Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    whoa. Definitely not the one with Sora. That's too crappy a groupset.

Have you thought of buying used?

Yes but have not found anything. Even before I road in the tri I was leaning toward a road bike and been keeping my eye out for something. I just do not know enough about bikes to buy used without taking someone wiht me. Thats hard sometimes....

Sooo, I'm reading all responses today, triple this, double that, and just when I thought I was ready to purchase a road bike, NOW, I have even more to consider.......

Okay, I finally looked up this bike:
    http://www.cycle-world.co.uk/product...id=m1b0s6p6847

I don't know what price the bike shop is, but I think I'd recommend you avoid an 8 speed sora double.

If you end up upgrading the components on that... you're talking about a new set of shifters, a new cassette and possibly derailleurs... The price of which is going to be a lot.

I don't think I'd recommend you get less than a 9 speed double, and preferably a 10 speed... at least 105 level.

And I'd definitely look into used.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I hear you - But...

...there really is no big difference to a triple, IM(ns)HO, which I have also ridden. And I wasn't fit when I started cycling... and I wouldn't even try to climb in the big ring... ever....
    (hope I don't offend anyone if I say she does live in Texas, and I live in the Alps ... )
    Hills are different everywhere. The hills in Colorado are long, but rarely over 7% grade. In the North Georgia mountains, we get 9-10% grades, even sustained 13%. I had no problem climbing the Rockies on a double with a big (13-29) cassette, but for Georgia, prefer a compact. With a 13-29, I get the same gearing as a triple.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

+1 on avoiding Sora - i think that is more important than whether it;s a triple or double-- try and find something with at least Tiagra shifters to allow you to upgrade components later on, imho, if you can find something.

batsheva

My only problem with the compact was missing the higher end gear. I was finding that I was gearing out on downhill sections. This was a big issue with me especially when trying to hang with the boys in group rides since I don't have near the weight they do to fly down those hills. Just something to consider. I currently have a triple with a 52/39/30 and it suits me perfectly for both flat and hilly rides (I am over forty and do not have young knees). I would take both for a really long test ride with varied terrain if possible before you make your decision. I think what it comes down to is what will work best for your riding style. Oh, and +1 on getting 105 or better components!

One simple way a lbs owner put it to me was, "...with a compact, you loose the highest gear on a standard double, and the lowest gear on a triple...".

My old ride, that I learned the hard way was way too big for me had a triple. 50/39/30+12-27cassette. My new ride has a compact 50/34+12-25cassette.

With the old bike, I only used the smallest front ring once for the triple. This last w/e I took my new roadie girl out to that "one hill" that forced me to use it. I kept her in the big ring, changed up the back some, and just powered straight up... slow, but I did it.

Having a bike that actually fits you well, is huge for one thing. Hope you can work out one that's the best that way for you.

One thing I had read about on here, that turned out to be a lovely surprise for me as well with the compact... having my knees closer together, vs w/the triple.

At first, it's sorta strange. My knee pain also went away. I feel much more powerful and efficient in my pedal stroke with my legs being closer together.

Based upon that, I'm thinking no more triples for me. If I switched, it would be to a standard 53/39 double.

Good Luck shopping!
    Last edited by Miranda; 05-29-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Well.... I didn't put anything on layaway today. I rented a trek 2.1 52cm (they didn't have the 54cm WSD). This one has two front chain rings instead of 3. (not sure of the 3's).

I didn't like the reach or the width of the handlebars. Oh and the seat was HORRIBLE!

I plan to make a ride in the morning with a group. I will put on a memory foam seat or I won't make it 20 miles tomorrow!

I think I am going to hold off and look for either a used WSD bike or buy a new one when I get my bonus in either august or sept.

Thanks for all the advise.

Tina

Triples tend to have more shifting trouble than a double or compact double.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Jiffer View Post
    Triples tend to have more shifting trouble than a double or compact double.
    I don't think that's universally true, but it seems to be so in the lower range of the spectrum. I've got an Ultegra triple and I've had no issues worth mentioning over the last 4 years. But I think it would be different with Tiagra, and as other posters mentioned I would definitely avoid Sora... Sad but true.

My Ultegra triple shifts beautifully and I have probably 4,000+ miles on it with very little adjustments. DH was so impressed with how well mine shifted that he just put a Dura Ace crankset on his bike and can't believe the difference in shifting. So, unless you have a lower end triple components, I wouldn't worry about trouble shifting.

Sora isn't great but I rode 6,000 miles on mine before switching to 105. That is awful isn't necessarily true. With proper maintenance mine served me VERY well but I wanted a carbon frame. I am finding the same is true of my 105 gruppo, with maintenance it runs like a dream. The only thing I have a problem with is the 105 front deraileaur is a bit finicky but I take it to my shop and the usually trim it in for free if nothing else is needed. This is only once every 2-3 months not weekly. I regularly lube my chain with a good quality lube and my bike runs well.

If you are going to the hill country or even Dripping springs you might want the triple but for MOST of Austin I find with a little TITS (time in the saddle) you will probably be okay with the compact. I am a weak climber but I rarely use my granny gear whihc if you go compact I think you only lose that. I do ride a triple with a 12-28 back cassette but am thinking of switching to compact because I just don't use the smallest gear and I want to upgrade my bike to complete Ultegra one day.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 05-29-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I don't think that's universally true, but it seems to be so in the lower range of the spectrum. I've got an Ultegra triple and I've had no issues worth mentioning over the last 4 years. But I think it would be different with Tiagra, and as other posters mentioned I would definitely avoid Sora... Sad but true.
    +1

If triples truly had more problems, why would mtb come with triples? A sport that involves infinitely more shifting, and more precision, than road biking would weed triples out pretty fast if that were the case.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Mountain bike derailleurs have a lot stronger springs than road bikes... I've also seen a lot of mountain bikes with a bash guard for the big chain ring, so they're not really triples. I don't go into my big chain ring usually mountain biking, just stay in the middle or the granny.

For avoiding sora - I'm more saying avoid 8 speed with a double, I've never tried sora or tiagra. I can't see not wanting to upgrade that soon.

I haven't noticed any difference in the shifting abilities of my bikes that are ultegra or full 105, also haven't had any difficulties with the front derailleur needing trimmed regularly on the 105. I have one bike that's a 105 level triple & 2 bikes that are ultegra doubles.

I'm happy with my campagnola compact veloce. It's smooth and it works the best for me. The steepest hill i've ever done was 19% and I didn't run out of gears...