Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Another newbie!

Smile Another newbie!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello from another newbie! My husband has been cycling for a year and a half...he started riding to lose weight and reduce his blood pressure...and it worked! He is now hooked and rides 50 miles every Sunday with his club. I need to exercise more so I thought I would give cycling a try. The first day I rode 17 miles, then last weekend I rode 20 miles on Saturday and 15 on Sunday...I think I am getting hooked too! The bike I have been riding is my MIL's old Schwinn Suburban from the 70's..I am 5'11" and she is petite, so I feel like I am riding a tricycle sometimes..I need to get my own bike soon My husband signed up for a century in the end of August and I signed up for the mini-metric (38 miles) so I am hoping I can do it. I am reading Selene Yeager's book on cycling and learning a lot. I love reading the board and I am inspired by all your stories. Everyone seems so welcoming and encouraging and I am looking forward to being a part of it!

Kerry in Huntington Beach, CA

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Welcome to TE, Kerry! Glad you decided to come here, as this is one fantastic bunch of women (and a few good men, too).
    Cycling is pretty addictive. I'm sure you're glad you got bit by the bug, and I'm sure your DH is glad, too. It's a great activity to share together.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey how GREAT that you are getting into cycling along with your husband!
    Keep it up and welcome to TE!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome! I am new too and new to cycling!

Kerry,

Welcome to the GROUP!!!!

I too am new to road biking with my husband...........one thing that has REALLY HELPED is getting a good bike!!! When we first started riding I thought that i would not pay more then $XXX for a bike. Well, at our LBS they had me ride a bike that was about three times as expensive as I thought I would pay. Well...........the ride was like no other.........it was a bike fitted for a female rider with narrower handle bars etc and I fell in love. Needless to say it has been the BEST DECISION!!! It is comfortable even after 70 miles, light (about 16 lbs) so that I can make 17-20 percent grades, any time I have issues (I fell and knocked the gear shifters out of whack) my LBS takes care of me and. I guess what I am saying is invest in the most expensive bike that you can...........it will enhance your riding and keep you comfortable and SAFE!!!

Jo Ann

Quote Originally Posted by joannofsonoma View Post
    Kerry,

Welcome to the GROUP!!!!

I too am new to road biking with my husband...........one thing that has REALLY HELPED is getting a good bike!!! When we first started riding I thought that i would not pay more then $XXX for a bike. Well, at our LBS they had me ride a bike that was about three times as expensive as I thought I would pay. Well...........the ride was like no other.........it was a bike fitted for a female rider with narrower handle bars etc and I fell in love. Needless to say it has been the BEST DECISION!!! It is comfortable even after 70 miles, light (about 16 lbs) so that I can make 17-20 percent grades, any time I have issues (I fell and knocked the gear shifters out of whack) my LBS takes care of me and. I guess what I am saying is invest in the most expensive bike that you can...........it will enhance your riding and keep you comfortable and SAFE!!!

Jo Ann
    Great advice. I am currently on BF's hand me down and although funds are tight for me I am thinking a good bike fitted to me is a worthwhile investment.

get your own if at all possible!!

Quote Originally Posted by arielmoon View Post
    Great advice. I am currently on BF's hand me down and although funds are tight for me I am thinking a good bike fitted to me is a worthwhile investment.
    hey there, unless you and your BF are very close in size, you'll be much happier and comfortable on a bike that's your size.

so many folks start riding on borrowed bikes or just buy the first bike they see, and a few weeks later decide they 'can't' ride because something hurts or it's just not comfortable. so another poor bike is orphaned.

Get measured and try a bunch of different ones, steel, aluminum, carbon, ti, or a combination of any of those. Everyone is different, some love the feel of carbon, others are steel or ti fans (that's me), but you won't know until you try them all.

If your LBS doesn't take your measurements before putting you on a bike, they shouldn't be your LBS. just my 2 cents

Welcome Kerry let us know how your ride goes. I am new too and I know that a good fit is key.