Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
    By the way, I've been wearing Vibrams for two years (long walks, around the house, etc).
    Because of this, my only recommendation would be to let your calves be your guide. That will take the longest to condition. To be honest, it took me about 6-8 months before I was totally done with calf pain and even now, I feel it when I increase my distances.

Had you not already spent a bunch of time barefoot, I'd have also suggested to pay really close attention to your feet because getting those muscles, ligaments and tendons into 'barefoot' shape also takes care. Of course, you should always pay attention to this, but it probably won't be a limiter for you.

Lastly, ramp slowly and avoid concrete. I notice that when I do runs on sidewalks, I can only take about 3 miles before I really start to feel it in my ankles and feet. On asphalt or dirt or gravel, I can go much longer pain free. I only just realized the other day that it was the concrete that made the difference (and not the different locations, different hill profiles, different speeds, etc). I've read that there isn't much difference in how your body feels concrete or asphalt if you are in shoes, but I can testify that there is a very big difference without shoes (minimal) over distance.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

[QUOTE=
    By the way, I've been wearing Vibrams for two years (long walks, around the house, etc).[/QUOTE]

I became interested in BF/minimalist running after I trained and completed my first 10 mile run last March. I started running about a year prior to that. I don't consider myself any sort of serious runner, I just wanted another type of exercise to keep myself active. I developed a menacing case of PF. So I bought a pair of VFFs and read all the information on BF running I could find. I started slow, and immediately had calf issues. I posted on a BF running forum and several members helped me figure out my issues. I started over completely BF. I began to realize my form/gait really changes when I wear VFFs compared to BF. I went to a BF running seminar hosted by Dr. Irene Davis, and ran with Barefoot Kenbob. He ran behind me and told me exactly what my problem was, and with LOTS of practice my form improved. I also learned to listen to my calves and didn't leave the house without my "stick" and foam roller. I also purchased a pair of Zems. For whatever reason, my form doesn't seem to suffer as much in Zems compared to VFFs. I go BF as much as possible even when I'm not running. Like the previous poster, be sure to listen to your calves and be careful increasing your mileage too soon. I've learned ALOT from several BF forums and from posts by Jason Robillard. As a matter of fact he just published a book on barefoot running. He's giving away free PDF downloads. If you google him, you're likely to find it.Somedays I run BF, other days I run in minimal shoes, somedays it's on chip and seal, other days it's on trails. I don't know if tossing my asics help rid my PF, or if it was a combo of many different things, but so far this is working out for me. But again... I'm not a serious runner. I'm slow and don't care too much about my miles, just having fun.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions.

Swimming seems to help alleviate most of the calf discomfort. I will take it slow and easy, not build up mileage too quickly. I'm registered for a 9/11 5K in September, and I can already handle the distance. ;-) My goal now is to run for fun and crosstraining. I'm not a competitive type, so it's more smiles than miles for me.

G--I agree w/you about concrete. I ran half- and full marathons back in the olden days, and I always opted for running in the road rather than take that pounding on concrete. Luckily, the MUT is .5 mile from our and there is a macadam nature trail at work!!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly