Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Can't decide on a bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I realize that fit is most important, but I am struggling with which bike to actually get. I love the Orbea's, wishing I could afford the opal, but don't really need that and then there are the Trek WSD 5.1 that I like too. I have been a mountain biker forever and am just getting interested in road riding. Although this is really a silly point, all my favorite colors come in the more expensive bikes. I looked at a few felts too. Any suggestions regarding this decision would be great.

Priorities for me are

1) fit, fit, fit in descending order of priority

2) groupset / correlates to your budget

3) frame material (correlates to your budget and aluminium leaves more money for componentry) (actually this would be preceded by weight but the components factor into that as well)

4) rest of componentry - wheels, pedals, handlebar, seatpost, in descending order of priority)
    5) distance to LBS vs. support you get (initial fit, recommending bike according to your needs, not according to what they have on the floor or need to get off it - tune-ups, turnaround time for repairs, selection of other stuff you can get in descending order of priority)

color comes wayyyy down the list.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 05-11-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Thanks for you help. That was sort of how I was looking at it. Confirmation always helps. I was thinking about carbon for a frame and ultegra for component group. Trying to find the right fit.

I agree that color should not be the main deciding factor, but it did make a difference for me. Last fall I bought a Trek Madone 4.7, which I believe is the same color combo as the 5.1. I'm not crazy about the color and it's hard to keep clean, but I am in love with the bike in general. And one nice thing about white is everything goes with it! I must admit though, if I had hated the 4.7 color, I would not have bought the bike. You have to look at it every time you ride, and for me, I want to like what I'm looking at.

I started a thread a while back about bike color and how important it is to different people:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...mportant+color

Wink

I am thinking about getting the girly color now more than ever. My husband said something about women specific design and him being able to use my new bike sometimes. So I think pink is the way to go. I think I have narrowed my search to an orbea either the onix or the opal. Not sure I want to spend the extra money on the opal. I also don't want to show up for rides with the super elite opal and not be the fastest one there. Something about a bike like that makes me think people will expect more from me. And the onix is that nice white with pink that my husband will totally want to take for a spin. But your both right fit does seem most important and I will have to get on that and stop worrying about color. I can live with anything if I get a good deal and like the ride.

unfortunately, if you've had blue bikes all your life (for example) and you really really DO NOT want another blue bike, color gets to be more important. I put my money where my mouth is and bought a custom bike because (sigh) at the time there were NO orange bikes in women's sizes. Now there are many more options, but i still wanted to go custom.. i'm just saying, color is what you have to look at!
    It says something about who YOU are.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I've never managed to get a bike in the color I wanted or a kayak for that matter. I just learn to love what I have or what was available that fit in the componentry I wanted for the price I wanted.

However, you can usually start personalizing the bike you get to something that's more similar to your personality.... handlebar tape or something like that.

yes, that's true. That's what i did with my Bianchi. I changed everything on it that I could. Then i even made orange racing stripes with tape to go around the tubes.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I'll let you know where it all lands after this weekend of trying bikes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    i'm just saying, color is what you have to look at!
    yes, I hear ya, BUT - frame and components are what you sit on - and they determine how fast you ride (and how comfortable you are) while color does not. So my 2 cents is to put fit, components, materials on top of the priority list.

That said - I am also somewhat attentive to colors and I'm one of the fashion-conscious cyclists that wear matching kits
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    yes, that's true. That's what i did with my Bianchi. I changed everything on it that I could. Then i even made orange racing stripes with tape to go around the tubes.
    Hey now we want PICTURES!!!
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes