Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Breastfeeding Problems

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had a lot of difficulties nursing the first time around with DD, I could not get her to latch on. We hired a lactation consultant that came to our house every day for the first two weeks and had no success. DD was hungry all the time, we were exhausted and stressed--we decided to just switch to formula. We were all much happier after that.

Bear, however, latched on right away. I thought things were going great until our first follow-up appt where we learned he had lost an entire pound. So I tried nursing every 2 hours, even at night. He still didn't gain weight.

I finally had to supplement with formula. I'm using the Supplemental Nursing System from Medela. Bear finally gained some of his weight back. The doctor said I could cut back to supplementing just 3 feedings a day. He takes 1-2 ounces of formula this way.

When I don't supplement, he's hungry. Very hungry. So I'm finding that I am still having to supplement with every feeding. I'm pumping after I nurse him to try and build my milk supply--but it doesn't seem to be working.

I feel like I spend all day with my shirt off between nursing and pumping and supplementing with SNS.

What else can I do to increase my supply? I'm eating a good diet of 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day. I can't imagine I'm not eating enough.

Any suggestions?
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Drink lots of fluids. Try to stay relaxed. I nursed both my daughters and they did fine but the truth is I felt like I had a kid latched on 24/7 until they started on solid food. Good Luck.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I've always read that breastfed babies gain weight more slowly than formula fed babies, but by the time they are a year old, there is no significant weight difference. I think most babies lose weight at first after birth, don't they?

Maybe the weight gain charts are based on bottle fed infants? Heck, I'd also want to know whether formula companies produce those baby weight gain charts, in some sneaky plot to discourage breastfeeding.
    My two daughters were both totally breast fed for their first eight months, and one was a slender baby and the other was chubbier...go figure! They both turned into perfect, healthy, and delightful children.

I think that the more you supplement a breastfed baby with formula, the less interest they have in breastfeeding. Formula is easy for the baby to extract from the bottle- it tends to gush out at the slightest suck- breast milk is a bit harder work for them. I also suspect formula is more filling.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's help out there. I'd suggest contacting Le Leche League.

Here's a link to a chart specifically for breastfed babies.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

The site also says:

A few things to keep in mind when evaluating weight gain

A 5-7% weight loss during the first 3-4 days after birth is normal. A 10% weight loss is sometimes considered normal, but this amount of weight loss is a sign that the breastfeeding needs to be evaluated. It's a good idea to have a routine weight check at 5 days (baby should be gaining rather than losing weight by day 5), so that any developing problems can be caught and remedied early.

Baby should regain birth weight by 10 days to 2 weeks. If your baby lost a good bit of weight in the early days, or if your baby is sick or premature, it may take longer to regain birth weight. If baby does not regain birth weight by two weeks, this is a sign that the breastfeeding needs to be evaluated.

Always figure weight gain from the lowest point rather than from baby's birth weight.

Baby needs to be weighed on the same scale with the same amount of clothing (preferably naked) each time to get an accurate picture of weight gain. Different scales can give very different readings (I've personally seen a difference of a pound in two different scales); clothing or diapers can vary in weight and throw the numbers off. The scale should be zeroed before weighing, and baby should be centered on the scale tray. It's never a bad idea to do a second measurement (it should be close to the first) and then use an average of the two measurements. If your baby is very active or distressed, don't expect to get an accurate measurement. Babies grow in spurts rather than at a steady rate - to keep from needless worrying, it's generally best to weigh baby no more often than once a week.
    ~~

I think that is very good advice. At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much just yet. If the baby seems happy and is wetting and soiling like he should, I'd give it another week or two, and a lot more interaction with experienced nursing mothers before I gave up on it.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    I've always read that breastfed babies gain weight more slowly than formula fed babies, but by the time they are a year old, there is no significant weight difference. I think most babies lose weight at first after birth, don't they?
    Formula is easy for the baby to extract from the bottle- it tends to gush out at the slightest suck- breast milk is a bit harder work for them.
    It is true about the slower weight gain for breast fed babies, initially-- they do catch up. Also, the initial weight loss is normal particularly with a breast fed baby.
    There is a different sucking motion development between bottle and breast. It is quicker and easier for your son to get formula. It takes more effort to get breast milk. Breast milk is digested quicker, so breast fed babies are usually hungry again sooner. For a period of time I was feeding my son every 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. I was an absolute zombie. The initial weight loss can be also be tied into the fact that because breastfed babies exert more energy to get the milk, they burn off the calories quicker.
    It was explained to me with my son, when I didn't think I could continue on anymore, that I was depriving him, if I wanted to try to make breast feeding his sole nutrition that I would have to not offer supplemental feedings. You may have to offer yourself more than every two hours. It'll be very very hard, I know. He will be hungry and you will feel terrible. They called it "nipple confusion" and that he would become better at his sucking if only my breasts were offered. If your body responds, you will produce more. Just the act of watching him suckle on you will produce a greater level of oxytocin which should allow you to produce at a greater degree. That is where the supply = demand falls into place. It has been a while, but I still remember how "udderly"exhausting it was (a little humor)! Best of luck with your beautiful child.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    When I don't supplement, he's hungry. Very hungry. So I'm finding that I am still having to supplement with every feeding. I'm pumping after I nurse him to try and build my milk supply--but it doesn't seem to be working.
    If he's really hungry he will nurse harder and more frequently, and that will pretty quickly stimulate your milk supply. if you are giving him formula with every feeding he's not going to nurse very hard and your milk supply will start to dwindle. It's sort of like: however much formula you feed him, that's how much less milk your breast are going to make. Your breasts will start to adapt within just a few hours if they sense more need for milk and a stronger sucking, hungrier baby.
    Babies who get formula after breastfeeding learn that if they give up on the breast after a minute and start crying, they quickly get the bottle and they'll get more food faster without having to work for it much.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am not one to use herbal supplements at all but I was desperate and tried fenugreek and was amazed at how it increased my milk supply. I read quite a bit about it first and it seemed safe. Check it out if you are interested.

It does take a few days of frequent nursing to build up your milk supply but it should catch up with the baby's demands fairly quickly.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I had a lot of difficulties nursing the first time around with DD, I could not get her to latch on. We hired a lactation consultant that came to our house every day for the first two weeks and had no success. DD was hungry all the time, we were exhausted and stressed--we decided to just switch to formula. We were all much happier after that.

Bear, however, latched on right away. I thought things were going great until our first follow-up appt where we learned he had lost an entire pound. So I tried nursing every 2 hours, even at night. He still didn't gain weight.

I finally had to supplement with formula. I'm using the Supplemental Nursing System from Medela. Bear finally gained some of his weight back. The doctor said I could cut back to supplementing just 3 feedings a day. He takes 1-2 ounces of formula this way.

I feel like I spend all day with my shirt off between nursing and pumping and supplementing with SNS.

What else can I do to increase my supply? I'm eating a good diet of 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day. I can't imagine I'm not eating enough.

Any suggestions?
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I agree with all the information given above, but after trying everything available (La Leche, lactation consultant, etc), I was never able to nurse exclusively. I had a very laid back doctor with my first child and he kept telling me not to worry about the lack of weight gain. At one month, we went to a different doctor for a second opinion. To make a long story short my son was almost labeled failure to thrive which can lead to social services involvement. We started supplementing immediately and he quickly gained weight and then stabilized his weight. I was slightly more successful with my following two, but both required supplements. I definitely would continue to nurse as long as possible even if you have to supplement since you are providing important nutrients and immunity to your child. It was very difficult not to view this as a failure, but even my friends at the La Leche mothers group agreed it was the only responsible decision. It is a good thing I was not a pioneering woman - three c-sections, gestational diabetes and unsuccessful breastfeeding would have been very difficult to overcome without modern medicine. Good luck!
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

I nursed exclusively for about a year and a half, then supplemented with food for another 2 years, but she never ate much real food til I cut her off completely. I felt like a milk cow. Anyway, since I worked full time, I pumped, and I found that pumping really increased my supply. I would pump during off times when she wasn't hungry. Pretty soon I'd built up a huge reserve supply. I know it's weird but it was almost like exercising - I conditioned my body to produce more than we ended up needing.

Good luck!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I used fenugreek, too, in the form of a tea called Mother's Milk that you can get at healthfood stores. I bought mine at a place called Henry's. I nursed my daughter for two years and loved every minute. I never felt more goddess-like than when I was nursing her. (Probably the oxytocin that nursing produces to help you forget about the sharp little teeth gnowing into your tender nipples, but still.)

Good luck to you on this one.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

I breastfed 4 months with my first and almost a year with my second.

I found my girls would start to fall asleep during feeding then would be hungry very soon. I found Changing diaper or ticking toes helped keep them awake, thus fuller tummies ect.....

If mine could just stay latched they would have.....thus came the binky to sooth so they ate when they were really hungry and not just for comfort.

Maybe you could use the last meal before bed to supplement so you both can get more sleep. This helps both of you.... your more rested....so is baby and baby may nurse longer and harder. This will help you make more milk ect....

Congrats on your new baby!

Tina

what wonderful advice you guys are giving!
    I don't need to say a word except Doctors always seem to give advice that makes it harder to breastfeed. Listen to the TE gals. They know what for.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Limewave-

Are you rested? Are you running around trying to keep young ones entertained, meals on the table and a clean house? Stressed? (other than the breast feeding thing).

It really is an art- it took me a month to get our son latched properly as he was given a bottle after he was born (despite my strict instructions not to!) One side he would latch on fine, the other side- he sucked my nipple like it like a bottle nipple - it was so painful.

I agree, frequent (though when he goes through growth spurts he will naturally want to feed more- if I remember correctly 2-3 weeks is the first one, 5-6 weeks is the 2nd and 3 months is another.) Pumping, lots of fluids and calories and rest.

Sorry for the pun but "He's as hungry as a Bear!"

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

The importance of fluids cannot be overstated. Have a water bottle with you constantly. Every time you sit down to nurse, drink a glass of water. I do hope you've contacted your local LLL, and best wishes.

Thanks for the advice and support, everyone! It seems like everyone I know had an easy time breastfeeding. They can't relate to any of the problems I've been having.

I've been pumping after every feeding and drinking a ton of water. Yesterday I was able to go without supplementing until the night time feeding. It was a big break-through for us. He was finally satisfied

I really needed the encouragement here. DH was trying to be supportive but in all the wrong ways. I think it upset him to see me upset and so he kept telling me it was fine to quit and to just use formula . . . which, I know it would be fine. DD was formula fed and she's a beautiful, healthy little girl. But I really wanted to make breastfeeding work this time.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog