Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Colorado Alpine Tour -- next month?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a 57 yo road bike rider in La Veta, CO. I have been on Tour de Wyo the last two years and LOVE it, also ridden BAK and have toured in TX and NM, but THIS year I have signed up for a REALLY challenging ride. I'm writing on the very longshot chance that one of you TE readers -- or some other strong gal cyclist you know -- would also like to take this trip (details below) and be my room mate. It's $1290 for a double and $2120 for a single, so the savings are considerable with a roomie. That price covers hotels, lunches and van sag support -- there will be max 30 people with two vans. I know the trip organizers and can vouch for them. It will be a strong group of riders on an insanely climb-acious trip -- basically over ALL the high passes in CO. I am SO psyched, and training hard, but carefully :^)

Here is the itinerary:
    Colorado Alpine Tour 2009
    June 13 – June 28
    Sat June 13 Meet in Golden
    Sun June 14 Golden to Idaho Springs – 62 mi
    Mon June 15 Idaho Springs to Fairplay – 72 mi
    Tue June 16 Van Portage to Buena Vista Ride to Basalt – 63 mi
    Wed June 17 Basalt to Hotchkiss – 77 mi
    Thu June 18 Van Portage to Gateway Ride to Naturita – 94 mi
    Fri June 19 Naturita to Ouray – 70 mi
    Sat June 20 Ouray to Durango – 69 mi
    Sun June 21 Van Portage to Pagosa Springs Ride to Creed 64 mi
    Mon June 22 Creed to Gunnison 95 mi
    Tue June 23 Gunnison to Buena Vista 69 mi
    Wed June 24 Buena Vista to Vail – 71 mi
    Thur June 25 Vail to Winter Park – 92 mi
    Fri June 26 Winter Park to Estes – 80 mi
    Sat June 27 Estes to Idaho Springs – 74 mi
    Sun June 28 Idaho Springs – Mt Evans- Lakewood 84

Anyway, I know it's a longshot, but think about it, pass it around and maybe I'll make a new cycling friend :^)
    Please contact me directly by phone or email (below) if you are serious, and soon! thanks for your consideration,
    Sandy Borthick
    borthick@amigo.net
    phone 719-742-5702

Hi Sandy,

What company is running this? Can't do it this year (doing Ride the Rockies) but this looks great for next summer.

Thanks!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

It's a private trip that the organizers run every other year for friends. Here's a link to the 2005 route description:
    http://www.spcycling.org/pdf/MtnMadn...escription.pdf

Can't do it this year. I already have a few backpacking trips planned. Good luck and have fun.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Sounds like a lot of painful fun. Two weeks of climbing in Colorado sounds dreamy, but this flatlander would need a year's worth of training to be ready for something like that. Our little 500 ft hills make those mountains giggle because they're so tiny and cute.
    Have a great time! I hope you can find someone to go along with you. Can they not randomly put you with a roommate to help defray the costs? Surely someone else is traveling solo and would like to share a room.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Thanks for writing back everyone -- if I don't get a room mate I will just enjoy the luxury. It is the MOST ambitious thing I have trained for yet and I'm really excited! Training carefully, too -- fortunately, I have the Stonewall Century route just outside my door, see http://www.spcycling.org/pdf/Stonewa...uteProfile.pdf so that gives me climbing climbing climbing!

oops -- reply to Tri Girl. There are less than 30 people on the trip. At first they expected to have a room mate for me, but let me know last week they don't. That's why I am so last minute. The other multi-day rides I have been on were camping trips, or my guy was sagging us so we shared a room. Anyway, lesson learned, for NEXT time -- I'll get it in gear to recruit a roomie sooner!
    have a great ride TODAY!