Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

gosh, it brings back painful memories. Last year while riding back from a friends' to look in on their house while away, I went on a road I'm not too familiar with. It goes from one block, down another, and over to another in a zig-zag, and trying to be consciensious I used my hand signal to turn left. Then *BAM* I'm trying so hard to regain my balance but with only one hand it was hard so over I went onto the road.

It was the worst spill I ever had, I thought I'd broken my leg as my right leg was covered in blood. I still have nasty scars from that spill on many places of my body. And speaking of broken, I was sure my poor bike was. The handlebar was twisted about 30 degrees, and my chain had come off but otherwise none the worse for wear (phew!)

The pothole was narrow but deep and right on the bike path. I limped back home and called the City to bring it to their attention. I went back half an hour later to take photos in case my injuries were severe enough, and the road crew was already there filling it. Very impressed at their speed and diligence. Though I must say that pothole was an accident (and potential lawsuit) waiting to happen.

So I can thoroughly sympathise!

The other day, I was riding about 500m to have lunch with a friend. I too signaled the turn and while executing it, (nearly) ran over a big pot hole - grabbed my bars - thought I was going to die... ran over ANOTHER pot hole - still, barely have control of the bike - still think I'm going to die - am headed right for grass and curb! Luckily, our curbs are rounded here and I was on my surly, so I decided to take the curb rather than wiping out... still thing I'm going to die... get onto the grass... bummpidy bummpidy bummpidy, somehow fix all the discombobulation - and now I'm laughing my a$$ off... then I ride back down the curb and am shaking like a leaf when I finally lock the bike up for lunch... tee hee My friends really think I should stay off the bike... what do they know ?

On GITAP this year (last week - week long tour of the Grand Illinois Trails and Parks) one of our Dept. of Natural Resources staff guys did 90 miles and then hit a pothole in the motel parking lot ... broke the collarbone in two places and it's surgery with metal pieces. So -- do the tents, not the motels... and watch that last stretch in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Oh yeah. I hit one at about 40mph on the descent into Telluride. Hit it so hard it knocked my handlebars loose. It was all I could do to safely stop as it was quite steep and my brake levers were moving around on me. Took 2 minutes to tighten them back up, 15 for the adrenaline to stop shaking my knees.
    Well, that was last year's Ride the Rockies. Had the same thing happen this year. Grrr. They do an awesome job of marking all potential hazards, but the road down from Independence Pass was in pretty bad shape in places. They marked a really bad pothole, but missed a divot that was just deep enough to once again knock my bars - not loose, but down a bit. Luckily, I was already slowing because some other riders had gone down just ahead. I had the SAG driver go back up and mark this one too.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.