Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    9,351

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    How about "The Wall" or "Dark Moon".


    Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.


    TandemHearts.com

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Heights, CA (Upland)
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Are you doing Barb's Race?

    Veronica
    Yes, it's Barb's Race. This will be my first relay. I don't do running or swimming. I ventured into running for a while. Did two half marathons of "walk/running" ... but officially retired from running never to return! Why run when I can ride a bike?!

    Anyway, my sister is all into triathlons, so she sucked me in. She's running and her friend is swimming.

    Have you done this event before and, if so, can you tell me about the cycling portion. I read a pretty decent race report about it, but I'd like to know what the actual elevation gain is and any other comments you have about it. I know there are a lot of rolling hills and one big hill at the end.

    Maybe we'll see you there.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

    2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Heights, CA (Upland)
    Posts
    1,068
    Keep bringing 'em ladies! Remember, this is a triathlon relay, so bike specific names won't work ... but cute ideas.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

    2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiffer View Post
    Keep bringing 'em ladies! Remember, this is a triathlon relay, so bike specific names won't work ... but cute ideas.
    Darn! I was going to suggest the Maglia Rosas

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    9,351
    Discipline is remembering what you want.


    TandemHearts.com

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,628
    Why not what you said in your post - Think Pink?
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newberg, OR
    Posts
    758
    Pinky and the Brains?
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68


    Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Heights, CA (Upland)
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by oxysback View Post
    Pinky and the Brains?
    I actually thought of that! Only not the "brains" plural, part. Dh and I used to LOVE that show!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

    2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    8,783
    Team Kickazz
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    9,351
    Now that I'm home and can look at my data...

    over 56.1 miles the route climbs 1580 feet, so pretty flat.

    There were two climbs that I made note of - the first comes at about 24 miles and it's a two mile hill at about a 2% grade. You will have been gradually climbing in that 16 miles and will probably have a headwind as you're traveling north up the valley.

    The second is Chalk Hill. It's about 6% for .7 miles. It's 42 miles into the ride. It's preceded by a few shorter climbs.

    When you get to the bottom of Chalk Hill and turn left on the route, be prepared for a pretty short but steep uphill.

    The Barb's Race website has a great description of the course, so if you are going up early, I'd highly recommend driving the course.

    Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.


    TandemHearts.com

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Heights, CA (Upland)
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Thanks. Congrats on getting your 16 average on the bike, since that's the high end of what you were shooting for. And 3rd in your division! Awesome, girl!

    Did you use a bike computer that tells you elevation gain? Do you know what it was? I'm not "too" worried about it at this point, but curious.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

    2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    9,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiffer View Post

    Did you use a bike computer that tells you elevation gain? Do you know what it was? I'm not "too" worried about it at this point, but curious.
    See post # 25.

    Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.


    TandemHearts.com

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Heights, CA (Upland)
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Now that I'm home and can look at my data...

    over 56.1 miles the route climbs 1580 feet, so pretty flat.

    There were two climbs that I made note of - the first comes at about 24 miles and it's a two mile hill at about a 2% grade. You will have been gradually climbing in that 16 miles and will probably have a headwind as you're traveling north up the valley.

    The second is Chalk Hill. It's about 6% for .7 miles. It's 42 miles into the ride. It's preceded by a few shorter climbs.

    When you get to the bottom of Chalk Hill and turn left on the route, be prepared for a pretty short but steep uphill.

    The Barb's Race website has a great description of the course, so if you are going up early, I'd highly recommend driving the course.

    Veronica
    Thanks so much. That's totally helpful. The climbing doesn't sound too bad at all. And this from a person who completely avoided hills whenever possible for the first half of last year. Yet this weekend I'm doing Heartbreak Hundred with upwards of 7,500 to 8,000 feet! What am I THINKING?!

    I'm thinking I am forcing myself to get better at climbing. The more I climb, the better I get.

    Thanks for all your info. I do hope to drive the course before hand.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

    2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    836
    How about the Pink Panthers?
    Andrea

    1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    4,083
    "Ride like a Girl".
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

    1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •