Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Touring Gear

Touring Gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everyone! Forgive me if this information is already posted somewhere here. If so, just tell me where to find it! I am new to touring and thinking about trying a 3-4 day self-supported tour with a friend involving camping. I have some idea as to necessary gear, but wondered if there is a website or a checklist that someone could share with me as far as essentials for a self-supported bike tour. Thanks!

Have you ever been backpacking? If so, then you just pack the usual Stuff on your bike instead of your back and off you go. (I know, the most frightening words in the English language are "All ya gotta do is . . .")

Lacking that experience, think light. Bike clothes (which can be rinsed out and re-worn), tent/tarp, sleeping bag, cooking gear and a rudimentary bike repair kit. A spare tube, pump, patches & tire irons for sure, then a small screwdriver & a 3-in-one allen wrench works for me. Oh, and if you are going with someone else, one set of tools is enough. You can share. For a short tour like that, don't take an entire Middle-of-nowhere full repair kit. You probably won't have the time for small problems to become big ones - and you're thinking light.

I like a set of off-the-bike clothes, especially dry socks and bra.

For some exhaustive and comprehensive lists, check out CrazyGuyOnABike.com. Many of the journals have great lists. You don't have to take everything, but you'll get an idea of what others take. The lists are generally in the first few pages of a journal - if it has one. You might also consider checking out the wrap-up pages in those journals, which often talk about all the Stuff they sent home or hauled along and never used.

Oh, and one last thing: Whatever else you pack, please don't forget your sense of humor and spirit of adventure. Those are the most important things you will ever carry along.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    If you have a super light water resistant cycling jacket and summer light similar pants it would be helpful ...if it should rain.

Let us know how your trip is like!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Here's a link to my gear list - maybe some food for thought...

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Thank you so much everyone! The trip will probably not happen until August, but I wanted to get a head-start so I can acquire the things I need over time. I am going to check out all of the links now! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg View Post
    Here's a link to my gear list - maybe some food for thought...

--- Denise
    Denise! How great to see you.

The articles section of crazyguyonabike.com is really good with very helpful information on it. I would definitely try there. The ACA site noted above is great, too. Good luck. We sure do want to hear about your trips.

This is also a great site, but you have to look a bit to find what you need!

http://bicycletouringpro.com
    Last edited by AnnieBikes; 06-01-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added website

Wow...all great links. I am learning a lot! Do any of you tour alone or do you usually go with a friend? I hope that my friend will be able to do the tour in August, but it is not a sure thing. I plan on ordering my Surly LHT in the next week or so and want to get some riding in! Perhaps I should try some supported tours where there will be other people around?

I've done it lots of ways, solo, with DH and on a big organized ride (RAGBRAI). Solo is fun because you don't have to please anyone but yourself. With someone is fun because you have someone to bounce ideas off of. It is also a friendly way to go. Organized rides are neat because the route is already planned and all you carry on your bike is your normal daily stuff.

Having DH along also means someone else gets to share the weight of the tent & cooking gear - unless this trip is a credit card trip, where they are not needed.

All approaches are valid and fun. You don't need to go on supported tours before a solo tour unless you want to. In my experience, a supported tour is more about Bicycle Culture, whereas going solo or with a trusted friend will give a better sense of place and people that you encounter. Both are valid - but different.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX