Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time For A Real Road Bike......

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok I have been riding very steady since the end of Feb. this year and loving it. I have been using a Cannondale hybrid.

Well...... last weekend Trek had demo bikes at the triathlon I was going to do (at the exp the day before the race) and I talked at length with the lady doing the demo of the WSD bikes. She asked me if I would like to try one and she did a few adjustments and I gave it a try on the trainer. It felt really good..... she asked me if I wanted to ride it in the race!!!!! In the back of my mind I was thinking .... never change anything race day ....but my heart was saying what the heck its a great bike! I finally decided to give it a try. I never even got to give it a road test because it was pouring cats and dogs. My maiden voyage was during the 12 mile bike portion of my FIRST triathlon. This bike (a trek 2.1 wsd bike) fit me like a glove and just felt natural. My wrists didn't hurt anymore when I road and for that matter the seat was better and my hind end didn't hurt either!!!

Problem is... I cannot afford a 1500.00 bike at the moment so now I need to find something a little cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions on a comparable bike? I would like to find a used one but I am not in a huge rush.

Oh and one more thing... I signed up to do a 65 mile bike ride in oct. I guess sometime before then is my deadline for a road bike.

Tina

If you really loved the Trek there are two models under the 2.1 - one that msrps for about $1000 and one for $870 - and generally the msrp is the highest price any shop will charge - so shop around and you will likely find a better deal (and of course you can always look for sales on last years models)
    Last edited by Eden; 05-21-2009 at 08:15 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Find a shop that will let you do a layaway?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Look for a used one on ebay or craigslist? (If you know your size & realize you're probably going to have to make adjustments to stem/handlebars/saddle & pay for that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Find a shop that will let you do a layaway?
    THATS A VERY GOOD IDEA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-1200-Alum-5...3A1%7C294%3A50

What about this frame? How much different is a 54cm to 56cm bike?

(I have a very good friend who builds bikes but I cannot get in touch with him at the moment. He already said he would build one for me.)
    Last edited by txred9876; 05-21-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Don't change sizes from the one you rode in the race. You will regret it. Trust me!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Don't change sizes from the one you rode in the race. You will regret it. Trust me!

Karen

SO 54 IT IS!

Try looking at the local Trek shops over the summer, the new models start trickling out at the end of the summer and sometimes you can get a little better deal. Both Bicycle Sport Shop and Mellow Johnny's are pretty good but I think there is University Cyclery or Freewheeling bikes that are also Trek. There are TONS of shops in Austin and It can pay off the just start poking around. Maybe you even find a 2007 or 2008 that has been marked down (I have seen some at several shops) and fits as well?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Try looking at the local Trek shops over the summer, the new models start trickling out at the end of the summer and sometimes you can get a little better deal. Both Bicycle Sport Shop and Mellow Johnny's are pretty good but I think there is University Cyclery or Freewheeling bikes that are also Trek. There are TONS of shops in Austin and It can pay off the just start poking around. Maybe you even find a 2007 or 2008 that has been marked down (I have seen some at several shops) and fits as well?
    I am going to have to start looking and see.....but I tend to get impatient...LOL

Tina

I would try now, I really think BSS and some of the other shops have some old stock. Who cares if it isn't the latest year, if the components and fit make you happy?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I would try now, I really think BSS and some of the other shops have some old stock. Who cares if it isn't the latest year, if the components and fit make you happy?

I would take a several year old bike if it fit right.

tina

Save Layaway

It is worth it to delay gratification ...

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Save Layaway

It is worth it to delay gratification ...
    I am thinking of my wrists! I didn't realise how much they hurt on my current setup until after I road the other bike.

Tina
    Last edited by txred9876; 05-21-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txred9876 View Post
    I am thinking of my wrists! I didn't realise how much they hurt on my current setup.

Tina
    There's a lot of threads on here for what you can adjust about your bike so that your wrists don't hurt.