email
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

oh boy.

eep.

*thwaps forehead*
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Question Geotag risk

What about geotaging? Anyone read this article on the NYTimes today?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/te...e&ref=homepage

Who knew that pictures taken with a "smart" phone (iPhone, Blackberry etc) contain a tag that shows your exact latitude/longitude via a "geotag" embedded in the photo? Post them here or in any other website and, presto, your exact location pops up to knowleadgable (or devious) people.

Scary!

Thanks for the link! I tested a Facebook pic that I had taken with a GPS and, as the article said, FB strips the EXIF info. I'll sure keep that in mind though for other sites I may post to.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

While I do like to keep all my handles, e-mails, and avatars separate for most of the different boards I'm on, I've only ever had one account for posting photos (photobucket, but it could be anything). I recently found out, since my account name was a unique non-sense word, that if you google it EVERY site I have ever posted a picture on pops up. Everything.

I would suggest googling your e-mail address, user name, and any image upload accounts you have to see what pops up. If you aren't comfortable with it (I sure wasn't!) change it to something more common. My new photobucket account is Candoia - like my user name here, the only thing google will regurgitate is snakes.

I was once able to find out someones exact birthday by googling their e-mail address. They had used the same e-mail to sign up to an equestrian board where they posted their exact dob. They hadn't even visited the site in years. The internet is forever....

The internet is indeed forever...and thanks for the reminder. I just searched for the two main email addresses I use and am fine with that I found. This is one of the reason I removed myself from most actual email subscription years ago, those things stay forever and a day.

Not long ago I searched my name on one of the popular free background check sites and it returned the address of someone I used to know, the friendship did not end well. I think perhaps the reason my name is associated with his address is that my ex-husband may have co-signed for a credit card for him. It really creeped me out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    What about geotaging? Anyone read this article on the NYTimes today?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/te...e&ref=homepage

Who knew that pictures taken with a "smart" phone (iPhone, Blackberry etc) contain a tag that shows your exact latitude/longitude via a "geotag" embedded in the photo? Post them here or in any other website and, presto, your exact location pops up to knowleadgable (or devious) people.

Scary!
    That’s a good warning! It’s easy to turn off geotagging on camera phones if someone feels the need. On the iphone it’s, settings, privacy, location services…off. For my digital photos I also export images out of Lightroom with no metadata location info attached.