Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Colorado National Monument?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone biked through here unsupported? We have one day before RTR and a few days afterwards, and I want to ride here, but worried about finding water. We'll be starting/stopping in Grand Junction. I've done that loop before on our first Ride the Rockies, but there were official sag stops with water, so I didn't pay attention to places to top off.

Thanks!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    There is water at the visitor's center (well, there is at the campground, which is near the visitor's center). There is also water at Devil's Kitchen picnic area on the other side of the park.

They are now requiring lights in the tunnels. Check the "bicycle regulations" on the website if you haven't already: http://www.nps.gov/colm/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm

Have fun. I LOVE the monument!

I live in GJ and the Monument is a regular ride.

There is water at the visitors center but that is over on the west side, near Fruita. As far as I know, there is NO water at the Devils Kitchen picnic. I usually top up my water on the east side at the Albertsons store at the bottom of Monument Road.

And yes, lights on bikes are required. They are going to crack down on that.

When is RTR? And when will you be in town? Give me a holler and if I'm around I'll ride with you!
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by surlypacer View Post
    I live in GJ and the Monument is a regular ride.

There is water at the visitors center but that is over on the west side, near Fruita. As far as I know, there is NO water at the Devils Kitchen picnic. I usually top up my water on the east side at the Albertsons store at the bottom of Monument Road.

And yes, lights on bikes are required. They are going to crack down on that.

When is RTR? And when will you be in town? Give me a holler and if I'm around I'll ride with you!
    RTR starts on June 14, so we're warming up on the Monument on June 12th before heading towards Glenwood (I get in late Thursday night). We'll top off at the Albertsons. We'll be riding it from east to west, and then we'll top off again at the visitor's center on our way back through Fruita. We'll have front and a rear lights.

THanks!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Just returned from a bike ride in Moab.
    We "drove" the rim of Colorado Monument Natl Park--OMG, looked fabulous. I definitly want to ride it one day. Looks tough, but do-able. However I need to definitly bring the triple (did Moab on my double) and get better at descents (looks scarey). Never knew it existed, but looks like a great ride (was in the car--but would be better by bike!)
    K

(P.S.--Flatlander from sea level!)
    katluvr