Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

24 hour racing anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So...I'm doing my first 24 hr race this weekend. To make things more fun, I've decided to try the the solo category. LOL. I've done multiday adventure races and other 24 hour events so I know what it's like to be tired, in pain, dehydrated, etc. However, in recent years I've become a cyclocross racer so my lack of endurance should make this interesting I just want to see what 24 hour racing is all about and if I like it, I may switch my focus for the rest of the year.

I've received some great advice from friends but was wondering if any TE gals had some tips to pass along.

Thanks!

Which one are you doing this weekend?

I don't race 'em but I usually show up to help out some way or another.

24 hrs round the clock in Spokane. I will be in a black/red Therapeutic Associates kit and most likely in last place...LOL!

I've only done 24-hour road races, but a Rockstar or Redbull around midnight does wonders.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Drtgirl View Post
    24 hrs round the clock in Spokane. I will be in a black/red Therapeutic Associates kit and most likely in last place...LOL!
    LOL If I'm there helping out I'll be in my pink Ride Like a Girl ball cap...;-)

Good luck!

I've done a couple of 24hour MTB races but in teams rather than solo. A couple of my friends have gone solo at the same time so I got to see it up close and personal.

Most of the friends who have struggled have had unrealistic expectations of what is required to go hard for 24hours. Almost without exception they have gone out too hard and paid the price by underestimating the mental commitment required.

Part of the training must involve spending very long periods in the saddle. One friend even used to get up at midnight and ride for 5hours to simulate the witching hours on the bike.

It seems to be the little things. One guy over-trained and got a cold and it pretty much stuffed his race. Another time the same guy messed up his nutritional needs and cramped up. Another just got bored and sat down for a while and then lacked the will to get back up and go out there again. And another got a really sore butt and it just hurt way too much to keep riding. For what it's worth, he did keep riding but made the comment "I'm afraid to change knicks because I don't think I'd like what I'd find! Took him about a week to walk normally afterward.

So, I think it's as much about getting all those little things right as the actual miles on the bike. Make sure you get your nutrition dialled in, that you get your kit sorted so you have a comfy butt and that you have had a few rides in the wee small hours and with your adventure experience you should be set.

I know the only reason I would go solo would be because I didn't want to be the slow person in a team and wanted to just ride as much or as little as I felt like on the night. I expect I would not ride continuously and would stop for meals and a chat etc. Besides, I got a really sore butt from the knicks I wore in the first 24hour I did as a team so I have NO chance of making it through 24hours Solo!

Hats off to you Drtgirl - you're a tough chick! Hope you do great.

Can't wait to hear about it! Best of luck! Be safe and have a blast!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

So how did it go? What a fabulous weekend!!! I figure dust, sunburn and heat exhaustion would be the things to look out for. Some years it's mud and hypothremia and your tent blowing away.

The race was awesome!!! I managed 11 laps and 165 miles. Not bad for a cyclocross racer whose longest ride ever was 75 miles!

24 racing is strange- you have so many highs and lows throughout the race. Lap 1 was fun, #3 was awful, #9 felt super fast, and #11 felt like a death march. And to my suprise I did not get bored riding in circles- I was always thinking about the next pit stop and what I needed. I managed to avoid stomach issues- I ate very little solid food and relied on Perpetuem and gels for most part. I also took two Endurolytes per lap and did not have any cramping either. No mechanicals but my bike is definitely on it's last leg with totally blown front and rear suspension (new bike didn't arrive in time for the race- bummer).

I am totally hooked!

Congrats on the race! Sounds like you stated with a plan and stuck to it!
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

The race was awesome!!! I managed 11 laps and 165 miles. Not bad for a cyclocross racer whose longest ride ever was 75 miles!

24 racing is strange- you have so many highs and lows throughout the race. Lap 1 was fun, #3 was awful, #9 felt super fast, and #11 felt like a death march. And to my suprise I did not get bored riding in circles- I was always thinking about the next pit stop and what I needed. I managed to avoid stomach issues- I ate very little solid food and relied on Perpetuem and gels for most part. I also took two Endurolytes per lap and did not have any cramping either. No mechanicals but my bike is definitely on it's last leg with totally blown front and rear suspension (new bike didn't arrive in time for the race- bummer).

I am totally hooked!
    Sounds like an awesome race. How many 6 and 12 hour solo's did you have under your belt before jumping to the 24? I'm doing my first 6 hour solo this August and want to try 12 hour solo but am a little nervous. Can you describe your training?

Jeni - who says she races mtb to keep in shape for cross but really really likes mtb too!

Jeni- this was my first experience with endurance MTB racing ever. I came off cross season wanting to do something differeng and decided a 24 solo would be it. I rode the trainer through the winter (1-2 hours at a time) and tried to get out on the MTB once a week if it wasn't too nasty out. By the time April rolled around I was thinking that my training sucked so I did a few 50 and 75-mile road rides. Looking back I should have trained harder but oh well!

My one piece of advice would be to watch what you eat and drink. I barely ate any solid food and still avoided the bonk, but I was super dehydrated- so much that I didn't really pee until late in the evening. I didn't test my liquid diet until the race and was lucky that things worked out. A lot of other racers were not so fortunate!

Good luck!

Jeni- this was my first experience with endurance MTB racing ever. I came off cross season wanting to do something differeng and decided a 24 solo would be it. I rode the trainer through the winter (1-2 hours at a time) and tried to get out on the MTB once a week if it wasn't too nasty out. By the time April rolled around I was thinking that my training sucked so I did a few 50 and 75-mile road rides. Looking back I should have trained harder but oh well!

My one piece of advice would be to watch what you eat and drink. I barely ate any solid food and still avoided the bonk, but I was super dehydrated- so much that I didn't really pee until late in the evening. I didn't test my liquid diet until the race and was lucky that things worked out. A lot of other racers were not so fortunate!

Good luck!
    You're horrible. You train JUST LIKE ME! So no 6 or 12 hour solo's. just jumped right into 24? Bada$$, you rock it!